Has anyone made or considered a very low cost Underground Storm Shelter ? Need some advice.

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

that makes sense, but a) couldn't you patch the flaw and b) if it leaked, it wouldn't be a very comfortable bunker, would it?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Patched won't meet standards for septic tank, so you patch it and use it for a bunker.
Nate Nagel wrote:

Sitting in a soggy bunker is still preferable to being ballistically extruded through a chain link fence...
Pete C. wrote:

right, but if I lived somewhere where I felt I needed a bunker, I'd try to make it somewhat habitable.
Actually, what I would probably do is build the bunker right behind the house under a patio so it could be accessed from a door through the basement wall... then when not in use as a bunker it could be an office, workroom, emergency bedroom, whatever. that way it gets cleaned regularly, doesn't get musty, etc.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

In tornado alley we don't typically have basements (no frost line, high water table). In my case, I've got enough of a hill that I can bury a container behind the house and do a perimeter drain at the base with a drain sloped to come out down by my pond. Common around here are pre-fab mostly buried concrete bunkers, but they're small and I want a comfortable one I can proactively retreat to. The excuse to rent a big excavator is a plus too.
Pete C. wrote:

The difference between men and boys is the size of their toys!
Have fun.
Lou

And with the addition of a bullet proof door and a phone line, you've got what is more likely to be needed, "a safe room" to guard against a home invasion. Easier to get to in a hurry than a room buried in the back yard.
Tom G
Tom G wrote:

There was a home invasion up in Oklahoma late last year. The invader burst in with the dreaded "AK47" (AKM or SKS really) assault rifle... and was shot and killed by the occupants of the home. It of course didn't make the national media since it doesn't support the agenda of most of the media.
Pete C. wrote:

Heh! If you follow the national news (as is done on the tx.guns newsgroup or in NRA publications), you'll see at least one episode a week of the exact same thing that happened in Oklahoma.
Here's a defensive gun use from Tuesday:
http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story/Man-shot-mulitple-times-in-Winter-Haven/5k7AuDQdSU-HReNCQy8Vog.cspx
Here's a home invasion from yesterday where the perp was shot http://www.cbs12.com/news/says_4716951___article.html/smyth_home.html
Here's another from the week before: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/656107.html
Home invaders are shot with some regularity by the residents. Sadly, there are many more successful "kick and rob" events than there are those that are foiled by gunfire. This ratio may change as more and more folks embrace firearms. Remember the adage:
"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!"
And my personal motto: "If you don't know what it is, kill it." (which works equally well for both weeds in the yard and strangers in my bedroom)
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story/Man-shot-mulitple-times-in-Winter-Haven/5k7AuDQdSU-HReNCQy8Vog.cspx
LOL

Doesnt matter if i loose my life ; I know the Lord Jesus Christ in a personal way. I hope you know and love him too.
Snipped BS
This isn't alt.home.biblethumpin'morons, Fool

Do you have an underground basement?
If so I recall that some people will build a safe room in one corner using concrete block.
TMT
I didn't read all 53 replies, so I hope I'm not repeating anything.
For the first poster, don't forget air holes so you don't suffocate. Then again, that would defeat the waterproof aspect for which you ask.
For all posters, don't forget to tell others ahead of time what you have so they know to look for you when you can't get out after the storm because of the car that was blown onto your shelter door.