Animal shelter advice

I was hoping you could give me some advice. I have noticed for sometime the re are many feral stray cats roaming around my area. My neighbour who lives a field away killed a cat with antifreeze. He is not a mentally well man. With this in mind, I was thinking of building a shelter for these cats to s ave them from my neighbour. Would it be cheaper buying a child's playhouse or building my own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Steph Wood

Feral cats are unlikely to use whatever you do for them. They are very independent, wary of human beings, and will have their own hideaways in a nice dry place in a barn or outbuilding somewhere.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Could they not stay with you under your bridge?

Reply to
ARW

Do you have a camera hidden? How do you know I am vertically challenged? Some maybe offended by your heightism's. We have feelings too, you know.

Reply to
Steph

here are many feral stray cats roaming around my area. My neighbour who liv es a field away killed a cat with antifreeze. He is not a mentally well man . With this in mind, I was thinking of building a shelter for these cats to save them from my neighbour. Would it be cheaper buying a child's playhous e or building my own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cost the bits up & see. Cheapest would be pallet wood. Not sure what preser vatives are & aren't safe to use though.

Would shelters not just inform the neighbour exactly where to go? Might be better to get a rehoming shelter involved. I'd also bring the RSPCA upto sp eed if they're not already. They might be able to warn him off repeating th e trick.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Unless you feed them there regularly, do you want to do that? They will still wander widely, especially the toms.

Reply to
newshound

Be very careful as if you take ownership of them and they cause a problem its you they will be shouting at. Does anyone collect these cats and either rehome the well ones or send them to pussy heaven?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

there are many feral stray cats roaming around my area. My neighbour who l ives a field away killed a cat with antifreeze. He is not a mentally well m an. With this in mind, I was thinking of building a shelter for these cats to save them from my neighbour. Would it be cheaper buying a child's playho use or building my own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ervatives are & aren't safe to use though.

e better to get a rehoming shelter involved. I'd also bring the RSPCA upto speed if they're not already. They might be able to warn him off repeating the trick.

Thank you for your advice. There are two houses where I live in the country side, my neighbours and mine. Unfortunately, many people seem to dump their unwanted pets around our area. My neighbour Steve hates cats so I hate the fact if he gets hold of the strays he may kill them. This way it at last t hey will have somewhere to stay instead of wandering onto his grounds.

Reply to
Steph

[...]

Right. Well, I'd build them as 4 houses in 1 unit rather than singles. Less than 4x the wood & time for a 4 shelter unit. And I'd scatter the units wi dely rather than congregate them to minimise territory fights.

Some cats will be familiar with catflaps. Simple flaps on some of the units would be a real help with staying warm in winter, which is a critical issu e for cats.

Beware of WBP plywood being sold that isn't WBP, and delaminates rapidly in rain. If you use ply, shuttering ply is probably the grade to go for.

If you build a big shelter near your house it should be possible to get PDS A or RSPCA vet treatment for health problems, treat for fleas to some exten t and clean the shelter. I expect not all cats would use it. PDSA would pro bably neuter when needed too, another core issue.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr