circular saw (help, help)

hello my name is gena, i love working with wood, i make one of a kind items, very unique items actually, i love all my drills, i love all my tools, and they love me.

recently i purchased two circular saw's, i have 12 different hand saw,s that ive always,and only have used in the past. regarding the circular saw, well i read the instructions, and was terrified, for two months two beautiful craftsman circular saw's have and are still in their box's. The instructions, over an over spoke of the kick-back, how dangerous it is, how the kick-back can cut your head off, i am scared to death to use it.

Please tell me it ain't that bad, give me the simplicity, of the correct use, and how i am making a big deal out of nothing. My neighbor said that i am to little for the saw, i am 5'1 and 110, iam not to little, right? thank you.

Reply to
Gena Dahilig

I have a circular saw. I don't much like it. It doesn't like me either. I only use it to cut plywood panels and trim doors. I have no use for it otherwise. I am not a tiny girl like you, but I can handle it well enough. I don't feel its any more unsafe then my table saw, radial arm saw or mitre saw. Its just a handy thing to have around.

Leslie

Reply to
Leslie Gossett

Gena-

a circular saw can be dangerous. an underpowered and lightly built circular saw is in my opinion more dangerous than a heavy more powerful one. sears saws tend to be on the light, underpowered end of the spectrum. however, with some care it can be very handy and pretty safe.

Here are a couple of links to some reading matter on the subject:

you are feeling a bit intimidated by the noise and the whirling sharp blade, try this: set up your cut, with whatever guides and supports you will be using and go ahead with it- but with the blade removed from the saw. this will give you a feel for the noise level, how your balance will be when you are reaching the end of the cut, how long an extension cord you will be needing, and how the saw feels in your hand- all with no danger of cutting off your head. then, when you are sure you have the setup right, put the blade back on and make the cut for real. Bridger

Reply to
nospam

Just don't stand behind it. Stand along side so if the wood binds and it kicks back it won't get you.

Reply to
Frank J. Vitale