Help me buy a circular saw

They don't have them in any of the Home Despots or Lowe's around me, just the cheap plasticky looking ones. I guess people around here must not care about durable tools?

I guess I'm not surprised, I'll have to just find a better store. Seems to be very common that I get frustrated because I refuse to buy cheap, disposable, consumer-grade stuff yet that's all the stores are filled with. Don't people realize that if you buy a *good* tool that will last

50 years the extra cost pays for itself not only in money but in time?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Makita makes the best and most versatile circular saw you can buy.

25 years later with daily use and it still cuts straight. it is the only saw I would cut with for sawing over my head. they even have lights on the newer models.

only had to replace the cord (caused by lowering it down from the staging)

Reply to
kitchens etc.

| >> Skill 77 you can't stop it they don't wear out. heavy-yes expensive -yes | >> but you never have to buy another one once you get use to the blade being | >> in front of your hand more it's much easier to cut. If you are having a | >> problem cutting try a strait edge. It is pretty hard to cut a table saw | >> cut free hand. | >>

| > Hmmm, | > I thought Skill is second tier brand. Never owned anything Skill. | | Skill makes a lot of junk tools but you won't get a better saw than a Skill | 77. |

they (skill) are ALL junk tools directed to home owners who use it monthly. Makita is by far the best circular saw ever made.

Reply to
kitchens etc.

black and decker / skil whats the difference?

Reply to
kitchens etc.

Dewalt tools are a joke I wouldn't buy those damn things for my grandkids to play with to make a bird house. they are most unreliable and made by B&D.............still crap and always was.

Reply to
kitchens etc.

that will just throw the saw dust in your face.

| Porter-cable makes a nice one. | | It's much easier to see the cut line because the motor is on the | opposite side of the saw compared to a "typical" circular saw.

like I said: that will just throw the saw dust in your face. it's kinda tough to see the line with the suit of armor you will be wearing to deflect the wood chips flying at you. Isn't the line guide in the front on all saws?

Reply to
kitchens etc.

| They don't have them in any of the Home Despots or Lowe's around me, | just the cheap plasticky looking ones. I guess people around here must | not care about durable tools?

it sounds like everyone in AHR dosn't care about durable tools. Dewalt, Skil, B&D, these are all toys for home owners to play with. what next Buy "Rigid" durable tools? another joke! besides everyone knows you never buy/get "quality" tools at H.D. or Lowes. plastic parts and made in china for a U.S. company.......figures!

| | I guess I'm not surprised, I'll have to just find a better store.

now you're talking. buy from a real tool center for quality tools

Seems | to be very common that I get frustrated because I refuse to buy cheap, | disposable, consumer-grade stuff yet that's all the stores are filled | with. Don't people realize that if you buy a *good* tool that will last | 50 years the extra cost pays for itself not only in money but in time? | | nate | | -- | replace "fly" with "com" to reply. |

kitchens etc.

I've never used a circular saw - possibly because, as a nurse, I took care of people who had :o) This is a really interesting thread because I am considering buying a table saw for small wood projects. Does Skil make a comparable table saw? I am not contemplating cutting 2x4's, and the main concerns would be (I expect) accuracy and control, safety and noise. Have to keep it in the condo, as there is no garage. Can arrange a disguise to keep it in the living room :o) My home has almost always had at least one project going on, so a little sawdust is not a major concern.

Reply to
Norminn

Pretty much *any* 25-year-old saw is better made than most new ones.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I was only addressing the two who misspelled it, but if it benefits you, that's good too.

Reply to
mm

Skil is now part of Bosch

B&D independent and holder of P-C, Delta amongst multitude of others...

Skil 77 still, afaict essentially unchanged and I see a lot of them w/ framing crews, far more here than anything else -- but everybody has their preferences and it seems like west coast/mountain/southwest far stronger for the worm-drive lefthand as compared to east coast/south....

For homeowner, many choices will be just fine. OP's problem as I and others noted, is far more likely actually blade than saw itself, whatever it is...

Reply to
dpb

You come across as an argumentative twerp. I suspect the tools I am using every day are probably older than you are. Why don't you try to help the people with questions rather than listen to yourself bleat?

Skil, Black & Decker, and Milwaukee have sure built a lot of things in this country. I believe strongly in buying American when and where I can get comparable quality and price. I will even pay a bit more.

