Window installation questions

I need to install a window A/C unit (8000 BTU) in the garage.

But there is no window, only drywall on the inside and vinyl siding on the outside.

Questions:

  1. What is the best type of vinyl window for the sole purpose of supporting an A/C unit?

  1. There are (2) 42" high x 16" deep base cabinets attached to the wall below where the A/C unit will be located. Will these cabinets have to be removed during installation? The unit will rest at least

12" above the cabinets.

  1. Approximately how much should I expect to pay someone to install the window, excluding the cost of the window?

Reply to
Brad Parks

Get a through the wall air conditioner. You won't need a window, nor will you have to remove the air conditioner every fall.

NJBrad

Reply to
Brad Bruce

If possible you may want to just build the AC unit right into the wall and forget about the window all together. I have done a few this way wiht no problems. You just have to make sure you don't cover the side vents if it has any. Installing it in the wall allows you to get it up a lot higher then you would be able to in a window. And with AC the higher the better. For a normal installation it take around 4 hours start to finish. Not sure what you carpenters charge per hour in your area. Good Luck

Reply to
Randd01

What do you do if the unit breaks beyond repair and a replacement unit of the same size cannot be found?

Reply to
Brad Parks

  1. They are more consisently sized than window air conditioners
  2. A window AC doesn't fit the window very well either.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Bruce

You do a little patching, putty and paint. No problem.

Reply to
PJx

The good news is, most units are getting smaller with better efficiency. Filling is a few inches is much easier than cutting out a few inches. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski