How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

Page 2 of 6

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:42:16 -0800, Don Schmidt wrote:

The HP SOlution Center would probably work if I could download the Win XP HP Solution Center printer drivers for the Laserjet 3200m but none of the drivers are available on the HP web site.
Can someone just try the HP download to see if it's just me or if nobody can access the printer drivers from the HP ftp site:
Starting at the HP LaserJet 3200m download page: http://tinyurl.com/ye47hqk http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId (035&taskId5&prodTypeId972&prodSeriesId$354&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20%BB
I press on the Windows XP link and then I try to access the firmware, the drivers, anything ... and all time out and deliver nothing.
It's soooo very frustrating just trying to download a software driver.
I even tried CNET and other links (most of which are trying to sell driver-detection software) but they pointed back to the bogus HP web site where the drivers are listed but nobody can get them.
At least I can't. Can you?
On 02/13/2010 11:32 PM, Brent wrote:

Seems to work here. Perhaps you need to try a different browser?
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 07:24:38 -0600, Airman Basic wrote:

What exact link did you try?
This link does not work for me on multiple computers and on two browsers (IE 8 and Firefox 3.6 on Windows XP SP3).
It just times out, time after time. I just did it again (see below).
Here's what happens when I go to the HP download driver process: 1. Start at HP support: http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html 2. Enter: "LaserJet 3200m" 3. That brings me here: http://tinyurl.com/yhn6y3z 4. Press: "Download drivers and software" 5. Press: "HP LaserJet 3200m All-in-One Printer" 6. Which brings me here: http://tinyurl.com/yloqjax 7. Press "Microsoft Windows XP" 8. Opens the LaserJet 3200m driver page: http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c
I'm not sure which driver is the one I need for the scanner but I haven't updated the firmware so I tried that first: a) Click on "Download" for "hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility" b) Waiting for h20000.www2.hp.com... c) Transferring data from h20000.www2.hp.com...
And then it times out.
I think the driver I need for the scanner might be embedded here: a) Click on "hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility" b) Same "waiting for" and "transferring data" c) But nothing gets downloaded
It finally times out.
I don't see how there's anything on my side stopping it (ActiveX is all enabled on the IE browser and popups are enabled on both browsers).
Are you sure you were able to download the driver? What is the file name & file size that you eventually downloaded?
On 02/14/2010 11:38 AM, Brent wrote:

Followed your link and downloaded "lj623en.exe" successfully at 4.8 mbs. Using Chrome but just tried it with FF 3.6 with same result.
Just to be sure, here's the page:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId (035&prodTypeId972&prodSeriesId$354&swLang=8&taskId5&swEnvOID"8
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:38:36 -0600, Airman Basic wrote:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId (035&prodTypeId972&prodSeriesId$354&swLang=8&taskId5&swEnvOID"8 Thanks Airman! The bad news is I can't (yet) get that file but the good news is that, if others can get it, then it must be something in my setup.
I'll keep looking at my setup. I think it's in the router more than the computer if it is, 'cuz I can't get it from multiple computers.
What I will try to do is bring a flash card to the local library, access this thread, and try to download it from there (I doubt they have newsreaders but I think google will show this thread ok).
Thanks for confirming that the problem is on my side and not on the HP side.
On 02/14/2010 11:41 PM, Brent wrote:

"Note: Some download management or acceleration software may cause issues with file downloads. Please disable any download management software if you experience problems downloading a file."
If you're running any of that ilk, could be your problem. Years ago in dial-up days, I remember GetRight giving me fits, 'til I disabled it for the particular download.
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 06:55:13 -0600, Airman Basic wrote:

Hi Airman, I'm sure I have something on my setup now that I know others can get the HP software from http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200
The good news is that my lack of ability to download from that HP driver site won't matter because the TWAIN drivers I need aren't there. :(
The good news is I did find the TWAIN drivers based on the information from
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit 9447627+1266179829676+28353475&threadId0340
It took 3 tries but I've now downloaded the HP software for the TWAIN drivers (271 MB zip file) from someone who posted it on the Internet and installed it. It was dated in the year 2000 so it's old (even older than my 2001 HP LaserJet 3200 printer) but it seems to now allow the scanner to be recognized.
It's still not scanning to PDF but I'm working on that problem now (which is a totally different issue now than not having the TWAIN
:)
On 2/14/2010 9:41 PM, Brent wrote:

A later poster mentioned potential problems with download managers. In FF 3.6, have you tried right-clicking on the link to do a "Save link as..." I've gotten things onto the desktop the way I used to with FF.
hth
Ron Moore
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:37:27 -0800, Ron wrote:

Hi Ron,
My download problem on the HP driver site http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200 seems to only be on my side so I agree, my many download managers may be getting in the way (mostly for downloading Utube and Flash FLV videos and then stripping out the audio into MP3 files).
But it turns out to be a red herring because Warren Block's URL shows me that NOBODY can get the TWAIN drivers for their HP scanner/printer from the HP support site! http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit 9447627+1266179829676+28353475&threadId0340
Trying every single torrent and rapidshare in that thread, this one finally worked on the 3rd try to download the original HP TWAIN drivers in a 271 Mbyte zip file. http://s197185871.onlinehome.us/hpdownloads /
One problem is these TWAIN drivers are from 2000 and my printer was bought new in 2001 for $650 (which was a lot of money for a B&W printer in those days) but at least the scan2pdf freeware now recognizes the scanner!
I don't yet have the scanning to PDF working but I'm hoping I can report it working soon.
In hind sight, if I had known how impossible it is to obtain HP drivers, I would have put the original HP CDROM in a safety deposit box so that it could be used after multiple PCs and moves occurred since 2001.
Lesson learned!
| On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:37:27 -0800, Ron wrote:

| Hi Ron,
| My download problem on the HP driver site http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200 | seems to only be on my side so I agree, my many download managers may be | getting in the way (mostly for downloading Utube and Flash FLV videos and | then stripping out the audio into MP3 files).
| But it turns out to be a red herring because Warren Block's URL shows me | that NOBODY can get the TWAIN drivers for their HP scanner/printer from the | HP support site! | http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit 9447627+ | 1266179829676+28353475&threadId0340
| Trying every single torrent and rapidshare in that thread, this one finally | worked on the 3rd try to download the original HP TWAIN drivers in a 271 | Mbyte zip file. | http://s197185871.onlinehome.us/hpdownloads /
| One problem is these TWAIN drivers are from 2000 and my printer was bought | new in 2001 for $650 (which was a lot of money for a B&W printer in those | days) but at least the scan2pdf freeware now recognizes the scanner!
| I don't yet have the scanning to PDF working but I'm hoping I can report it | working soon.
| In hind sight, if I had known how impossible it is to obtain HP drivers, I | would have put the original HP CDROM in a safety deposit box so that it | could be used after multiple PCs and moves occurred since 2001.
| Lesson learned!
There 'ya go.
That 270MB installer is the complete package to allow the OS to scan and print. There is NO reason to go into the BIOS, you problem is purely a software problem realted to your HP hardware.
--
Dave
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:30:04 -0500, David H. Lipman

Of course 250MB of that is for dancing bunny animated graphics. Even 20MB is overkill for the functionality provided.
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:30:04 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

Yes. Lesson(s) learned.
The only reason the complete HP package didn't work at first to create a PDF from scan2PDF freeware was that I needed to reboot the PC (I'm always reluctant to reboot as I wonder what the PC does during the reboot that it can't do w/o a reboot.)
Anyway, after the PC reboot I did the following and it worked just fine:
1. I put the piece of paper to be scanned to PDF into the printer 2. I started scan2PDF freeware 3. I checked that the HP printer was a scan2PDF source (it was) 4. I pressed the scan2PDF scan button which initiated a scan on the printer 5. The result was a PDF in scan2PDF that I simply saved to my hard disk.
Wow. How simple it all is once the TWAIN drivers were installed! (OCR will be a whole 'nother ball game ... I'll look for freeware OCR software separately.)
Lesson(s) learned: - While HP printer drivers are easy to find, HP TWAIN drivers are not! - Without the HP TWAIN driver, the scanner just won't work - With an HP TWAIN driver, scanning to PDF is as simple as Scan2PDF
Scan2PDF version 1.7 Windows/Vista freeware: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/scan2pdf.html http://www.brothersoft.com/scan2pdf-download-37141.html http://download.cnet.com/Scan2PDF/3000-13455_4-75851.html http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/PDF/Scan2PDF.shtml
Note Scan2PDF freeware also combines PDF files into a single multi-page PDF.

Really! I'm reading on alt.home.repair [and wondering how the OP thought it was on topic] and almost replied that I've had better luck with freeware than a whole bunch of paid programs over the years.
When I saw that it was crossposted I killed my reply without looking to see where it was cross-posted to.

