Home Depot's Inventory Control Problem

My favorite is hearing the announcements for HD bluelight specials of the day announced in SPANISH.
WE'RE IN AMERICA. SPEAK FUCKING ENGLISH OR GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME TO.
And this applies to all who pander to the invading slime.
Steve

(snip)
Depends on where you are. In the southwest, there are plenty of 3rd and 4th generation Born In USA <citizens> who primarilly speak Spanish. Some families can trace their presence back before the area WAS part of US. Don't forget, lots of US territory used to belong to Spain or Mexico. Some old land titles go back to Spanish land grants, not English or French ones. The border moved, not the people or the culture. Yeah, they would probably have an easier time if they assimilated fully into the Anglo culture, but hey, they were there first.
So in other words- at least some of the people you bitch about ARE FROM HERE. When did all your ancestors come over?
And no, I'm not a Spanish speaker. Wish I wasn't so lousy with languages- it would make travel easier.
aem sends....

My grandparents came from Poland in 1912. They became naturalized citizens by learning to read and write in English. They insisted their children learn the language and customs of the US, and to be proud Americans, not Polish-Americans.
Steve
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 08:36:09 -0700, "Steve B"

The block I grew up on was a real melting pot, and basically we all felt the same way as your grandparents did. I am Italian, my friends were German/Italian, Polish, Black, Irish/French. But, we all considered ourselves American.

I wonder what would have happened if your Grandpa or mine had gone down to the DMV and insisted that he be given his driving test in his native language.
Steve
Spoken like a man who does,nt know how to ask how and opens the box to see if he can fiqure it out then leaves the mess for someone else to clean up. Instead of serving him the mighty handyman. I work in retail and have heard all of these bs stories a hundred times usually from man that don,t know anything to start with and don,t know how to admit it Ed wrote:

And you are exactly what I was talking about Complacent Joe Beer Chucker. You are the whining complacent type that tolerates what bones are thrown your way while the rest of us that DO know how to figure things out act instead of sucking our thumbs and crying to mommy and asking the tax payers to help you out.
Complacent Joe Beer Chuckers go crazy when you talk down about Complacent Joe Beer Chuckers!

Nothing against your sister in law, but really. Not all, but a good percentage of Walmart workers (at least in my 3-4 local stores) really don't look like they would be able to handle working anywhere else. As far as your sister in law, when the supervisor said he should write her up...she should have demanded that he did so. Then she should have taken a copy of the write up to the local tv satation, newspaper, etc. Walmart does not like that kind of publicity. The only thing that bothers me about the Walmart bashing crowd is that they say Walmart is helpng the Chinese blah blah blah....then they go to KMart, Sears, Home depot, etc etc etc. and buy Chinese made stuff. I don't see much difference really...except it's cheaper at Walmart. I just bought some nice guitar cables at Walmert, made in MO...so I was glad to see that they still have some USA stuff.

I believe all of this, and I don't think it's unusual, and that's why I don't like Walmart.

I live in a small town of 17,000 and walmart has DECIMATED this town of its mom and pop stores
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Inasmuch as "decimate" means "to reduce by 10%," that's not too bad. If you meant "destroyed," well, good-o. 17,000 people get lower prices, better hours, and greater variety. Shoppers in your town now have a $300 BILLION company standing behind their sales and service. Compare that to the mom-and-pop stores.
Small vignette: I recently bought some tires at Walmart. After the hippie installed and balanced the new tires, I asked: "All done?"
"Not quite," he said, and disappeared. He returned in a few moments with the automotive manager in tow. The manager was carrying a torque wrench and proceeded to test all the lug nuts. While this was going on, the hippie oozed over to me and said: "Company policy says I have to have another member of the staff test all the bolt-thingies. Wouldn't want your nuts to fall off! Hee-hee."
Needless to say, I approved of the redundancy. Especially considering the dope-crazed beatnik in charge of the project! Hmm. Maybe that's WHY they have the policy -- to many customer's driving off with missing lug nuts?
And, since there is now no competition in your town, did the great bug-a-boo, Wal-Mart raising their prices since they are now an effective monopoly, actually come to pass?
HeyBub wrote:

