Hi everyone, it's that time of year again, finally!!...
I got out my old, not-so-trusty Craftsman mower and tried to start it. The
pull-rope came all the way out and stayed that way. :(
I know this isn't good, but wondered exactly how bad this is. Is this a
simple fix, or should I just junk this thing? Below is the description of
Eager:1 6.75 Self-Propelled Craftsman mower
It's been a piece of junk since almost day 1, but I keep it around because
it's nice to have a mower to get in places that I can't easily get to with
my riding mower.
Any advice on how to fix this pull-rope issue would be greatly appreciated,
since I'll trash it before I send it to the shop again.
Fairly easy fix. Go to the library and find a Reader's Digest or
Better Home and Gardens Home (or one of the dozen other such titles)
Home repair manual and look in the "lawn mower" or "small engine"
In both my RD and BHG books the repair is spelled out in detail with
pictures and all.
Sounds like the "recoil spring" may have broken. If you're lucky, the
break will be very close to one end of the spring and with a little
heating to remove its hardness, plus bending, filing or drilling you may
be able to form a "new end" and reuse the old spring.
As stated above, it's not rocket science, just make sure you don't lose
control of the spring, it could fly loose and try and whack you in the
face. Wearing eye protection while working on those recoil starters is a
damn good idea.
Other posters have good advice (Book, eye protection, spring repair)
It may not actually be a broken spring. It could be just a spring that came
un-sprung. it could also just be jamed up with a twig or dirt. Explore a
little. Can you see the thing that turns when you pull the cord? Can you use
a screw driver to manually turn it? Try to wind it back manually. If it
turns freely then the spring is unhooked or broken. if there is resistance
it may just be caught on something. You may have to disassemble a bit to see
if its just stuck or sprung. Either way its a not too expensive fix.
If something is broke just start taking things apart until you find the
broken thingamabob and take it to a mower repair shop to get a new part then
put it back together. Or, just take it in again.
I hate Crapsman/craftsman junk.
BTW, on a Briggs and STratton engine iirc there are three tabs that
are bent over and hold the spring area in place. I straighten the tab
the minimum amount needed to remove the plate on which the spring and
rope are mounted. But even then, the tab might break off some day,
from being bent and straightened again and again. Voila, I noticed
that an inch away from each tab was another tab that had not ever been
Maybe you guys can help me on this one. Although I know this is a
simple repair and works well almost all the time, my first mower had a
broken spring (not at the hook but at the waist like area where it
uses a narrow spot to attach to the hub iirc.
I replaced it and the new one broke the first day, in the same way.
It's not hard to turn the shaft with the rope before it breaks. The
engine is not frozen. IIRC, the rope only got sucked back part way
and I eventually tried oiling the spring, even though I think they
never are. Are they?
Regardless, it didn't help.
I went through the same repair and break cycle with two more springs
iirc. 3 plust the origina.
It's been years and the mower is rusting in a corner, but I like it,
like the original poster, because it is narrow and can get into an
area where the tree has grown and nothing bigger will get in there.
And I'd like to know where I've gone wrong.
On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 23:39:02 -0400, "digitalmaster"
I'll try that, or at least check it, but I'm 95 percent sure I was
using the same rope that it came with, and that it worked with for at
least a year or two. Won't be able to try this until later in the
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.