Asbestos tiles in closet

I have what I believe is 9x9 asbestos tiles on all my closet floors few broken or cracked. I have some leftover laminate flooring food I just put that over the tiles as to not do more damage to them by taking things in and out of the closet or should it be some how sealed could I use adhesive carpet squares or tiles

Reply to
Nech2

I would put something new and permanent over it, whether that is sheet vinyl, vinyl tiles, composite wood, carpet tiles, etc is up to you. The asbestos is only a problem if it's disturbed and gets into the air.

Reply to
trader_4

  • 1 .. to my knowledge - the old floor tiles were not _ made from _ asbestos - but they had asbestos in the backing material. ie: ripping them up created the hazard .. That said - if you are renting or selling the house - with knowledge of hazardous materials / conditions .. I'd be keeping things on the QT .. John T.
Reply to
hubops

Seal them with paint. Or soak them with water and scrape them out and throw them in the garbage. Wear a mask to be safe, but wet asbestos does notget airborn.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Which could also be asbestos material.

It is not going to

It can if disturbed and it only requires a single particle.

I'd just glue over it or if I wanted to remove it just

Have you had any asbestos removal training? With that advice, I'm guessing no. It's not advisable to use a dust mask with asbestos removal even when wetting. You can do so yourself but to advise another is wrong.

Reply to
Hawk

It only requires a single particle to do what, exactly?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

To inhale and develop mesothelioma.

Reply to
Hawk

If it only requires a single particle of asbestos to make someone sick or kill them, we'd have a far worse epidemic. AFAIK, the actual cases have all been people who had a lot of exposure, eg working in ship yards, brakes, etc, where it was flying all over the place.

Which is why I recommended just leaving it and covering it with another flooring material.

Reply to
trader_4

Technically, that might be true. However what is the PROBABILITY of that happening? So small, it's negligible. If it was any reasonable probability we'd have an epidemic of people sick, with no history of exposure. Like how many particles do you think people breathed in from brake dust released by the car ahead of you, floating in the air in cities, etc? Yet the actual cases are people who had some history of working with it or near it.

Reply to
trader_4

I'm pretty sure I've inhaled more than one particle of asbestos in my life.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

  I worked as a flooring installer when asbestos was a common component in vinyl sheet goods . I'm certain that I have inhaled it while tearing out existing flooring for replacement . Apparently no lung damage though , from the x-rays and CT scans that were done a couple of years ago by the VA .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

If that were true, we all would be dead or be living with mesothelioma.

The problem with asbestos is that particles lodge in the lungs and are not expelled plus it is inert and does not disintegrate. Irritation of the lungs is worse for smokers and causes mesothelioma.

I am not a toxicologist but have plenty of experience in the area. One of my assignments was as department coordinator with the company's toxicology laboratory which was quite large.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

After my parents has asbestos siding put over the clapboards on the house, there were quite a few tiles left over that I used for random projects. The asbestos cement tiles were brittle, so that would include drilling and sawing. Face mask? Yeah, right. In the '50s the only person that wore a mask was the Lone Ranger.

Reply to
rbowman

According to the web site,

the average latency period between asbestos exposure and the development of mesthelioma is 40 years. It can be as little as 10-15 years after heavy exposure.

In the military, you would be categorized as occupationally exposed and monitored indefinitely. Best of luck and hope you remain healthy.

Reply to
Peter

Right. Sounds like the ambulance chaser lawyers. As long as cars have been using brakes and factories and homes using asbestos everyone in this country should be dead. Especially if you add up all the other bad chemicals. Dead from Roundup, dead from sacrian. Dead from talcum powder.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

At work I had a plumber come in for a problem my guys could not easily handle. He was standing on a ladder, cigarette hanging out of his mouth, while removing asbestos pipe insulation.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As in cigarette smoking, some can smoke til they reach 100 and never develop cancer but that's not for all. Genetics play a key role but unless one has genetic testing, they are unsure of what can develop or not. Asbestos is a cancer causing substance. Will it effect everyone exposed to it? Probably not but why risk it, and to advise someone, when you know noting of their genetic history, to just wear a mask, is still wrong.

Reply to
Hawk

Read my reply to Frank. Genetics play a role.

Reply to
Hawk

Chances are many of us have. I'm sure I have also but read Peter's reply about latency period. The worse case is of course cancer. In many, it can cause minor irritation and often leads to inflammation, scarring and damage to body cells along with shortness of breath.

For the sake of your loved ones, I hope nothing develops in you as I hope nothing in me from past exposures. Bottom line, to shrug it off as no big deal is simply risky. If one wants to push that risk upon themself, go for it but I would never advise a person to do so nor tell them it's acceptable to do something without them knowing the risk.

Reply to
Hawk

Good to see we agree on something. :)

Reply to