How to get minor carpentry repairs done to my house?

I am a new house owner (a condo convert) and I have 1910 Craftsmen in Seattle. Some of the timbers on the railings on the front porch are starting to rot. They are custom pieces of wood - not something I'd be able to pick up from Home Depot.

I was wondering what sort of tradesman to contact to get them replaced? Any personal recommendations would be even better.

Any help for this rookie greatly appreciated.

Ian.

Reply to
ibutcher

Bennett Price

You need a carpenter or knowledgeable handyman. Go to the nearest lumberyard. Ask around. At many of the lumberyards, they have a spot for the tradesmen that buy from the to place their business cards. Take down the names of a couple and give them a call. You may even run into one while there picking up his material for a job he is doing now and you can ask if it is something that he can do.

Recommendations from neighbors also works. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

snipped-for-privacy@real.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I just had some work done in my 1903 house. I searched the yellow pages and internet for "millwork", "woodwork", and "carpentry" and found a company in my area that did custom jobs. They already had the profile of my casings and, with it being a custom run, I had to order a minimum of

40', but that was not a problem. They did not have a profile that matched my 7.5" baseboard, so I gave them a sample and they were able to reproduce it beautifully. Finally, I asked them for recommendations for installers, and they gave me the name of a local guy, who ended up installing everything and doing a fantastic job.

Good luck, Dee

Reply to
Dee