Home Depot Sucks

Don't be surprised if they file a lawsuit against you. I know a few people who have put up similar sites and had the companies come after them.

I also think HD sucks.

Reply to
Houseslave

He doesn't even need to back that far. For those of you who live in the Northeast, remenber Hechengers. HD is a paradise compared to those clowns. It's no wonder why they went out of business.

Reply to
Rob

This reminds me of a guy that started a website called "Anal*Mart." (You know which store I'm referring about.) They went through the trouble of Photoshopping the name on the store front.

Anyway, Home Depot was named "Best place to work" for computer professionals some years ago. They indeed take care of the workers, maybe better than their customers. It would be be nice if more companies followed their lead. Shareholders are happy.

Reply to
Phisherman

I don't know what your beef is with Home Depot but, I have bought a lot of stuff from them over the years and have never had any reason to complain. In fact, I have reason to praise them. I have never had a hassle returning anything regardless of reason, the staff have been very helpful and courteous. I also have never had the staff "try to sell me something".

As far as I am concerned, many small stores should copy Home Depot's policies regarding customer treatment.

Reply to
Ron

You are fortunate to have a good store with good staffing. Quality of help varies but I've never had a truly bad experience. Surely nothing to make a web page about. Like any store with a lot of employees. Some stand out; some are twits. Same with the customers too. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You still haven't stated what they do or don't do which is so awful.

I like my HD in the area. They're close, and they have great hours.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Mark my vote as being pro Home Depot (Here in Red Sox country..)

I'm old enough to remember when "self service" stores first emerged in quantity, having started life in the pre-WWII days when the department stores had scads of polite salesgirls (yes, I said girls, I never saw a guy working those jobs.) and a platoon of "floorwalkers", guys in dark suits with a white carnation on their lapel, and usually sporting a hairline mustache. Those guys kept their eyes on everything and knew exactly how to answer customer's questions, in english you could understand without struggling through an unfamiliar accent I might add.

It's all the unfortunate result of most of us wanting to live close to beyond our means, which reduces to our looking at low prices first, and then bitching about the lack of service.

Now, just stop and think what those two words self and service mean...I don't find HD any worse than nearly any other large store I shop at nowadays, generally their staff can direct me to the things I'm looking for. And, they are far more willing to accept returns "no questions asked" probably because the clerk handling returns probably doesn't really feel his income is directly linked to the day's profit and loss. The owner/operator of a small shop might look for ways to not have to "eat" a return, hoping to avoid it by saying, "They're all like that", or something similar.

I keep telling folks, if you're not satisfied with the service you got from the jewelry department at Sears, next time shop at Tiffany's, where you'll be treated like a big shot millionaire, and charged accordingly.

Low prices, ample courteous service, or high quality...Pick two out of three.

Just my .02

Jeff

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

Or Grossmans.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Once I went to the Home Depot power tool department to look at dry-wall drivers. They had about 8 models on display. I had never used a dry-wall driver before (except for the bits for drills). I was comparing and scratching my chin for five minutes until the clerk came over to see if I had questions. SHE looked to be 22 years old, had at least 10 body piercings that I could see, painted hair. I rolled my eyes and silently asked "what can she possibly know about power tools"? She knew the general application for each of the tools from cheapest to most expensive, as well as the performance specs for most of them. She knew about the accessories available, and the limits of the tools. She weeded out a couple that were beyond or below my requirements, so I was left with a narrower selection to fret over. All that was left was deciding on merits of ergonomics and a smaller price spread. When she walked away I stood there stunned for a minute or two.

How's that for a HD story?

Reply to
hobart

I've had, from time to time, reason to complain about EVERY diy store in the area...HD, Lowes, Sutherlands, Payless Cashways (reaching back a bit there), I've found frustration with ALL of them. I've learned, though, which stores to visit for which purposes, which salespeople to avoid (most of them), and which to talk to (a few gems). I can get just about any project done with a minimum of fuss.

Hope you didn't pay Network Solution's price for that domain name.

