Has anyone made any Scottish or Northumbrian smallpipes?

I've made/restored a range of instruments and am wondering now about either making an "English" layout concertina or some smallpipes ... currently the smallpipes are top of the list so I'm starting a search for info. I want to make a serious instrument (rather than one based in bits of plastic pipe) and would welcome any advice, or info about makers offering courses.

Reply to
nospam

Google "Northumbrian Small Pipe Makers" and "Scottish...".

Lots of links there.

Reply to
TomSawer

Yup, Google is always my first port of call but I only found one course offering so I wondered if there was anyone here with any practical experience or more info.

Reply to
nospam

Unfortunately the uk.music.folk newsgroup seems pretty much defunct, otherwise you could have tried there. It's possible that someone on Mudcat (mudcat.org) may have some ideas.

Otherwise, you could try asking some players via their contact pages. When I met Kathryn Tickell, many years ago, she was charming and gracious and I'm sure she'd be able to point you at one or more Northumbrian smallpipe makers - .

Alistair Anderson could probably point you at both Smallpipe and Concertina makers - .

Nick Odell may be along shortly with some ideas...

Reply to
mark.bluemel

I presume you found Mike Nelson's pages, with plans etc - ?

Reply to
mark.bluemel

Thanks Mark, I've met them both (Folkworks and elsewhere) but hadn't thought of asking them - I'm reluctant to add to the barrage of info requests that they must receive.

There are several makers on t'web but last night I found this:

... it looks excellent so all I need now is that most elusive of things, the round tuit.

Reply to
nospam

Many of us still look in on the group - it's worth a try.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Snap! :-)

Reply to
nospam

Kathryn Tickell

(goes slightly faint)

Mind you, I'd like the Wrigley Sisters to play at my wake.

Reply to
newshound

She was particularly gracious in that my question was not about her music but a Neville Brothers track she'd introduced on the radio some weeks before...

Reply to
mark.bluemel

I'm sure they'd both be happy to encourage a potential maker.

Reply to
mark.bluemel