While you're correct with the first definition, it isn't really the one in common use as the Roman legions have been gone for quite some time. The above alternative is undoubtedly the most widely used these days, particularly in the given context.
It's only slightly larger here and the same is also true wrt family businesses.
And, it certainly isn't all good...those vacant storefronts aren't valued anything close to what they would be if occupied and many are, in fact, arrears in taxes as there's no incentive for the owners to keep them current. Retail sales tax receipts haven't increased that much and the rebates on property taxes and required services are enough to pretty much wipe that out.
I'll grant longer hours, but who needs shopping at 2AM??? As for selection and prices, the prime thing that happened is that everything became lowest common denominator as Wal-Mart is not exactly known for catering to anything except the masses.
As for the tire shop, I'm not impressed -- I'll continue to deal w/ the local fellow I know and have known for 40 years. I don't need to worry about somebody checking up on whether he did the work properly or not.

They don't stand behind much of anything. They'll be happy to point you to how to find the manufacturer's warranty, then you're on your own. No improvement there.

I once had an oil change done at a WalMart. After filling the engine with oil they forgot to put the cap on. I'm pretty sure this "policy" is the result of someone forgetting to tighten the lug nuts. I hope the victim of such idiocy wasn't badly hurt.

Here in Chicago, WalMart prices will vary from store to store. The stores with less direct competition will have higher prices. Every so often the news media will compare prices against Target stores. At least here you don't always save at WalMart. And returns are so much easier at Target.

Apparently, you've never worked in the business market.
EVERY government contract ( except Halliburton ) is let on the bid-system.
Thats local, county, state, or federal.
You want to supply goods or services, you'll be the low bidder.
<rj>
frank1492 wrote:

There is no debate and there are no merits. Wallmart is bad for everyone except wallmart.
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

40 million shoppers say you're wrong. They voted with their feet and their dollars.
The average Wal-Mart shopper spends $2300 annually at Wal-Mart. Assuming this is 10% lower than they would have spent without Wal-Mart, times the number of shoppers, you'll find that Wal-Mart provides, each year, a greater dollar benefit to society than all the government's welfare programs combined.
And the company pays taxes while they do it.
On 08/18/06 11:02 am HeyBub wrote:

Yes, Wal-Mart pays corporate taxes at the same time they are getting massive tax breaks from towns and cities where they open stores.
But whether it's Wal-Mart, HD, Lowe's, or Joe's Building Supplies, I think it's a disgrace that the wages for a 40-hour week (or perhaps even a 50- or 60-hour week) are not enough to put a roof over the worker's head, put food on his/her table, meet the costs of transportation at least to and from work, and cover health-care costs --at least not in any place reasonably fit for human habitation.
Perce

Well, that's what happens to people that don't have a college education...
--
Regards,
Exactly. As a teacher I see students who make no effort to succeed. Parents are not supportive and have low expectations. In that situation, there is little chance for success, Many drop out of HS or even middle school and of course they cannot go to college get a good job. They end up in menial jobs or involved in crime. Is that Walmart's fault? No!! College is not mandatory for success look at the tradesmen. But they did have to make some effort to become a licensed plumber or electrician. If you dont take responsibility for your own life dont blame Walmart for your failure.
Doug Miller wrote:

On 08/18/06 01:23 pm Doug Miller wrote:

But there are jobs without which society would not continue that do not require a college education. Think: ditch digger, sanitation worker. If these people are making a useful contribution to society, why should they not receive a living wage? Is it only work for which a college education is required that society really needs?
And many jobs for which employers are demanding a college degree do not need one. And when enough people have college degrees, employers will demand that sanitation workers have college degrees too -- end they still won't have enough to live on. (Many years ago, a trucking company in Madras, India, was demanding a Bachelor's degree for truck drivers because there was a glut of graduates and the employer was able to make unreasonable demands.)
Perce