Hi-Lift jack stuck on the upstroke

I bought a Hi-Lift jack about a month ago and it seems to be f*cked already after only light use. It sticks badly when raising the handle. I can't see any obvious reason why it's binding, might be the pin holding the handle, but I don't think so.

If I can find the bill I guess I'll replace it. But I'm wondering what other peoples experiences have been? I don't think a new one will last much better.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Been along time, but I recall mine binding. Two springs with pins??? I had to manipulate the springs to engage and disengage the pins. PITA.

One got me out of numerous mud holes :-)

-- Oren

Oren

I have used many of them. They need to be oiled where the springs and pins do the work. If you leave them outdoors, rust builds up. Oil the thing and it will likely work fine. Of course there could be something broken. They sell repair kits, which are the springs and pins, but if you just bought it, and oil dont help, return it for a replacement. Be sure to store it indoors though.

Andy

Reply to
andy

A real Hi-Lift, or a Chinese knock off? If it's a knock off you're probably SOL. For a real Hi-Lift you have to keep the climbing pins clean and lubed, but tons of people abuse the heck out of those jacks without any problems. You can get a rebuild kit for like $10-12 at places like Tractor Supply. Check the Hi-Lift site

for more info and warrantee stuff.

Reply to
Pete C.

I have 3 of them. One inherited and two bought new. They do require lubrication and keep them dry.

There are 4 points to check. Two of them are the climbing pins themselves that should snap in and out smartly when there is no load on the jack. The other two are the springs which retract the pins. Lay the tool on its side and manipulate the action with a screwdriver to see what's sticking.

The switch that releases the jack to lower or engages to lift is very stiff. Keep a short wood stick available to hit it with. Even with lubrication, it can be a bear to release.

One caution: if there is less than 150# on the jack and the action is released, it will drop like a stone rather than ratcheting down. Don't let anything fall on you.

I changed out the p>I bought a Hi-Lift jack about a month ago and it seems to be f*cked already

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

Thanks for the detailed checklist Tom.

I've never had much trouble releasing the 'lift', but setting it again can be a challenge.

I'm wondering if I bent one of the climbing pins; first thing to check.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Reply to
Tom O'Connor

Since this is a new unit, I would bet that there might be a burr on the cast cage that holds the pins and springs. The springs are held in place by two roll pins which can be easily removed with the right sized pin punch without mushrooming the pin. Before you tinker too much, prior advice to return/exchange it is well said.

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

As one last resort; look at the business end of the pin for a burr .. round it off on a grinder a bit - just a minor bevel. Oil as mentioned.

Or the kit.. Is this a real Hi-Lift jack?

-- Oren

Oren

My (real) Hi-Lift jack is still on the factory lube and has yet to give me any trouble. I used it once to move a 40' shipping container (empty and close to 10,000# tare wt.) about 60' over rough terrain and then level it on concrete blocks (solid), so it's seen some heavy use.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Hmmm, Hi-Lift jacks are manufactured here in my hometown of Bloomfield, Indiana. The owners live right behind me.

Reply to
Bruce

Great, but that dont help the poster.

I have several Hi-Lift jacks. They are almost a MUST on farms. But they can be a pain in the ass, and they ARE most of the time. The pins need to be oiled on a regular basis. After that, you fight with them repeatedly, and sometimes they actually work.....

I try to use a bottle or floor jack whenever I can, instead of a Hi Lift.

Reply to
Paintedcow

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 15:13:25 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote in

+1