Home Depot Sucks

Page 3 of 3

My friend wanted to get something in the decorating dept at HD. I wandered over to the kitchen faucet display. Kid shows up and starts telling me all about faucets and that a specific one was really good. I asked him how he knew about the faucet (did he have one, did he install them for someone etc). His replay that the manufacturer's reps come to the store and show videos. So his "knowledge" was simply to parrot what he had seen in a marketing video. Given the salaries paid by HD I can't imagine more than a few people really know anything other than what they have been told.
hobart wrote:

Were I narrating that story here's where I would have added,
"She looked like she'd fallen head first into my tackle box."...
(But that's 'cause I'm now fully certified an OF.)
Jeff

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
I've had, from time to time, reason to complain about EVERY diy store in the area...HD, Lowes, Sutherlands, Payless Cashways (reaching back a bit there), I've found frustration with ALL of them. I've learned, though, which stores to visit for which purposes, which salespeople to avoid (most of them), and which to talk to (a few gems). I can get just about any project done with a minimum of fuss.
Hope you didn't pay Network Solution's price for that domain name.
- Wm
-- William Morris, Tailor Seamlyne Reproductions http://www.seamlyne.com

There really is only a few problems with HD.
1. Lack of sasles people in every department.
2. Long lines - Sometimes
3. No map to find things quickly.
Just wanted to post a quick reply, as I have had much experience with HD locationss that suck, and others that are amazing. I am a DIY rehabber of houses in Baltimore City, and live in Harford County, north of the city. I am a regular shopper of 3 different home depots, and have been to plenty others.
There's one in Baltimore City at Hillen Rd and McClean Blvd that just completely sucks. The store is laid out poorly, the floor staff has no idea what they are talking about, and the cashiers make it clear that they hate the fact that you are there. I went in there once to get some 22/4 wire, and I literally spent 15 minutes explaining to the guy who was in charge of the electrical department that 22/4 wire DOES exist, and furthermore, they DO sell it! Finally he left for a minute and I was able to find it myself and showed it to him when he came back. SO I told him I wanted 60 feet of the 22/4 I showed him, and he started rolling up some 22/2 for me. Meanwhile someone was shouting over the intercom system "[this guy's name], 420!" over and over and over. Doesn't take much thought to figure that one out.
On the other extreme is the Bel Air Home Depot. This place is amazing. They have real plumbers and real electricians working! These people KNOW what they are talking about, and can help you find anything you need. There's a fellow there named Perry who I am convinced has the right answer for every problem. Also, how about the Oops paint rack, where I have been able to paint an entire house with great neutral colors and a few less neutral colors for $5 a gallon or $15 for 5 gallons. The place is clean and very well stocked, and they have a HUGE selection of everything. The electrical department alone is two aisles, not including the wire, interior lighting, or exterior lighting departments. Unless you're still walking around the store 5 minutes after they close, all of the staff is very friendly, and there are quite a few very sttractive young ladies who work there as well. All around a great place! That's why I'm there almost every day.
There's a HD in Edgewood too, but it's nothing special. It's less clean and the staff isn't quite as knowledgable.... but it's not at all a bad place to shop. Based on the posts here I would consider the Edgewood location to be an "average" HD store.
Just wanted to add my experiences, as I have had the opportunity to be both very impressed and appalled by home depot stores.
-Neil Covington snipped-for-privacy@wam.umd.edu

I always go to Ace hardware or Osh before going to Borg. But I always end up going to Borg because they have what I want. There is one near me in Oakland. CA but I don't go there because it's over run by contractors and their trucks. I go to the one in Richmond about 5 miles away. One thing I hate about shopping there is the big lines at the checkouts. Well last weekend I saw that they had self checkout counters. While most of the zombies were standing in line the self CO registers were free. I just walked up, scanned my item, slid my card through and I was outta there. The Borg is growing on me.

Quick true thought below ....

I think many of the problems with HD are store dependant. I think the Bolingbrook, IL store is one of the cleanest and uncluttered HD stores around. I have visited 2 HDs closer to Chicago, and they are just terrible; stuff all over the place, dirty, shelves in total disarray.
Here's my story from yesterday. I went to HD to order some windows to replace 27 year old units that had seal (between the 2 panes) problems. I had infinite problems dealing with Menards and Anderson Customer Service and several other lumber/window companies. No one knew how to order the windows and what the final product would look like. Anderson frustrated my so much that I hung up on them during my last conversation. At "my" HD the millwork guy (Austin) did a great job, knew his product and knew how to order it. I placed the order and put the ~$1000 on my HD credit card where I could pay it off in 6 months interest free. I didn't have my new HD credit, however, their system still took my old one. When I got home and looked for the new credit card, I found a coupon for 10% off (up to $2000). I called, they told me to come in and bring in the coupon, which I did. They credited my account with the $100 with no problem.
CBHvac wrote:

On 14 Nov 2003 09:10:39 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@wam.umd.edu (Neil Covington) wrote:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:25:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com (Rob) wrote:

Only a tool belt?
Barry
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote:

Gimme a round butted boy with his hammer head hangin anyday!
--
Christopher a. Bung
Learn more about Gay Mormon Boys

Well, there are billboards locally for an adult club that features the bottom half of a sexy woman wearing just a tool belt with the caption "GOT WOOD?"

especially when she weighs 250#
Part of the problem (as I see it) is options. And as the average DIY'er, Home Depot, Menards, Lowes make perfect sence because those are our options.
We (speaking for the gerneral masses) do not know of a better place to shop that will sell to the gerneral public. So we will have no other place to go other than a big chain because we, Joe Handyman, needs the wide open isles and displays. Since we don't know of or have access to a real lumbayard, or wholesale supply shop.
I went into a true electrical supply shop where there is no showroom, just an order desk. I was over my head, and I didn't know what I needed. But at home depot where there are displays I can see my options, I can figure out what is best. If the local shops adverstised and was more customer friendly, I give them the business.
That's why we all trade our secrets/tips here on the web. We trade tips because no one wants to see someone else get screwed as we did. And in turn we get tips from here. It sucks paying $0.40 for a plastic spacer, or $0.89 for three screws in a baggie.
We do it, because we do not know better.
C_kubie