How did the burglars enter?

Rebel1 wrote in news:4f8190db$0$27197$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

Note;you cannot go to another state and legally buy a firearm from a gun store or legitimate dealer(FFL). 1968 Gun Control Act. in every state,you have to show ID proving you are a resident of that state to buy a firearm. you also have to pass a NICS backgrgound check,and there may be a waiting period before you can take the gun home.

UNLESS you buy from a private seller. but then IIRC,you've broken the law against interstate transport of a firearm. but IANAL. in most states,people are still free to sell their own firearms without going through a FFL ---AS LONG as it's not across state lines.

You also have no idea if the firearm you bought had been used in the commission of a crime.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

As has been noted here several times, the NICS check is not required for licence holders in some states. The license itself is the check.

No laws against interstate transport. How else would one move guns from one place to another? Some states may have laws against possession within the state but there are no interstate laws against it. Most states even have reciprocity with other states, which would be senseless if there were in interstate ban on transportation.

The seller is not required to ID the buyer. Perhaps if they're both standing on their respective sides of the border?

Point?

Reply to
krw

Clare really should do some internet research. The "wasp spray for self defense" has been debunked, many years ago.

Hey, lets lock Clare in a cage with a can of wasp spray and a hungry bear, and that will help take care of the problem.

.

Excellent tip. I hope the NJ politicians don't read it; otherwise, they'll ban it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Better yet, Stormy can come and make a nuisance of himself and I'll try it out on him. Friends in AlBEARta carry it with them all the time when they are in "back country".. The non foaming stuff is pretty useless apparently, but the foaming stuff is supposed to burn the eyes and snout, and it sticks around, and you can see where it hits. Also less likely to "backfire" on you if you have a headwind. Pepper spray into the wind will dissable you AND the bear.

And nowhere in almost an hour of googling did I find it categorically "debunked". NOWHERE was there ANY indication of it having been tried and failed. Only one case of some guy saying he got it in his eyes and it didn't hurt - after being stung 20 or more times by wasps he had sprayed with the stuff. Must have been different stuff than what I use on wasps, because once they've been hit, they drop like a rock.

The neurotoxins used in most good wasp sprays can cause serious damage so you do not want to be casual about it's use.

As a side note - apparently spray Ben Gay is used by bouncers in some areas where pepper spray is illegal to carry and is also QUITE effective.

Reply to
clare

---------- Did you happen to notice the dryer vent pipe is broken off behind your clothes dryer? Well, I bet it is. Go check. They crawled in your dryer vent. I'm getting vibrations and I am seeing them crawling in the vent and ripping off the pipe (from the inside of the pipe), where it enters the rear of the dryer. There were two guys, one named Rob, the other Bert. Together they form the Robbert team. Both are unemployed Maytag dryer repairmen, living on unemployment compensation.

----------

Reply to
tangerine3

Every "right" a person possesses imposes a "duty" of some kind on someone else. If this subsequent "duty" impinges on that person's "right," you get the classic "conflict of laws."

Further, every "right" has its limitation. Your "right" to swing your fist ends at my chin, and so forth. For instance, does the "right to keep and bear arms" include felons? The mentally unstable? Juveniles?

This juggling test is not easy and often has to be worked out on a case-by-case basis. In addition, when a solution to a particular case is proposed, legal scholars try hard to compute how their solution might affect future situations.

It ain't easy and it's certainly not always black-and-white.

Reply to
HeyBub

No they don't. Not for positive sure.

There are several situations where one might have a CHL and no firearm:

  • He hasn't gotten around to buying one.
  • He sold it (them),
  • He got the CHL to: a) Prove to traffic-stop cops he's a righteous dude, or b) Impress various factotums in a foreign land (Chicago, NY City, etc.), that he's politically well-connected.
  • Because it's there.
Reply to
HeyBub

It's against federal law. A handgun can only be obtained through a dealer with a Federal Firearm License in your state of residence.

There is at least one exception I know about: For thirty-bucks you can get a "Curio & Relic" firearms license from the feds. This enables you to take direct delivery of C&R firearms from a dealer in another state.

Here's the straight skinney:

There are an amazing number of modern guns on the list - all it takes is for a museum to write a letter to the BATF stating that a particular weapon has "historical" significance.

Reply to
HeyBub

Not only is that true, 18 USC 926A specifically permits interstate transportation of a firearm (conditions apply).

You can still get screwed, however. A recent case involved a traveller from Boston to Florida with a change of planes at Newark. The second leg of his flight - Newark to Orlando - was cancelled. That left him with a pistol in his luggage and a subsequent trip to jail when he tried to check his bag the next day.

Reply to
HeyBub

I like it that you can think.

Reply to
HeyBub

UPS.

Reply to
krw

UPS (and FedEx) accept firearm shipments ONLY where at least one of the parties has a Federal Firearm License, importers, law enforcement agencies, etc. Not individuals.

Further, the package has to go Next Day Air which, for a pistol, starts at about $50.

I have a Glock that suffered a malfunction (look up "Glock Kaboom"). It will cost me $55 to send it to Glock for replacement.

I check the couch cushions daily for spare change. It's slow-going.

Reply to
HeyBub

Acccept? I've never had them open a package.

...and the cost for his arrest?

Don't buy plastic guns. ;-)

Reply to
krw

(-;

I like it that you can debate like a grown up. So many here will likely always be consigned to the kiddie table, never to eat with the adults. Yes, every once in a while, like the Roman Seneca said, "Mad dogs we knock on the head." But by and large, most people here can keep their cool. FWIW, you arguing with SM is like Michael Corleone whippin' on Fredo. It's not a fair fight. (-:

The pendulum theory is why I don't get as worked up about things as some. I know we're never going to have a blue total welfare state or a total red free-market state. We'll just swing slowly back and forth mostly keeping to the middle of the channel. Societal inertia is a remarkable thing. I even view the CHL/SYG thing as a swing away from the liberal "ban all guns and all crime will end." I've seen that myth in action. Lots of dead people in DC shot with guns no one was supposed to have.

I'll have to buy a new gun soon. Retrofitting the Browning HP with laser sights will cost $300. My other guns have nowhere at all to mount one. The HP kit comes with substitute grips with a laser attached. I'd rather have the laser right under the barrel. But for $300 I can get a nice, used pistol with a laser sight built in. I just saw one on line from the store I got my Zap Canes from - the perfect solution to stray dogs coming up to you. One pop on the nose and off they go. I guess with all the nerves in their snouts, a 300kV shock really, REALLY stings. You can never have too many guns in too many calibers or too many stun guns or tasers. I'll bet GZ would have been just as happy to shock the crap out of TM. I watch "Cops" primarily to watch them tase miscreants. Especially the big ones.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

My motivation in posting is, mainly, to educate. For example, one poster on another group asked what he thought to be a rhetorical question: "Why are hundreds of black youths gunned down by police every year and nobody goes to jail?"

I replied: "Duh! Because you don't put dead people in prison."

It was a teaching moment.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yeah, I thought about that. It's conceivable that the delivery man will note that the destination is somewhat related to firearms and take company policy steps. If, as a result of a subsequent inspection, the sender has been found to have violated the shipper's policies, the sender exposes himself to being taunted a second time.

Yep. My carry piece, now, is a CZ82. Plus a fold-up .22 as my BUG (back-up gun).

Interestingly, a CZ82 is a "Curio & Relic" firearm which means it can be shipped to and fro based on a C&R license ($30) from the BATF. An amazing number of weapons are on the C&R list and, if you have a C&R license, can be shipped directly to your door without the noxious NICS business. And, some say, you can use the post office to do the shipping.

Reply to
HeyBub

And that's a bad thing because...?

Reply to
HeyBub

I don't regularly carry but I do have a 92FS in my computer case when I travel home on weekends. I don't have a CCW, right now, though (~two weeks).

Got a list of C&Rs?

Reply to
krw

Bet yours is a late post (April), months after the event -- could it have happened in late December, 24th or so?

David

Reply to
David Combs