Throw Rugs over Sealed Saltillo Tile

Hiya Folks, I've recently sealed around 1300 sq. ft. of saltillo tile with around 5 coats of Roval 1044 sealer (water based sealer). When I purchased the sealer, the guys at the tile place warned that putting rugs down with certain pads would be a problem. They said particularly the rubbery type pads would end up leaving impressions in the sealer (literally would sink into the sealer, stick, etc...). I've heard this is a problem from other people as well but no one seems to be able to recommend a particular pad that will work. We're looking to put a few throw rugs down in key locations (kitchen sink area, stove area, etc...) and a couple area rugs (6x9, 8x10) but just not sure what sort of pad to look for. Any ideas? Thanks! jlc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I might add, I've talked with Roval and they have seen the problem but had no recommendations in terms of what sort of pad to use. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I would skip the pads altogether, unnecessary and troublesome

Reply to
cowboy

On our saltillo tile floors we use PVC non-slip pads, sold at Bed Bath & Beyond and other places, for small rugs, and a thicker rubber pad, from an independent rug dealer, for larger rugs. We've had no problems with these pads. We were warned off the cheaper very open weave sort-of-orangy pads (sorry, can't describe them better as I don't recall off hand what material they are). This was a general recommendation from realtors, our home inspector, and neighbors. The advice seemed to be sealer brand independent, more related to saltillo in general and radiant floor heat, but FWIW we use Aqua Mix. HTH.

Reply to
Luke

Hardly unnecessary unless you like visits to the hospital room! Our rugs slide all over the place and need the pad to prevent that. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson