Homelite trimmer question

I have a Homelite trimmer. The little bulb is shot from age. I pulled the carb, and cleaned, and replaced, and it runs fine if you keep pumping the bulb. It has a small hole in it. Does one have to go buy the whole kit to get the bulb?
Steve
SteveB wrote:

no they are available separately. But they are not all the same size. Take yours along with you.

Would Ace or HD have those, or go to a mower shop?
Steve
SteveB wrote:

You might accidentally find one at a HW store, but i'd head to any shop that sells chain saws or stringtrimmers.

Headed that way as we speak. I was amazed at how easy it was to disassemble, and reassemble. Just washed stuff in gas. Fired right up, but wouldn't run without pumping, and upon pumping, pumped gas out. It's a cheap Homelite, but I think if you just run the right mix of gas, they will work a long time. Then, if you can fix things, that helps, too.
Steve
Here's another hint, in the form of a question: What do you think the little primer button does? If you push it, and the engine floods and gas comes out, do you think the primer is part of the problem?
If the engine runs "as long as you keep pushing the primer button" do you think that maybe something else is wrong?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

A tiny crack or pinhole in the primer bulb will allow air to enter instead of sucking fuel from the fuel tank.
New one to me. Wouldn't repeated pushing keep opening the air hole?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Maybe he put his finger over the hole? Seriously I have a trimmer and a lawn mower I picked up as trash and both had the same problem. Two new primer bulbs and they both run great.
Thanks for the field report. Once in a while, I'm mistaykin.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

When I have had to pump a bulb to make something run a complete carb clean was necessary

When I have had to pump a bulb to make something run a complete carb clean was necessary
Try the bulb first!! Mine was $1.65, less than the cost of a cold beer!! Plus it worked.
Bill in Plano

Finding one is the problem right now. No, getting the wife to get ready to get out of the house is the problem right now. I did clean the carb.
Steve

So are you saying if the new bulb doesn't take care of it to try the next least expensive fix - priming it with a cold beer? Does O'doul's work?

While you're at it, replace the fuel lines (it is VERY important you re [place with proper size) and the filter in the tank. Also check to make sure the tank vent is working (usually a flapper in the gas cap). When replacing the fuel lines you will have to shove them thru a hole in the tank. . Some fuel lines get brittle and crack, others get soft and mushy. Either way, replace them. The can be bought at most mower repair shops. Take the old ones in with you to match them up. Buy a few inches extra.
Professional tip: To make this very easy to do, cut the fuel line at an angle, then they will go in much easier.
Hank