Add 'open source' to the software & I challenge anyone to come up with a scenario where there is a better commercial option.
Jim
| wrote:

| Really! I'm reading on alt.home.repair [and wondering how the OP | thought it was on topic] and almost replied that I've had better luck | with freeware than a whole bunch of paid programs over the years.
| When I saw that it was crossposted I killed my reply without looking | to see where it was cross-posted to.

| Add 'open source' to the software & I challenge anyone to come up with | a scenario where there is a better commercial option.
| Jim
Adobe Acrobat Professional. There.... A "better commercial option." :-)
For this scenario a TWAIN capable program that will scan and create a PDF.
--
Dave
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 07:59:11 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

David, I don't understand the TWAIN part. I tried all the suggested programs but none could find the printer.
Which side do I need the TWAIN software?
On the PC side where I run the application to talk to the printer?
Brent wrote:

You need to install the HP drivers.
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 09:29:26 -0800, Bob F wrote:

duh,
Now fuck off.
| On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 07:59:11 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

| David, | I don't understand the TWAIN part. I tried all the suggested programs but | none could find the printer.
| Which side do I need the TWAIN software?
| On the PC side where I run the application to talk to the printer?
Brent:
All scanners have two seperate but merging softwares that allow them to be used by a computer.
1. Hardware drivers.
2. TWAIN GUI middleware.
Once a given scanner has its hardware drivers installed, the Operating System knows how to communucate with the hardware.
Once the TWAIN GUI middleware is installed any program that is TWAIN complaint will be able to use the scanner.
For example I have a Canon colour flatbed and a HP 100 laser scanner attachment.
Now the Cannon has both #1 and #2 in two separate installers and connects via USB v2.0. It shows up in Device Manager under "Imaging Devices" (WinXP).
The HP Lasetjet 1100 has an attachment that plugs in the front of the laser printer. The Laserprinter connects to PC via parallel port. However in my case, it is connected to an external HP JetDirect print server. Here #1 and #2 is included into one installer for its own application, "Laserjet Document Assiastant" and it runs in the background and you tell it if the Printer+Scanner is connected via parallel port or over then LAN.
Take a program like XnView. It is a TWAIN compliant graphics application. Thus *any* TWAIN complaint scanner who had their software installed correctly (Part #1 and #2) then one can choose which is the default scanner. (Note the OS can only define one device as "default scanner" at a time and thus once set, that chosen scann will the dafault for ALL TWAIN compliant software under that OS).
One the default scanner is chosen you can actually initiate a scan and hold the object in memory. Now its dependent upon what TWAIN compliant application does as its objective. If it is XnView its is considered a graphic and thus you can now save it in any of the standard formats like; .JPG, .PNG, .TIFF, .DCX., .PVX, etc.... Add PDFCreator from SourceForge into the picture and you can now create a PDF from the scanned object.
Lets use another scnerio: Lets us say you have Open Office (OO). OO is TWAIN comliant and can natively create PDFs. Thus many of the modules will be able to scan into its respective Office application such as its Word Processor and from there perform the scan and subsequently create a PDF.
No matter what application that one uses when you have chosen the deafult scanner, you will use that particular scanner's TWAIN GUI interface. It will allow you resize, scan portion, allow colour/B&W/Grey Scale and indicate at what Dot Per Inch (DPI) level.
So to sum it all up, the TWAIN is a standard for any TWAIN compliant application to use and TWAIN compliant scanner. The TWAIN GUI is the middlware provided by the scanner manufacturer and provides an interface to the device. With it you tell the scanner what to sca, how to scan and in what format. Once scanned it is delivered to the requesting application. That requesting application (through its TWAIN compliance) then can use the scanned image for whatever pupose it needs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWAIN
--
Dave
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 22:22:02 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

Hi Dave, Thanks for the update. I read it with interest. I see I need to locate the HP printer drivers for a Win XP version of the laserjet 3200m.
Unfortunately for two days the HP ftp web site has been unable to process the driver request. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId (035&taskId5&prodTypeId972&prodSeriesId$354&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20%BB
Maybe it's just me, but this URL times out EVERY time when I try to access ANY HP driver on that web page! :( http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId (035&prodTypeId972&prodSeriesId$354&swLang=8&taskId5&swEnvOID"8
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 05:30:38 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:
<slime binned unread>
BlunderBird forgery
Filter on
$$gwx18quhxz9-wu_g$qv3bkmank