Asbestos In Flooring?

Hi,

When we had an estimate for new kitchen flooring the installer opined that our vinyl flooring probably contained asbestos (ca 1981) therefore they couldn't remove it. They would put down a 1/4" of plywood then the new flooring over it.

Q1: Would vinyl from that era really have asbestos?

Q2: Is the plywood over the existing floor reasonable?

Q3: Would the asbestos create a resale problem? (Asbestos was common when I grew up.)

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Gary Brown

Pansy assed contractor

Who knows, you did not supply specific information

Older homes this is an known problem, mitigation on your part is an bonus how much is up to your area.

Reply to
SQLit

I thought it was outlawed in homes after 1977.

Yes. Asbestos aside, it is oftne done that way. Mine was about 7 years ago. Still looks good.

No. Since you don't know for sure and I really don't think there is any, I don't think you have to make any disclosures. Many homes have asbestos shingles and it is really not a problem with those either. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Gary Brown" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

1.I think it was banned in the late 70s from vinyl. You cannot know for sure without a test. You could have gotten some old stock. Look in phone book under asbestos. A test is quick and easy, about $40. If it does contain asbestos, it is not the end of the world and can be safely and economically removed. (you could do it yourself) 2.Plywood could be reasonable but you need to consider an aditional height rise, especially under your cabinet toe-kicks. May or may not be an issue. Additionally, there is usually particle board under vinyl. It is NEVER recommended you nail hardwood over particle board. One leak and it turns to mush. Less nail-holding power as well. You are far better off getting rid of it now, and that hardwood will last the life of that house. 3.Don't know, ask a realtor in your area.

tweaked

Asbestos was banned in the late 70's although existing stock was allowed to be used. You're right on the borderline, so you may want to have it tested.

It is not a resale issue if it is in good condition. I have asbestos (5%) tiles in my basement. I could very well have (1%) asbestos in my drywall and joint compound, though I've never tested it. And I have lead solder in my pipes....

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

You are really in a danger zone. Another 50 or 75 years and you may be dead.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Asbestos used to be tastey if cooked with ham.

Reply to
hotmail