replacement window installation time?

Hi,

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I'm hoping to replace one very old, single (fixed) pane picture window with two Pella casements (Designer Series) before the cold weather sets in.

In case they can't schedule the installation before it gets cold, I'm wondering how long the house would actually be "open" for. I'm going to have Pella (or their subcontractor?) install it, so the installers

*should* be reasonably quick about it. Can anyone here give me an idea as to how long I would expect there to be a gaping hole in my house during the process?

I live in New England, and am trying to figure out if I should wait 'til spring if they can't schedule the work in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance for any info!

~~Meri

Reply to
Meri

Barring some major obstacle the "hole" should only be there for a few minutes. Replacing a window is less than a full day for replacment style windows.

The guy that came out to your house to measure the windows should be able to tell you how long the job will take.

Reply to
RayV

According to RayV :

Yes, "a few minutes" is about right.

We had 3 windows (sashless sliders) replaced with vinyl casements. All up it took about 4-5 hours, and we were missing _something_ in the windows for considerably less than half an hour in total.

I think there was snow on the ground (north of Toronto) at the time ;-)

In modernish construction it's relatively simple:

tear off trim cut out caulk seals etc. cut thru frame mounting nails drive out shims (cutting the nails often does this already) pull out window put in new window nail/screw in place rebuild insulation, vapor barrier, caulk. possibly rebuild exterior trim

Final interior trim/seal work is often left to the homeowner.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

The small amount of open time is better than the losses for hte entire winter if you have crappy windows. In most cases, it is minutes per window of actual open time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks to all for the great information!

I'm totally psyched to finally be getting rid of this non-opening, heat-stealing eyesore of a window that I've tolerated for {gulp!} 20 years!

~~Meri

Reply to
Meri