Home Depot Store Security

Page 3 of 4
Smitty Two wrote:

Still haven't found any of the myriad off-topic posts of mine, eh?
It's been twelve hours already.
Smitty Two wrote:

It's not MY "search request." You VOLUNTEERED to do the research.
Specifically:
"I *can* do the research to prove my point, but I don't want to upset your delicate constitution by making you wrong."
You won't upset MY delicate constitution. I suspect you'll discover "denial" is not a river in Missouri.
Smitty Two wrote:

So, have you blown me off, being unable to prove your assertion and unwilling to admit the mistake, or are you a busy little bee?
The world wants to know.
Smitty Two wrote:

"Endless series of posts on HOA..." Endless?
I've made exactly ONE post regarding HOAs since August 1st.
Guns? I've made TWO posts involving guns: One referencing Home Depot, the other on how a shotgun can be made in a home workshop. Both, as I earlier said, may not be precisely involving home repair, but certainly, just like HOAs, within the interest sphere of DIYer's.
Okay, so here's the bottom line. 1. You insult me. 2. I call you on it and challenge you to substantiate the claim. 3. You demur, saying you don't have the time or inclination to do so. 4. Now you come up with ANOTHER easily debunked insult.
Pitiful, just pitiful.

OK then, if his power over the military is absolute why can't he wave his magic wand and create all-gay divisions in each service and put an end to DADT? The idea that he has absolute power is absolutely bogus. Someone with a high school civics background knows that the concept of absolute power is *exactly* what the Founding Fathers were trying to eliminate from the new government they were creating. The idea that the CinC is the unquestionable overlord over all things military overlooks reality.
I believe that what you may be trying to say is that in times of "invasion or open rebellion" there are exceptions to habeas corpus and unusual "one-off" events. My recollection is that most of of the recent SCOTUS rulings have clearly rebuffed the "President can do anything he chooses in time of war" claims that the Bush adminstration was advancing. As I said, it's not a partisan thing. Every administration back as far as I know to Jefferson has tried to push the envelope in some way. The US presidency was designed to be weak, and as the world places more (unwarranted) blame at the feet of Presidents, they have responded by logically seeking to expand their powers. It's a natural outgrowth of being blamed for something you can't control: You want the ability to control that thing you're being blamed for in the future.

both
If all that is true, and in reality only partially so, what would prevent Obama from sending troops to Canada because he had secret information that Canada was planning a surprise invasion? Under your interpretations of the President's powers, no one could stop him if he really, really wanted to send them. The truth is that the President faces many impediments to the exercise of his power of the military, including the entire Uniform Code of Military Justice. It's the reason why there's no "Big Pink One" Division or "Bad Ass Black" Brigade.
Yes, the POTUS has great latitude over approving battle plans and even things as critical as selecting and approving the targets for the two A-bombs that we've dropped. But it's not absolute in any sense. And it's not without serious review. In other words Congress and the SCOTUS can't micromanage him, but they certainly can hold him responsible for his actions.

But thank God he got them over with in a hurry compared the slow motion agony of AfRaq. The Clinton "police actions" at least had very much more clearly defined goals and exit strategies. Mission creep, the bane of the US military for a long, long time should have been dead and buried by the time we got to Iraq. It is hammered into the head of every officer at every phase of their military education. I was stunned to see Rummy make a mistake as classic as willingly fighting a two-front war. He just kept allowing the perpetual expansion of the mission until, for Fu3k's sake we found ourselves building Muslim "democracies" with American blood and treasure. What the heck?

send
Remember that Newt was quite willing to shut down the Federal government in his showdown with Clinton. Do you think a President as dynamic as either of the Roosevelts could exist today? I don't. Bush tried, I believe, but he was as hamstrung as anyone who followed FDR. The politcal climate has seriously changed as well as the speed of communication and reaction. Both seriously cut into the margin of time a President has between taking a controversial action and having the SCOTUS scuttle it.

maybe
Ditto. (-:
All I am asking, rather stridently, is to put those two stinkin' letters in the subject line to make it easier for people who just want to read home repair info and couldn't care less about all things political. I think the worst thing about political discussions is that it makes enemies out of people who might not otherwise feel that way and that ill-will follows into the advice given on home repair topics. How many times have we seen someone shoot down another's advice over trivialities that have more to do with "gotcha backs!" than anything else?
If it seems I'm picking on you, I'm not. The reverse is true. We often disagree but unlike many others, you're aware that being insulting is counterproductive to winning converts to your point of view, which I believe is important to you. That's a welcome quantum leap over some of the more childish postings I see. Hopefully you'll set an example to be emulated, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
-- Bobby G.
On Dec 2, 7:30am, "Stormin Mormon"

When his political platform was "change", most people thought he meant "...Washington". He really meant "....everyone outside Washington".

Well, we've seen what Demonicrats get us. Bankrupt.

That will never happen. Big Business is driving the trend to consolidate Federal power because they don't like to have to deal with the Attorneys General and different laws of the 50 states. The trend, through Federal bribery and Big Business lobbying, is towards uniform state rules like the Uniform Motor Vehicle Code and the Uniform Commercial Code. By 2150 we'll be separate states pretty much the way the Queen is the ruler of England. In name only.
As for immigration laws, it's way, way too late to change the fact that the US will be predominantly Hispanic by the year 2050:
http://www.cis.org/CensusBureau2050Projections-LowerLegalImmigration breaks it down this way:
" . . . each year from 1997 to 2050 more than half of America's population growth will occur among the nation's Hispanic and Asian and Pacific Islander populations. Four of every 10 people added to the population through net immigration from 1995 to 2050 would be Hispanic, three in 10 would be Asian and Pacific Islander, two in 10 would be non-Hispanic White and one in 10 would be Black.
All us white folks better start learning Spanish and thinking about what it means to be a minority. The new immigration laws will have to include "ethnic cleansing" to have any significant effect on the process. While Harry believes we're capable of that, I don't.
-- Bobby G.

On 11/30/2010 11:52 PM, Robert Green wrote:

White folks better start fornicating a lot more. Perhaps Caucasians could receive endangered species status from the federal government? It would become illegal for anyone to appropriate our habitat. :-)
TDD
harry wrote:

I haven't forgotten. I'm all for it.
It allows American gun manufacturers greater profit, the gun retailer makes a profit, and the guns are used to kill drug runners.
Where's the bad?

They were grabbing power from the people. It was one more excuse to be able to stop and check out any citizen at any time with only the suspicion that they might be illegal. A cop would be able to use that excuse anytime against anybody they want.
Yes, those Mexicans that support the AZ law should feel ashamed and so should any other freedom loving person.
-C-
Country wrote:

try reading the bill instead of parroting what you've read elsewhere. this statement is incorrect.

On Nov 29, 11:11pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

Reminds me of many years ago when I first moved to this area and got involved in the local sports. After a late softball game, most of the team went to a local bar to blow off steam. Wife and I had many beers and a burger or two. But I had always been used to paying for each beer or burger or whatever I got when it was delivered to the table but this place just trusted people to pay up before leaving.
When we decided to leave, we just went out to the car and nobody stopped us. I got behind the wheel and started the car and just sat there for a minute with my arms folded. Wife asked me what was wrong and I said that something just doesn't feel right. Then it hit me that I hadn't paid my tab. I ran back in the bar and paid up.
Ain't nothing like a clear conscience.
-C-
Dick Adams wrote:

You could have prevented all the confusion and commotion by carrying a large magnet in your pocket. Rub the item over your pant's and you're good to go.
Here's the one I use (95lb pull): http://www.harborfreight.com/66mm-round-magnet-96650.html
On 11/30/2010 12:11 AM, Dick Adams wrote:

While checking out at Wall Maart the cashier told me that one item is going to set off the alarm. So just for the hell of it I told them to watch as I held the item above my head and walked out without triggering the alarm.
I can see it now. All the footballs are going to be stolen as people pass them out to their friends past the sensors.
Now I haven't tried it, but wouldn't a strong magnet disable those little suckers?

No, not if they are RFID tags used in newer installations by Sensormatic and Checkpoint. They even have transmitters that they claim will go through foil-lined purses etc...
They work just like toll passes. A field of electromagnetic energy is emitted from the receiver location, which is enough energy to power on the small chip and it's transmitter that "wakes up" the tag long enough for it to send it's RFID identifier.
--
You'll be Ok, Enjoy. Life is nothing more than a bunch of mini
vacations all rolled into one. - Old Gringo
On 11/30/2010 12:33 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

Wouldn't it be fun to scatter a handful or two of sticky RFID chips around the floor of a store that uses RFID security? :-)
TDD
It's powered by the electromagnetic force that the two post-type things on either side of the door generate.
The patch is mostly antenna to send out the signal and the little transmitter doesn't need much power at all. The EM wave gives it the power to send out it's ping.
Tony!

I will top post this just for you Chris since that is your style. (grin). If you do that what would Jesus say?

Stormin Mormon wrote:

The RF coming from the sensors when you walk out the door supplies power, via the antenna, to the chip, which then emits another RF signal back to the sensor to indicate that it is still functional (and has not been deactivated).
Jon