- Wm

Reply to
William Morris

I forgot about HD hours--I take them for granted now. They are good! The local 84 Lumber is closed when I get off work, closes at noon on Saturday, and closed on Sunday.

Reply to
Phisherman

How about this story:

My friend wanted to get something in the decorating dept at HD. I wandered over to the kitchen faucet display. Kid shows up and starts telling me all about faucets and that a specific one was really good. I asked him how he knew about the faucet (did he have one, did he install them for someone etc). His replay that the manufacturer's reps come to the store and show videos. So his "knowledge" was simply to parrot what he had seen in a marketing video. Given the salaries paid by HD I can't imagine more than a few people really know anything other than what they have been told.

Reply to
George

Reply to
nospambob

If it was returned because it was not needed, why shouldn't it be resold? I am NOT talking about used items, but perfectly good, new merchandise.

I bring back extra materials, and new and unused tools all the time. Just because a label or box is dirty, the item should be sent to the dump?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Reply to
nospambob

Im in IL. And we are either HD or Menards. Personally, I shop Menards for most items. There only a few things I go to HD for (ie. certain brands, or lumber).

Menards at least has sales. HD never has sales They have a flyer that just shows nice color picture of their regular prices.

Also, I see the Menards stores are a little more casual of a store, it definently doesn't have a large corporate image. Selling Christmas stuff definently makes it more family friendly.

It's pretty sad when they see you three times a day on the weekends.

Reply to
c_kubie

Ahh, c'mon. You love it. Hell, it makes you 'feel' like a pro at something. You know those aisles like the back of your hand dontcha? Admit it, you even try to assist shoppers and direct them to 'hardware' and 'floorcoverings' when you get the chance..

Otherwise you'd make a list and get it all in one trip.

-- Liam

Reply to
Liam McConn

You missed a perfect oppurtunity to thank the good lord you have at least 1 good eye..

Reply to
Liam McConn

Were I narrating that story here's where I would have added,

"She looked like she'd fallen head first into my tackle box."...

(But that's 'cause I'm now fully certified an OF.)

Jeff

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

Just wanted to post a quick reply, as I have had much experience with HD locationss that suck, and others that are amazing. I am a DIY rehabber of houses in Baltimore City, and live in Harford County, north of the city. I am a regular shopper of 3 different home depots, and have been to plenty others.

There's one in Baltimore City at Hillen Rd and McClean Blvd that just completely sucks. The store is laid out poorly, the floor staff has no idea what they are talking about, and the cashiers make it clear that they hate the fact that you are there. I went in there once to get some 22/4 wire, and I literally spent 15 minutes explaining to the guy who was in charge of the electrical department that 22/4 wire DOES exist, and furthermore, they DO sell it! Finally he left for a minute and I was able to find it myself and showed it to him when he came back. SO I told him I wanted 60 feet of the 22/4 I showed him, and he started rolling up some 22/2 for me. Meanwhile someone was shouting over the intercom system "[this guy's name], 420!" over and over and over. Doesn't take much thought to figure that one out.

On the other extreme is the Bel Air Home Depot. This place is amazing. They have real plumbers and real electricians working! These people KNOW what they are talking about, and can help you find anything you need. There's a fellow there named Perry who I am convinced has the right answer for every problem. Also, how about the Oops paint rack, where I have been able to paint an entire house with great neutral colors and a few less neutral colors for $5 a gallon or $15 for 5 gallons. The place is clean and very well stocked, and they have a HUGE selection of everything. The electrical department alone is two aisles, not including the wire, interior lighting, or exterior lighting departments. Unless you're still walking around the store 5 minutes after they close, all of the staff is very friendly, and there are quite a few very sttractive young ladies who work there as well. All around a great place! That's why I'm there almost every day.

There's a HD in Edgewood too, but it's nothing special. It's less clean and the staff isn't quite as knowledgable.... but it's not at all a bad place to shop. Based on the posts here I would consider the Edgewood location to be an "average" HD store.

Just wanted to add my experiences, as I have had the opportunity to be both very impressed and appalled by home depot stores.

-Neil Covington snipped-for-privacy@wam.umd.edu

Reply to
Neil Covington