home depot

After 40 years in the corporate world it amazes me how employers want honest workers who will lie only for the corporation, minimum wage workers capable of making management decisions, and so it goes. Such is the way of American business.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

I'll use them as soon as they give me a discount for doing the work of the cashier.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Right. Keep waiting in line, then.

Reply to
Dan C

How long do you have?

Gripes:

  1. Self checkout lines. If I wanted a job as a cashier, I'd put in an application.

  1. Too few open checkout lanes. I've left a full shopping cart and walked out more than once.

  2. Aisles that are blocked off during shopping hours. Do your restocking when the store is closed. (Although, maybe you're restocking the stuff left in shopping carts by disgruntled customers)

  1. Employees who complain about working conditions or company policy to customers. If you don't like it there, there is a Lowes a block away.

  2. Lack of "associates" in the department that I'm needing help with. I and six other folks waited in the electrical department for wire cutting one day. I went to the service desk twice asking for someone to help. Then I remembered there is a Lowes a block away.

  1. Lack of follow up support. I just bought an LG washer and drier (00). The door on the washer squeaks and rattles during the spin cycle. I called HD and was asked, "Did you adjust the door?" I wanted to say, "Hell no, if I wanted to work on a washing machine I would have kept the old one." I was told to call LG's 800 number. Guy says (in a foreign accent of some sort), "Did you adjust the door?" I suspect that if I would reply "yes" they would say I voided the warrenty. I -may- get service next Wednesday.

(I know I was asking for this by buying appliances at HD. I usually use local stores but they don't have LG and HD was having a hell of a sale.)

  1. Shit quality lumber. When I need firewood there's a Mexican guy on the street corner selling Mesquite a lot cheaper.

  1. I want to buy nails and screws by the pound or each. I don't need a box or blister pack.

Pluses:

1) They sponsor Tony Stewart.

Wes Stewart

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Down here they'd say "3 meters?"

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Don't you mean tres metros?

: )

Reply to
John

I've had to push one of those carts with long items in it. It wasn't as easy as it should be?

Also, how much weight would they handle? What if I wanted to buy 400 pounds of quick-drying concrete?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I often prefer the local hardware store when I want someone who knows about hardware.

Wal-Mart calls their clerks "associates" too. I was in the store one morning, when they were having a meeting. It sounded like a cult.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On 12/10/05 11:13 am Frank Boettcher tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

The DIY checkouts (whether at HD or elsewhere) are in fact one of my pet peeves: if the item won't scan, there's no way for me to punch in the UPC. And when I've ripped the UPC code label off a piece of lumber because I can't get the lumber+label into the scanner's line of sight, the stupid high-tech-but-brain-dead device keeps telling me to "Place the item in the bag", as though the only thing anybpody is going to buy is packages of nails.

Our two closest HD stores have pretty much eliminated checkers and now rely on DIY checkouts. But fortunately there is a Lowe's much closer, and a Menard's, and an old-fashioned lumber yard/sawmill.

I also object to DIY checkouts because they are designed to put even more people out of work. Checkout jobs aren't something that can be exported to India or Mexico or China, so instead we'll replace them by machines made in India or Mexico or China.

Decades ago they told us that automation and computerization would mean a greatly reduced working week, but what has happened is that maybe the average working week has declined, but with people in "third-world" countries working well over 40 hrs a week and many of the formerly-employed in the West working ZERO hours a week. Aren't averages wonderful?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Interesting. We just had a new HD open last week. When I went to check out, all the self checkouts had lines and the closest check out with a human operator had no customers.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I hate it when there are no cashiers (just the automated things).

Reply to
CJT

That reminds me of when I sought to special order a wall switch they didn't have in stock. I was expecting maybe $15, but the price I was quoted was $75.

Reply to
CJT

Yours has free coffee?

Reply to
CJT

It's easier to just go to Lowe's. They're almost right across the street.

Reply to
CJT

I'll have to follow up with the common theme here, finding any associate (let alone one in your department of interest) is next to impossible. It's one thing when you can't find someone to ask a question, but it's even worse when you NEED an associate in order to make your purchase, in my case flooring. This flooring was also a special order, something I'll NEVER do at Home Depot again. I ordered mu flooring in early November..... still waiting. Lowes is much better in all the complaints above, we've been driving the extra 10 minutes to Lowes instead. While Home Depot does have cheaper prices, Lowes has better selection of goods and much better help.

Reply to
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Been there, done that....

But, sometimes you get lucky and the questioner is a yummy mummy and you can kill time by running some of your pet tool using fantasies in your "minds eye" while you're watching and listening.

Happy Holidays,

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I'm not convinced HD has lower prices generally. My impression is that on some things they do, and on others not.

Reply to
CJT

Reply to
nospambob

No 14' lumber.

No yellow pine lumber.

Too long to check out.

Not a good selection of materials.

Terrible corporate credit card system.

Way too hard to discount large orders, or to get the same discount with follow up purchases.

No support for contractors.

No real delivery except to curb.

No discounts for contractors.

Terrible special order system.

Terrible delivery times for special orders.

Terrible tracking of special orders.

Associates are NOT knowledgable about products.

No loaders to help load.

Low paid, low skilled installers of products.

Overpriced materials.

No bulk items.

Shall I go on...?

Reply to