Repair Cracks in Asphalt Driveway

I need info on a good way to repair cracks on an asphalt driveway. There are numerous 1/4" cracks and hairline cracks on the asphalt driveway in the area where the driveway meets the street. I have tried driveway patching material (comes in a bucket) and sealant (comes in a bottle or in a tube), and I have also put driveway sealing paint over the driveway. And I have done this twice during the past 5 years. Noon work. The cracks will come right back after a cold winter (I live in northern New Jersey). I need to find a good way to repair cracks that the cracked can stay fixed for at least two years or more. What's that wonder product?

If there is no DIY solution available, please tell me whether I should hire a contractor to do this, and what type of contractor I should hire. What kind of method or product should I expect him to use to have a good result?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

Reply to
jaykchan

Well for really small cracks, I've used acrylic based asphalt crack filler with decent results. The Latex based stuff always used to come apart after a thaw cycle. The latex stuff, becomes really hard and then cracks with any shifting. the Acrylic stuff usually maintains some flexibility, so the small movements don't always cause it to crack. For larger cracks, I've used the trowel grade asphalt repair stuff, which is similar to a cement consistency when wet, but dries quite hard after 2 or 3 days if not laid tooo thick. I usually fill in the cracks mid summer, and then in late summer, I will give it 2 coats of a decent top coating.. No, not a $10 bucket of coaltar, something decent. Costs anywhere from $20 to $30 a bucket. I can then usually go 2 or 3 years before needing to do any repairs, but those will be minor anyhow.

I'm in Montreal, Canada, and with the amount of salt I use, I'm surprised I don't need to repair my asphalt more often. I wish I could say the same about my Concrete stair case however :( Sometimes, I wonder if I should redo my concrete stairway, and then cover the whole think in a Marine grade Epoxy. How the hell does the concrete in most ports, survive the salt ? :) I am sick of doing Concrete repairs..

-Tony

Reply to
MtlSales

This is what I was told:

For larger cracks, use backer rod (it's like stryofoam rope), and use the crack fill that comes in the bottles.

I was told to get patching compound that remains flexible.

Plus, after you fix all the cracks, then reseal your dryway.

Now I have been blessed with a concret drive way in house, but I do remember hearing the stories about the water cooler after the weekend.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

MtlSales wrote:>

repair your steps just right wait a couple weeks then apply liberal amount of thompsons water seal.

liberal dump on then spread heavily with brush leave dry overnite or a couple days.

it will slightly darken the concrete but seal all the poors so water and salt cant get in/

water beads after thompsons drys.

it doesnt make the concrete slippery or anything.

reapply every 2 or 3 years when you notice water isnt beading anymore...

first application will absorb a LOT after that reapplys will be much less.

me and some friends did this in pittsburgh it ended the repairs forever:)

Reply to
hallerb

Thanks for the suggestion of using acrylic based asphalt crack filler instead of latex based stuff. I may try this in this fall.

Jay Chan

MtlSales wrote:

Reply to
jaykchan

What I need is to find that special patching compound that remains flexible after one cold winter -- and I will be all set.

Jay Chan

Reply to
jaykchan