Honda mower

How tough is it to replace the drive belt on a Honda selfpropeled lawn mower? Belt did not break, it just fell off.

Reply to
p4o2

Is that an old one? I bought an early model when they first came out. I was really ticked off when I discovered year 2 of use on a small lawn that it had a broken belt for the self propelled wheels which cost $90 to replace back in the late 80's. I dumped that thing after the repair.

Reply to
Art

It is not difficult. There is a plate under the housing that will need to be removed. The belt should not fall off, so look for damage somewhere.

Reply to
Phisherman

The mower is 4 or 5 years old. The belt is not broken but just slipped off. The pully for the drive wheel on the rear wheels is accessable but the pulley on the motor end is not.

Reply to
p4o2

IMO dumping it was a mistake. I bought one long before yours apparently (early 80s). Have replaced 1 fuel filter, 1 plug, 1 clutch cable and the rubbers on the rear tires twice. Front wheels now need replaceing as they are so loose they wobble. Mowing 1/2 acre regulary plus another 1/2 acre every so often over rough ground. Still starts first pull every time. Yes, parts for Honda are spendy. Not nearly as costly as annual fix-up costs on other mowers I had in the past. I now have 2 self prop Honda and 1 rototiller. None have given me any trouble except as mentioned above.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I had another couple irritations with the Honda. The system they used to install and remove the grass catcher was like a mouse trap. Incredibly strong spring. Could barely get the darn bag on or off. Plus the self propelled was way too slow. Worse mower I ever owned. Fortunately it had good resale value.

Reply to
Art

Compared to new ones, the bag system on mine is probably old hat. At the time I bought the first one it was a quantum advance in design, the only one on the market that could be removed one handed. I never had a problem with lifing the cover nor did my 70 year old mother. As for the speed, yep, there you are right. I have one 2-speed, one 3 speed. 1st is too slow, 2nd in both is too fast and 3rd in the one would only be useable in mower races. I wish I had bought the hydro drive vs the gear at that time.

You are the only person I have ever heard bad-mouth a Honda self propel.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I think yours was at least a year newer than mine. I saw on the following year model that they got rid of the mouse trap design for the bagger. Believe me you would have hated it. Your 70 year old mother could not have worked it. At the time I jogged at least 3 miles a day.... was probably about 33 years old and in good shape and the bag was constant aggravation. It was designed to be a no tools/no parts conversion to mulcher. If you removed the bag the spring had sufficient pressure to keep the back closed and made the thing into a mulcher. Unfortunately, it also had sufficient pressure to prevent the installation of the bag unless you were a professional wrestler.

Reply to
Art

Nope, It had (and has) the "mousetrap" door. After 20 plus years it is still strong enough to hold the door closed. It doesn't take that much to do it. It will also keep in place the clippings spreader that clips into the same mount as the bag. I bought the 2nd one in about

1999/2000 range and it is the same design. You took a dislike to the mower which is fine with me, but you're trying to justify it with bs reasons is not.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Here's another. My Honda self-propel has had a repair every year after its 2 year birthday, and now the plastic Xenoy deck is cracking all over in its 5th year. I kept good care of this mower. Now I own a Toro--much more power and half the price of a Honda. I can't see spending over $500 for any 21" mower.

Reply to
Phisherman

Not up on the current models but I was never aware of any Honda built mower with a plastic deck. Aluminum and steel were all that I saw available in 99 (may have been earlier than that when I bought the last one). They may be making them now tho. There are a lot of mowers that have Honda motors but other decks.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K