homedepot.com 4-year extended service plan, a good buy??

Hi all, we probably will be purchasing a new gas range ($299) from homedepot.com but would like to consider their 4-year extended service ($89) as our gas range's thermostat just went bad for less than 4 years. Anyone has any experience with this 4-year extended service? For $89, do I really have a peace of mind and trust that HomeDepot would really repair or even replace the gas range if it went bad for less than 4 years? Is there any restriction for this kind of extended warranty? Thanks!
http://fixitnow.com/2005/09/are-maintenance-agreements-worth-money.htm
T. T. wrote:

T. T. wrote:

Extended service plans no matter what they are called are all insurance plans. In addition they generally take about 50% of the cost and give it to the salesman then take another 20-30% for overhead and profit to the company underwriting it and that means on average the consumer (you) will get about 20-30% of your money back, the rest goes to someone else.
Save your money and put it into a fund for all repairs. You will come out far ahead.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Salesman at Lowes showed me that he got about 8 bucks selling a service plan. I bought one for $89 on a $1200 refrigerator. Would never spend that much for a $300 appliance.

I would like to point out, working at HOME DEPOT, that salesmen don't work on a commission there, not even when selling the extended service plans.
DK

company
about
T. T. wrote:

There's really not much that CAN go wrong with a gas range. Even a thermostat is, what, ten dollars?
Take the $89 and buy a case of Scotch. Whenever you need "peace of mind" have a snort.

Not sure about the 299 gas one but the 299 Americana econo electric one has no oven light! I have never figured out why it has a glass viewing door but no light.
Don't buy the warranty on anything. Unless, of course, it's a HDTV... that's the only thing that consumer reports says will break within four years as the bulbs burn out and cost $300.
Think about this. How many of these warranty things have you bought, how many have you used? IF you just like to go around and break your new toys, then maybe you're seeing a return on the $.