Home Depot Store Security

It's powered by the electromagnetic force that the two post-type things on either side of the door generate.

The patch is mostly antenna to send out the signal and the little transmitter doesn't need much power at all. The EM wave gives it the power to send out it's ping.

T>>> I took apart one of those security tags, years ago. It's got antenna

Reply to
Tony

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:56:37 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03 wrote Re Re: Home Depot Store Security:

snip

Good point and advice.

Reply to
Vinny From NYC

I will top post this just for you Chris since that is your style. (grin). If you do that what would Jesus say?

Reply to
WW

The RF coming from the sensors when you walk out the door supplies power, via the antenna, to the chip, which then emits another RF signal back to the sensor to indicate that it is still functional (and has not been deactivated).

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I bought a pair of shoes that hadn't had the tag deactivated. Every store I went into set off the alarm. Coming and going. I never got more than a cursury glance and usually not even that!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I once worked at a big box store. We were told NOT to detain anyone under any circumstances. Loss prevention employees were the only ones authorized to initiate detaining anyone, and that was only based upon one criteria. They had to have constant video surveilance, on tape, of the person walking from their car into the store without packages, video of them throughout the store without gaps in the video, and video of them exiting without going thru a checkout point. Any of that video missing and they had to let them leave unchallenged. Yeah, they missed a lot of thefts, but they were damned good at profileing the semi- pros.

The biggest scam though was stealing from one store, going to a nearby similar store's customer service with the stolen item and asking for a refund claiming a lost receipt.

Wal-Mart needs to implement a training program for employees. Have you read about the 100 yr old "Greeter" trying to play security cop?

Moffit

Well, since broad swaths of Detroit are basically abandoned, if you consider the city as a whole, your odds of being targeted by the local wildlife do skew in your favor. Go into the wrong neighborhood, though, and you may as well lay on the ground with your neck extended.

Reply to
aemeijers

Wouldn't it be fun to scatter a handful or two of sticky RFID chips around the floor of a store that uses RFID security? :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

If you get CONVICTED of three FELONIES you go to jail for 25 to life, it is called "the three strikes law"...

Most professional shoplifters know more about the law than people think and won't steal felony-value amounts in any one attempt...

BTW, arrests have nothing to do with convictions Molly... You can be arrested many times and not end up getting convicted of the crimes you are accused of OR you could have ONE incident which results in three FELONY counts and get that 25 to life sentence for one event if you are convicted on all counts at trial... I really hate it when people spout off supposed knowledge about the law and then get it totally wrong...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Quit right Evan. Thank you for being so specific.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Many / most all states now have a three strike rule.

Old stuff:

"On November 4, 1995, Leandro Andrade stole five videotapes from a K-Mart store in Ontario, California. Two weeks later, he stole four videotapes from a different K-Mart store in Montclair, California. Andrade had been in and out of state and federal prisons since 1982, and at the time of these two crimes in 1995, had been convicted of petty theft, residential burglary, transportation of marijuana, and escaping from prison. As a result of these prior convictions, the prosecution charged Andrade with two counts of petty theft with a prior conviction, which under California law can either be a felony or a misdemeanor. Under California's three strikes law, any felony can serve as the third "strike" and thereby expose the defendant to a mandatory sentence of 25 years to life in prison.

[...]

"Kevin Weber was sentenced to 25 years to life for the crime of burglary (previous strikes of burglary and assault with a deadly weapon).[21] Prosecutors said the six-time parole violator broke into the restaurant to rob the safe after a busy Mother's Day holiday, but triggered the alarm system before he could do it. When Weber was arrested, his pockets were full of cookies he had taken from the restaurant"

Oren

That will never happen. Big Business is driving the trend to consolidate Federal power because they don't like to have to deal with the Attorneys General and different laws of the 50 states. The trend, through Federal bribery and Big Business lobbying, is towards uniform state rules like the Uniform Motor Vehicle Code and the Uniform Commercial Code. By 2150 we'll be separate states pretty much the way the Queen is the ruler of England. In name only.

As for immigration laws, it's way, way too late to change the fact that the US will be predominantly Hispanic by the year 2050:

breaks it down this way:

" . . . each year from 1997 to 2050 more than half of America's population growth will occur among the nation's Hispanic and Asian and Pacific Islander populations. Four of every 10 people added to the population through net immigration from 1995 to 2050 would be Hispanic, three in 10 would be Asian and Pacific Islander, two in 10 would be non-Hispanic White and one in 10 would be Black.

All us white folks better start learning Spanish and thinking about what it means to be a minority. The new immigration laws will have to include "ethnic cleansing" to have any significant effect on the process. While Harry believes we're capable of that, I don't.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

White folks better start fornicating a lot more. Perhaps Caucasians could receive endangered species status from the federal government? It would become illegal for anyone to appropriate our habitat. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Funny thing about law, the law never seems to work according to law.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Wasn't there a ex-con in Californiastan sent up for life after swiping a slice of pizza away from a kid? The screw you attitude of criminals is what keeps them in trouble. More than once, I've read in the local paper about a fugitive who was captured during a traffic stop because he wouldn't dim his headlights. It struck me that there must be a deep fundamental psychological defect that is responsible for the behavior of terminal screw-ups and they're so surprised when they get arrested.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

We have them here too. They're call Mozart.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes. "Capitalism - Green in tooth and claw"

Reply to
HeyBub

I haven't forgotten. I'm all for it.

It allows American gun manufacturers greater profit, the gun retailer makes a profit, and the guns are used to kill drug runners.

Where's the bad?

Reply to
HeyBub

I recall two memorable arrests in my career. One was for a chap who swiped a barbecued half-chicken from a Stop-And-Rob. Another was for one of two teenage girls who shoplifted a scarf from a discount store (her cohort stole a pair of nylon panties).

Both were charged with "Theft of Wool, Mohair, or Edible Meat," which, at that time, was a felony.

The rule in police work is to charge the suspect with the highest conceivable crime. This gives the DA negotiating room to reduce the charge to misdemeanor mopery in exchange for a guilty plea.

Reply to
HeyBub

Alan Dershowitz posited several rules regarding the criminal law.

  1. Virtually all criminal defendants are, in fact, guilty.
  2. Rule #1 is known to the judge, the prosecutor, and the defense attorney.
  3. Many times convictions cannot be had without violating the defendant's rights.
  4. Rule #3 is known to the judge, the prosecutor, and the defense attorney.
  5. Often what the defendant did cannot be proved and what can be proved is not what the defendant did.
  6. Rule #6 is known to the judge, the prosecutor, and the defense attorney.

Here's how a perp can be sent to the Grey Bar Hotel by merely changing ONE LETTER in the offense report.

"While on routine patrol, we turned the corner of "X" and "Y" streets and saw suspect "Z", known to us as a person with several prior convictions for auto theft, sitting ON a parked car we later determined to be stolen..."

Change "ON" to "IN" and see what happens.

Reply to
HeyBub