How did the burglars enter?

Interesting question. If the window was fully opened, then pushing it closed could force the bar to bend up, as that is what keeps the window in place. Again, why bother? The window was opened when I arrived home.

Reply to
Rebel1

The bottom of the bay window is 39 inches above the soil.

That's the consensus among my friends. Odd thing was that I was away for almost three weeks, returned on a Thursday, and everything okay. Three days later, a Sunday night/Monday morning, I was away overnight for 14 hours when it happened.

Reply to
Rebel1

No.

Reply to
Rebel1

It's a possibility. I'll probably never know for sure, as I doubt the cops will catch anyone. As G. Morgan says, the damage to the casement operator suggests they tried closing the window from outside, but again, why bother?

Regarding the casement window, the operator is normally attached to the window by a rivet. That connection was broken, so the window could be freely positioned simply by hand without using the crank operator.

Reply to
Rebel1

I have a cheap X10 with window and door sensors along with motion detectors on battery backup. I would have no idea how to get around it. I guess I need a job in the alarm business.

Reply to
Thomas

Only one coin was encapsulated with a grade and serial number. The rest were generic, bullion coins with no special rarity or outstanding condition that would bring a premium above the spot value of gold. The police do have a detailed list.

I'm certain the casement window was locked, as it was too cool at night to leave it open or unlocked but closed. I used the slider door an hour or so before leaving; I'm 99% certain it was locked, but maybe I had a senior moment.

Reply to
Rebel1

Rebel1 wrote in news:4f7ee764$0$25156$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

Alarms have a high false rate,that aggravates police,and if noisy,aggravates your neighbors. I have also heard bad stuff about ADT,that their sign is like an invitation to burglars.

Noisy alarm infers that your neighbors would actually do something. NOT always true.

Why are the only possible entrances the kitchen "door"(sliding patio door?) or the window? Why couldn't they use a bump key on another door? it only takes a second to unlock a door with one,and it leaves no evidence. they can even lock the door behind them.

also,I've heard that prying up on a patio door can unlatch it and then it can be slid open normally. those locks are not that secure. you need to pin or burglar-bar it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

They couldn't have entered from another door and locked it behind them?

I would guess that common crooks don't use bump keys but I don't know.

Reply to
bud--

Thanks for the tips. So many things to consider.

R1

Reply to
Rebel1

Try for the pro, and go as far as your budget allows. Don't use ADT or the big nationals, find a local family-owned business where you'll be dealing with someone who can get things done, without a voice-mail-jail. Ask for references from your friends and neighbors. You can spot the guy who wants to sell you 'security' vs. 'paper'. The ADT's of the country are looking to sell a contract, period.

Geeze, the peephole shooter is nasty.

A lot of people that have alarm systems don't even know that alarm screens are available. They are perfect perimeter protection on windows, if one is removed the alarm trips, if you cut through them the alarm trips.

For examples:

Agreed, from a set of 'fresh' eyes.

Reply to
G. Morgan

No need, it's a no-brainier. In a residential situation where people are sleeping always go with a siren. Tell the kids ahead of time what to do if the siren sounds in the middle of the night, have a plan. If you have your motion detectors off at night, and you don't know what caused the alarm DO NOT TELL THE OPERATOR YOUR CODE WORD AND SAY EVERYTHING IS FINE. You do not --know-- everything is fine until the reason for the alarm trip is found, and the house is swept for intruders. If you say the code word out of habit, don't forget to tell them to send help! Secure the family, then either wait for police in a locked room or get out if you can without being seen (MBR exterior door perhaps). If you have a gun, now would be a great time to de-holster and take it off 'safety'. Have pre-determined hand-signals for family members. The siren is supposed to be loud, so you can't hear each other without yelling and giving your location away to the bad-guys.

If you have monitored smoke/heat detectors, you have no option per code, plus that is your wake-up call to get OUT. A similar wake-up noise will scare a burglar and hopefully make them leave! This is the safest option, you don't need to play superhero. You want them OUT, a properly designed system will alert the system

*before* he gains entry to begin with. The siren sounds differently on fire vs. burglar alarms so you can discern what part of the system is in 'alarm' without having to look at the closest keypad.

