Cox Latest To Dump Free Usenet Access

"Cox Communications is the latest carrier to inform their customers they're ditching free Usenet access as of June 30. From an e-mail to subscribers:"

Fiddley Dee :-/

Reply to
Oren

ehh...never fear:

JimT

Mission accomplished..

Reply to
Oren

Dave Garrett

AND ???

So stop using your ISP to access newsgroups and do it via Google Groups...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

"Evan" wrote

Google Groups is horrid. Just get a good news service. Giganews, Eternal-September, etc. Low coast or free depending on your needs.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So? Dump Cox. There is no requirement that the folks who provide the wire have to also be your ISP. In our case, Comcast provides internet connection and Earthlink is our ISP. Earthlink provides, in turn, Giganews. Free.

Reply to
HeyBub

My old ISP faced the same problem as Cox, with few subscribers who used usenet, but high equipment costs for carrying usenet. They solved it by giving us a low level subscription to one of the independent usenet services, free, and allowing us to upgrade to a higher level at our own cost if we needed more capacity. Cox instead is just degrading their service, but with no concurrent decrease in their rather high fees. Greed knows no bounds.

I'll miss them. The only thing delaying my departure is the prospect of having to get a new email address, since after a few years, your email address is spread all over and its a hassle having to go everywhere and change it.

Reply to
Not

That's why it's good to have your own domain. Address never changes no matter who hosts it.

For a few dollars a year, you can register your own domain name and have a permanent email address no matter how many times you switch ISP's. It's very easy to set up.

Try godaddy.com

When you register a domain name with them, I'm pretty sure they give you a few email account mailboxes free with the name. It's pretty easy to set it up.

Reply to
salty

"HeyBub" wrote in news:HqadnWEXXPPeqk3WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Many locations have monopolies. Subscribers are screwed.

Reply to
ktos

Comcast has no market footprint in Nevada and looking at their package prices, they cost the same as Cox.

Cox has a strangle hold in NV.

Reply to
Oren

Your personal info is divulged if you do this. Not good. And you're paying for this disservice. Not good.

Reply to
mike

You can register a domain name through a "privacy" screen for a few dollars more. If someone looks up who owns the domain name, they get the name of the "privacy" company.

Reply to
salty

Jeeezz no! Just go to any of the other free newsgroup servers all over the place. The 'net is about the worst way there is to view newsgroups.

TWayne

Reply to
Twayne

Yeah, but with Comcast you can use Earthlink as your ISP and with Earthlink you get Giganews free.

Reply to
HeyBub

You really are joking, right?!

If I HAD to use Google for reading newsgroups, I would pull the power cord.....

Reply to
Oren

After Attorney General Cuomo got RoadRunner and Verizon to drop their newsgroups, most of the other large ISPs have used that as an excuse to remove their newsgroup service.

Dedicated Usenet services do a better job of providing newsgroups than ISPs, and folks have already mentioned a few free & low cost options in this thread.

I use a paid service (NewsGuy) and with their current special if you buy any 1,

3, 6 or 12 month newsgroup account they will double your access time for free.

As an example if you get their 12 month Mini account for $19.95 (3GB month) you'll get another 12 months free. That's 24 months of newsgroup access for the cost of 12 months, which works out to about 83 cents a month. You can do other types of accounts and service lengths, so not limited to the Mini or 12 months.

Their accounts include NNTP & Web access, newsgroup search engine, free SSL encryption, unused capacity rolls over, text & binary groups, etc.

~R

Reply to
Randall

Absolutely! Though I use GG from work because NNTP access is blocked. I'm even thinking about Go To My PC to access the Usenet via my home system. It's that bad.

Reply to
krw

Wanna trade? I have DSL and satellite TV and they both suck. I was far happier sending buckets of money to the crooks at Adelphia.

Reply to
krw