Help - Wheelchair impossible on my rugs.

Page 1 of 2

I suppose my problem should have been expected, but it surprised me. I have very plush rugs in my dining, living, and bed rooms. My has come up with leg blood clots, and she requires a wheelchair to provide her mobility to and from those rooms. Kitchen and family room are fine what with their wood flooring. But the wheels simply get hung up in the knap of the rugs. Not only that - the wheelchair leaves unsightly ruts in the rugs.
Can anyone suggest a solution? I wonder what I might lay on the run temporarily. Some sort of runner?
I am stuck and frustrated. Be nice. Duke

Carpet barber?
nb

If the wheelchair is permanent, get rid of the rugs and put in hardwood. If temporary, sheets of plywood would help. You'd have a bump to negotiate though.

Probably tax-deductible, too, as it's a cost incurred in making the home wheelchair-accessible, same as installing ramps at the entrances. Hardwood flooring isn't cheap; if affordability is a problem, there may be government or private grants available as well.
snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote:

Concourse Clear Vinyl Heavy Traffic Runner from:
http://www.aleco.com/floorprotection/fp-r-clear.html
Scroll to where you see it on the web page and a version is recommended for plush carpet. You may find a local dealer. Is that nice enough? *snicker*
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote in

Remove the rugs.

Perhaps you can pull up the rugs, and store them for now?
If this person will be with you for a while, might consider having the rugs removed. A couple folks have suggested runners. I'd think that the phone book yellow pages under wheel chairs or carpets might provide some one who has dealt with this.
I'd expect runners to have a problem of being higher than the carpet. Hard to get from floor up to runners, or down. Well, down is easier.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Not really. Those clear plastic runners have a tapered edge and if the pile on the carpeting is indeed as deep as the OP says, they will sink in flush and not cause any problems whatsoever.

Only problem, considering age, is that someone walking might trip on the edge.
On Apr 22, 5:31am, snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote:

Cannot help you with the rugs but have more than a passing familiarity with blood clots. What's her problem and what are you doing about it?

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses all.
I have emailed the web site suggested to see their prices.
The rug is brand new, but I guess I could pull part of it up by having a pro cut it. Hate to though.
The wheel chair is for my wife. We are both over 80 seniors.
Her clots just occurred a few weeks ago, She had full knee replacement surgery in November. Have to feel there is a relationship 'tween that and the clots. She is under doctor care from both family doc and her surgeon. She is taking Cumedin (?spelling?). She is under immense pain and can't walk hardly at all. Poor gal is really struggling simply moving around.
Life is getting tough around here, Duke
On 4/22/2010 8:05 AM, snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote:

Clots are a common problem with knee replacement surgery. Since the clots are new the coumadin should resolve them. I had a more serious clotting problem and had to have them surgically removed. I've been on coumadin 10 years and also have a clot filter.
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:16:15 -0400, Frank

wow!
Good luck with your problem. My wife's clots (two supposedly) are in back of leg, behind the replaced knee (which is just fine in and of itself). They are very painful, and have remained so for three weeks now. The docs are monitoring the coumadin by reading her blood-work each week, Her dosage has been changed twice now.
God bless.
Duke
A power scooter will not be held back by a rug. Also, the wheels are wider and will not leave ruts.
Call around. They are easier to move around in. (I have one)
On 4/22/2010 8:26 AM, snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote:

I'm fine. Just getting ready for my daily 4 mile walk. My clot problem resulted in clots clogging up pulmonary artery in lungs and removal involved bypass type surgery to remove them. That was 10 years ago when I was 60. My clot time is checked every 8 weeks. Clot filter may have not been needed. It's in the inferior vena cava, the main vein that your legs dumps into before the heart. It's like an umbrella with no fabric and clots will get entangled and dissolve before they can reach heart and get caught in lungs.
As for carpet, I've got mats made for office chairs on rugs where I have computers.
Good luck to you and your wife.

Whoa, there's a clot filter? I'll have to investigate that and incorporate it into my website. Thanks.
Steve
On 4/22/2010 12:07 PM, Steve B wrote:

Yes. Google it up. Filter is inserted in groin and deployed in inferior vena cava just below where kidneys dump in. It opens like an umbrella and has little feet to secure it to the vein wall. The ribs are twisted and if a clot leaves the leg it gets tangled in the filter where it gradually dissolves. Massive clotting could clog it up but if this happens and clots reach your lungs, you're a goner. Pulmonary emboli are a major cause of death.
I thought it was permanent but they can remove it. Filter would not help with clots that form in the heart. I guess they could put filters in other veins.
Frank wrote:

GET YOUR FILTERS CHANGED! THIS WEEK ONLY! $19,000.95 WITH COUPON!
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote:

If just the two of you, it might be simpler to set up the family room with a bed and a bedside commode for the time being. Blood clots are not generally a long-term problem. Seems that Medicare would cover rental of bed, w/c, commode, walker and possibly home nursing visits. Need to be mindful that she can move about safely and not risk falls by trying to use part of the house that isn't functionally suitable for her at present. I would check with a medical equipment shop to see what you can find out about rental and Medicare help. Physician's office should also be a good resource for info. Good luck, hope it is a quick recovery. Let us know :o)