Don't worry about 'catching' the prick in the act, response times are not guaranteed and alarms get a low priority unless you have verification a burglary is in progress. If you have voice/video/witness verification the cops will *haul-ass* to your house in hopes to catch a "live one".

Reply to
G. Morgan

Well over 90% of "false alarms" are user error. So it's people that have a high rate of failure, not equipment. Some jurisdictions will not respond to alarms unless there is alarm verification by means of 2-way audio or video and the central station operator can see/hear something is definitely going on.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Three months to transfer a firearm into your possession? Are you buying a class 3 weapon or something?

If not, where in the US does it take 3 months to get a 'permit'? (in quotes because the 2nd gives you the right without permission).

Seriously, are you not allowed to purchase a gun and bring it home the same day?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Best way around that in homes with children is to get a small safe that is opened by biometrics, or a code you can easily peck-out in complete darkness.

Keypad version ~ $80

\&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=699&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=18267193382706115429&sa=X&ei=bFB_T-jrIIiG8QTsr4nPBw&ved=0CJIBEPMCMAA or:
Fingerprint reader version, about $200

G. Morgan

NYS can take up to six months, or more for a handgun permit.

Technical note. The 2nd ammendment DOES NOT give individuals a right to keep and bear arms. That right was endowed by our Creator. The 2nd prohibits government from infringing a Creator given right. It's a VERY important distinction. If the 2nd gives a right, a later ammendment can take it away.

.

If not, where in the US does it take 3 months to get a 'permit'? (in quotes because the 2nd gives you the right without permission).

Seriously, are you not allowed to purchase a gun and bring it home the same day?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He's in Spring Valley, New York.

First, in New York, you've got to have a pistol license (issued by the county and some cities). THEN you can register your handgun. The dealer from whom you purchased it must submit a fired cartridge to the state. However, there is good news. By statute, the permit and/or registration of the weapon MUST be acted upon by the applicable agency within six months (the deadline can be extended for good cause). If the permitting agency does not act within that time frame, they leave themselves open to being taunted a second time.

In my state, and others, we don't register any kind of gun nor the people who own them. To purchase a gun in my state, you put your money on the counter, fill out one form that the dealer keeps, wait a few minutes for him to call NICS, and take your gun home (or to the confrontation).

If you have a concealed handgun license, the dealer skips the 'phone call to the FBI.

Reply to
HeyBub

Got a PalmPad or other X-10 RF transmitter. Holding down the transmit key can overwhelm the RF signal coming from the sensors. Try it as you walk through a protected doorway. X-10 has some good uses but as a primary line of defense all I can say it that it's probably better than nothing. (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

But it requires the burglar to wonder if they will or they won't respond. Many burglars have rap sheets and tend to want to avoid re-arrest. A really loud siren INSIDE the house won't irk your neighbors too much but it will make it really hard for the burglar to think straight. Even worse, he becomes afraid he won't hear anyone sneaking up on him with a gun. That's what makes them run.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Agreed. While catching them might seem a nice idea, the primary goal is to prevent loss. A confrontation with a panicked burglar could end up very messy - for both home owner and burglar. People have had to move after shooting someone in their house because the smell of blood lingers like nobody's business. It's a little like cat urine in that it's a disturbing smell that never quite goes away, especially when it's humid.

Yet to claim self-defense, it used to be they had to be inside the house. (-: That's why I bought a Taser.

Lots of people don't feel comfortable with alarms that have interior video or audio. Do you know what jurisdictions require voice/video verification. I know that when I called and said "I've got a suspicious character in front of my house that came from the backyard" I had the cops there in less than a minute. A lot of their response time is dependent on whatever else is going on, police-wise, but you're right. Automatic calls get low priority. "I see him!" calls get a much higher one.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

It could likely be that after 3 weeks the spineless creep that robbed you had finally worked up enough courage to break in. Check with your local police about burglary reports in your area. They often have lots of useful information.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green