It is some of you and yours buying Japanese and other "ese" tools, cars, and electronics that have moved this country into a service only economy. I grew up when American made really meant something. It still does in some areas, I wish it did in all. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ DanG A live Singing Valentine quartet, a sophisticated and elegant way to say I LOVE YOU! snipped-for-privacy@okchorale.org (local)

(national)

Reply to
DanG

It was of tremendous help for me. Without your help, I would have just wandered around aimlessly, never finding a good Skil saw. Every group needs a netnanny. Keep up the good work.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:59:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrotF:

I've had Skil s before. Lasted til one week after the warrant. My most recent one, the one I have been bitching about, was a Makita. What a POS.

I went out and bought a Milwaukee 6394-21. As soon as I started using it, it was like driving a Lexus after having driven a Neon. I couldn't NOT make it go a straight line!

Reply to
46erjoe

As with many other brands, many of the tool manufacturers have a whole range of products to suit a wide range of market niches in use and price. Saying you had "a Skil" or "a Makita" means essentially nothing w/o the specific model. "Buffalo" or "Chicago Pneumatic" otoh, implies something -- not that there's not a market niche for them as well, but it's pretty clear what that niche is and what one should expect.

Reply to
dpb

- - Consider getting a left blade model if you are right handed.

-

- that will just throw the saw dust in your face.

The PC has an adaptor that sends the saw dust in any direction the operator chooses.

- - It's much easier to see the cut line because the motor is on the

- - opposite side of the saw compared to a "typical" circular saw.

-Isn't the line guide in the front on all saws?

Look at the pictures of Norm at this site...the ones where he is doing the plunge cut and the gang cut. Notice how he is leaning over the saw to see his cut line. Now, picture the same cuts with the saw motor on the opposite side of the blade. Norm would not be leaning over the saw to see the cut line since his head would be on the same side of the saw as the blade.

DerbyDad03

Reply to
Rob Mills

face it nothing that has quality is made in America

plastic- China mechanical parts-Germany Appliances-Sweden/Germany Autos-Japan the list goes on and on

Americans look for the cheapest way to produce a product to make a higher profit while sacraficing quality. why not just call the USA, Mexico (PRETTY SOON THEY WILL BE)

so tell me Mr.DanG what is quality made in the damn UNITED STATES of Mexico today.|

Reply to
kitchens etc.

| >Pretty much *any* 25-year-old saw is better made than most new ones. | | | I've had Skil s before. Lasted til one week after the warrant. My most | recent one, the one I have been bitching about, was a Makita. What a | POS.

are you kiddin me Makita is owned by more contractors than any other brand of circular saws. light weight and versatile.

it is the FORD truck of saws.

| | I went out and bought a Milwaukee 6394-21. As soon as I started using | it, it was like driving a Lexus after having driven a Neon. I couldn't | NOT make it go a straight line!

I would hate to cut rafter tails all day with a Milwaukee or any worm drive saw. obviously you are only cutting at a table or bench height where you can put down that damn heavy saw after each cut.

Reply to
kitchens etc.

:46erjoe wrote: :> I'm so tired of electric circular saws wearing out! I need to buy one :> that will last. The biggest problem I have had over the years is not :> power, or failed motor, but the inability of the saw to go in a :> straight line. The blade wants to wander on its own, even if I build a :> jig and use a straight board as a guide. I attribute this to worn :> bearings, yes? Am I right in assuming that sealed roller bearings will :> be far superior to brass non-rollers? I'd like to buy a saw and never :> have to buy another for a long long time. Any hints, suggestions? :> Thanks. :Hmmm, :What saws did you have? Look at the commercial grade. Some has even :laser beam to help cut straight. Cheap ones doesn't even have bearings. :Some are gear driven. I am a lefty but cutting straight is not a big :deal. All my tools are DeWalt or Porter & Cable. :Good enough for home use.

When I researched I wound up buying a Porter Cable Saw Boss. It's small, light and well built and people said it's up to 90% of the stuff you do with a circle saw and is easier to use than the 7 1/4 inch saws. It's the only one I've ever had. Maybe I just don't know any better, but I'm happy so far. I think you are using your circle saws a whole lot more than I do, though.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant