home depot

Page 2 of 7

Every place has its exceptions... ;-)
The HD near us (Ottawa west) has _extremely_ good service. So good that I wonder whether the guys down there are shopping at a completely different chain ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Many of the "associates" are not customer oriented.
Just one example. I needed a sheet of plywood cut and the "associate" complained that he had other work to do. THIS IS HIS JOB to cut sheet goods.
Some "associates" are knowledgeable, but others can't tell you where the restrooms are.
The merchandise is strictly mass market goods. If you want a better quality, off to the local stores. I'd never buy another screw at HD as they are strictly junk compared to what I get at many other places. HD is good for lightbulbs, some tools, and a few brand name commodity items, but not a consideration for appliances (better service and pricing locally) or a decent grade of lumber. I bought my Pella patio door at the dealer right cross from HD as the HD store only sold a cheap version, not the better grade.
BTW, why do stores use the term "associate" when you are really a retail clerk? There is no shame in that and I imaging the pay is about the same.
One thing I hate about the HD we have in our town, is once you finally succeed in finding what you are looking for, then try to check out, you can't get out of the place.
There's numerous checkout lanes, with only 1 staffed. It's getting like that everywhere though unfortunately. When a company/business looks to cut overhead costs, and increase its profits, it seems it always points its finger to the employees. Mark

Was recently in Mesa, AZ. Went to two different HDs and only one checkout lane staffed at each. Several customers just left their carts and walked out the door. I asked a manager why and he said they can't get people to come work for them. He said they even hit the malls to recruit people but they either don't show up or can't pass the drug test when they do. At one, I figured out that the one checker they had was called out of bed on his day off to come in at the last minute because someone didn't show up for work, from what he was saying to other associates. I think by the way, that the word "associates" was started by WalMart to make their employees feel better about working for so little money. Kind of like giving someone a title rather than a raise. Tom
it always amazes me when companies talk about how they can't hire people. if you pay decent wages, you'll get people. simple economics. to hear them tell it, you'd think they were required by law to limit wages.
bill

After 40 years in the corporate world it amazes me how employers want honest workers who will lie only for the corporation, minimum wage workers capable of making management decisions, and so it goes. Such is the way of American business.
Bob
rider89 wrote:

Employers are, in fact, limited by law as to what they can pay.
I've had employees, even recently, that were not even worth $1.00/hour but I had to pay them over five times that! Then I had to kick in 6% for their Social Security, plus Medicare. I had to accrue vacation, sick time, and holiday pay.
And I couldn't fire them for being doofuses because my overall unemployment insurance would jump from 2% to 16% for FIVE YEARS (I learned that one the hard way).
So, you just have to get rid of them creatively.
Write 'em up a couple of times - over their objections, of course - for acting drunk on the job. Then, with witnesses, find a half-bottle of Four Roses in their desk drawer.
So, yeah, employers are required, by law, to limit wages.

Never a problem in MA where I work. I hire people with a 90 day trial period. They can be canned for any reason and it does not affect our rates. Your state may vary. Of course, after 90 days, it can be a problem is the good worker decides to not be so good after the trial period.

Nothing you say below supports this sentence.
No matter how valid your complaints me be or not be, I just can't take you seriously.

No.
Maybe when you get your head on straight, you'll be able to handle your problems at work better.

Maybe. I don't know.

Exactly like giving someone a title rather than a raise.
Things may have changed in the last 20 years, but if you go back before then, did you notice that every manager and maybe even below that of a branch bank was a "vice-president" of the bank?

I suspect that may have been due to the lawyers. Perhaps they had to be an officer to make a commitment that was binding.
Boden
mm wrote:

Maybe. Had'nt thought of that.

On 12/13/05 04:56 am mm tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Probably goes with the inflation of degree names: are US physicians better physicians than their UK counterparts because the US degree is called "MD" ("Medical Doctor" or "Doctor of Medicine") whereas a British physician typically has two Bachelor's degrees ("MBBS" = "Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery")? Or is a US lawyer with a "JD" ("Doctor of Laws") more qualified than a UK lawyer with an "LLB" ("Bachelor of Laws")?
Perce
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:37:41 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

I thought that stood for "jockey of disks".

They used to give LLB in the US too, and I know from what they told me when I sojourned in law school that they changed it to JD, maybe in the 60's**, so give it the sound of the same status as MD or PhD..
**I think JD may go back much longer in some schools, and LLB might have lasted longer in others. Not sure.
I didn't know that a British doctor was a MBBS.
My father was a DDS, a Doctor of Dental Surgery, I guess because he graduated from the Department of Dental Surgery of the University of Pittsburgh in 1915. I think it took him 3 years, which I believe was (much?) more training than many others got who practiced dentistry. (I still have his "Opium, Coca Leaves, Marihuana, etc." permit.)

Mark D wrote:

But they won't change as long as you (and others) keep on patronizing the stores.
Mark D wrote:

Hang on Mark, things may get better at your HD in the future. The three HDs I useshop at here around Red Sox Country, depending on where I happen to be at the time, have at least a half dozen "self checkout" stations and one "Associate" located there to give shoppers a hand with stuff too large to slide over the scanner stations or other checkout problems.
I held off trying them for a few months, then used one when the lines at the open regular checkouts were atrociously long. I was pleasantly satisfied to see how easy and fast it was. Wot the hay, If I'm going to be my own clerk in a "self service" store, I might as well take it all the way.
Jeff (Who remembers when department stores all had "floorwalkers".)
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
The other day I was looking a light bulbs, the guy dropped a box and I pulled out a bulb off a display that was broke, He would not respond to my stating this and when I found A 4 pack of floodlights misspriced he ignored me. Oh well we all have bad days it happens everywhere.. Get some doughnuts for the Free coffee.
m Ransley wrote:

Yours has free coffee?

m Ransley ( snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net) said...

Sometimes this "I couldn't care less" attitude works to the customer's benefit. I was once with someone who was purchasing about 50' of 10/3 cable for a clothes dryer. The person cutting it must have wrote the SKU code for 18/3 speaker wire or something that is about one-tenth the price.
When the cashier entered it and it came up for something like eight bucks, we questioned it and she replied, "Oh well, that's what it says".
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam