Hardware Floor Surface Preparation

I would like to put hardwood flooring down in my kitchen. Wife wants sold oak planks to match the other rooms. Seems straight forward enough but I am not sure if I need to do something to the exisintg floor first before I put the hardwood floor down. The floor is plywood with glued on vinyl tiles. I put 1/4 plywood on top of the tiles and put new vinyl tiles down. Can I just go overtop of the whole mess? Or do I need to pull it all up (This would be very hard considering I screwed down the 1/4 inch plywood!)? Thanks for any recommendations.
<< The floor is plywood with glued on vinyl tiles. I put 1/4 plywood on top of the tiles and put new vinyl tiles down. Can I just go overtop of the whole mess? >>
Since you don't work to a very high standard, go ahead and do it the easy way. Don't expect the new floor to be very durable, though, since the substrate is not very rigid. At least it should be very quiet. HTH
Joe
Are you going to build stairs or a ramp to get up into the kitchen?
Seriously, you should get rid of all the old flooring and make sure you have a very solid subflooring.
As to oak, I recall that when they built homes with wood flooring, they used oak everywhere but in the bathrooms and kitchens. Bathrooms were almost always tiled; kitchens were often wood, but it was some type other than oak, and I can't remember what it was. I suspect oak flooring did not stand up well to the type of spills that are common in kitchens. Perhaps some of the newer finishes have overcome this weakness. Personally, when I win the lottery and redo our kitchen, I am going to try and talk my wife into cork flooring. We put it in our bathroom and it has held up quite well.
Tim Bacon wrote:

there.