Honda Mower Pull Cord

My Honda mower is an HRX217, I believe. The pull cord to start the machine will not retract. Any suggestions on how to repair this? Is it straightforward, or does it require major repairs?

Reply to
Chuckles

Plan A: Most are pretty straight forward. I'd have to see it to be sure. Take it off and figure out what the problem is (broken spring, spring came loose, ect.). Fix the problem, rewind the spring and hold the pulley in place as you thread the cord back into the pulley and tie a knot. Since it is already broken, how are you gone to break it more? Go for it!

Plan B: Or, take to someone who repairs them.

Plan C: Sell it.

Plan D: Trade it in.

Plan E: Send it to me.

Plan F: Have your wife fix it. :-)

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

The two problems that come to mind, are broken return spring, or rusty return spring. Typically on the easy end of the repair scale.

Much easier, for example, than replacing an ofset wobbler on the shimmy shaft.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A third, common, fault is dirt caking the three little balls, or their raceway, that acts as a locking mechanism. If the spring is good, clean the locking mechanism and all should be well.

Caution: When you disassemble the sucker, the coil spring will want to jump out and kiss you on the lips.

Reply to
HeyBub