Floor trap door hardware???

Have new hardwood floor going in...access to crawl space in closet is thru a opening in the floor as was impractical to build in other entry and there's very little likelihood of this area needing access anyway--no plumbing, wiring, etc.
Q? It would be kewl to have somthing like a lever or handle release with a spring load or something similar to raise one end for access when needed so don't have to put a set of protruding handles in the floor. It is back in a closet out of traffic area, but still would be better to be flush.
Anybody got ideas for purpose? I've not found anything yet truly outstanding...

Crawl space can be damp & hardware prone to rusting .. ? Without knowing the size / weight ..
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware/page.aspx?pF566&cat=3,41305,45958&ap=1
perhaps gate spring(s) combined with a hidden <magnetic ? > latch .. ?
An attractive recessed handle is another idea .. but might be a dust collector ..
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?pV237&cat=3,41427,41377
John T.
On 9/19/2019 1:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

The recessed chest handle is one idea had...
This is only in between 16" joist spacing width and little over 2-ft long so is just big enough to manage to get through if one's not too big...with just the framed flooring and backer it doesn't weigh 10 lb probably.
Area is dry enough I don't expect much moisture trouble...

For something that size & seldom used - I wouldn't even bother with hinges, let alone springs & latches. I'd just have it lift out, with a recessed handle. John T.
On 9/20/2019 5:40 AM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I was mostly looking for the way to be able to get a hold of it to lift out without that being something that would be too much of either trip over or a big collector of dirt...hinges are, indeed, more than needed.
A spring-loaded catch that would raise the lip enough to get a grasp might work if it didn't release every time just by stepping on the panel.

On 9/20/2019 9:26 AM, dpb wrote:

Just order one (or two) of these and your problem is solved.
<https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/Solid-Brass-Flush-Pull?utm_source=froog&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=gdf&partner=froog&CAWELAID 0035490000010216&gclid=CjwKCAjw8ZHsBRA6EiwA7hw_sW-xxUza7HudYkKeDDZJPXbDtO3C7vuQ0t701W6l4NI97cpibo_YrxoCy8cQAvD_BwE>
or to make it easy: http://tinyurl.com/y5wqdnoa
If you trip over this in your application, you have much bigger problems than accessing that crawl space. LOL! ;)

Or to make it easy, and descriptive: <https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/Solid-Brass-Flush-Pull
You can almost always trim off any query parameters (everything after the first question mark symbol).
Ther are large versions of that flush ring available specifically for trap doors.
On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 12:12:30 PM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

is

try

elease

r.

uly

05,45958&ap=1

27,41377

I wouldn't even bother

? handle.

l.

=froog&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=gdf&partner=froog&CAWELAID0 035490000010216&gclid=CjwKCAjw8ZHsBRA6EiwA7hw_sW-xxUza7HudYkKeDDZJPXbDtO3 C7vuQ0t701W6l4NI97cpibo_YrxoCy8cQAvD_BwE>

No trip hazard, but it is a "collector of dirt", something dpb wants to avo id.
Think flat, just like the floor. No crevice, divot or indentation.
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 14:17:47 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

How about a strong magnet hang it in the closet, put a piece of steel in the trap door.

Ha ! great minds think alike ! < fools seldom differ >
I was just now looking-up strong magnets - they make them to lift a few hundred pounds - for salvaging stuff from rivers & lakes .. but they don't seem to have any "release" mechanism ..
just one example :
http://tinyurl.com/yy55s2az
Not sure what thickness of flooring it would lift 10 - 20 pounds through ? Easy to experiment on scrap wood pieces .. It would allow the hidey-hole to remain invisible .. .. to the narcs :-) but not their dogs ... John T.
On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 6:01:04 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Or a switchable magnet, where the switch is also the handle.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 18:03:30 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Might be fancier than you want to get but lots of newer cars have electric powered hatch lifters. Kick your foot at it a couple of times and the hatch opens, kick again and it closes. The lifters and sensors you should be able to get for a reasonable price at a junk yard. The logic to put them together I don't know about.
On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 7:38:07 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:

Where would he mount the bumper? ;-)
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 18:03:30 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I had thought a little about magnets as one alternative...can always counterbore to create thinner location. Was trying to figure out a clever mechanism that could move opposing poles in line to "pop up" the one end...
Many of examples on the video somebody posted link to use that kind of lifting mechanism. This is small enough the mechanism would probably cover more of the opening than can spare.
Dunno about where or when you've last tried to price something from a salvage yard but my experiences recently trying that route are they're more expensive than NAPA replacements and almost impossible to actually find what one's looking for besides.
On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 8:36:47 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

OK, modify this idea as required...
Plug an electromagnet into a smart plug and have it hold down a lightly spring-loaded door. Maybe even just a piece of foam weather stripping. Just enough so that when it releases, you can get your fingers in a rabbet, if not under the door itself.
When you say "Alexa, door off" the smart plug will turn off and the magnet will release the door. Pop! To close, say "Alexa, door on" and then press the door closed to engage the magnet.
On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 8:50:19 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

P.S. If you don't have an Alexa or something similar, there are smart plugs that run off phone apps or even a physical remote.
I use something like this for my Christmas tree and the Christmas lights in various rooms.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I like!
But instead of just releasing the latch, why not go all the way and make the door self opening? Add some smoke and music for effect. Maybe even have it open to a command like "Mr. Smith, I need you." (For those of you who ever watched that short-lived Dr. Who spinoff, the Sarah Jane Adventures.)
Puckdropper

You could cut the edge at an angle leave a small gap and use a monkey paw to lift it. That would be a kiss approach.
On 9/20/2019 4:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[SNIP]

If it's gonna be that big a problem, perhaps you might recommend that he go to Area 51 and see if he can find an anti-gravity device.
His is in a closet for god's sake. In a previous post, I said that I installed a flush trap door in a laundry room with one of these to lift the door. The trap door is in an area where we kick off our shoes and boots. Nobody has ever tripped on it in the more than 40 years it's been in place.
Occasionally some dirt or grit DOES get into the lift ring. There is this miracle tool called a vacuum cleaner that solves the "problem."
Just a guess, but I suspect that the OP may have one at his home and that it would probably work in the closet as well as it does out in the open. ;)
On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 10:56:51 PM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

used wrote:

t is

entry

lb

? I wouldn't even bother

  handle.

ft

d.

nel.

rce=froog&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=gdf&partner=froog&CAWELAID120035490000010216&gclid=CjwKCAjw8ZHsBRA6EiwA7hw_sW-xxUza7HudYkKeDDZJPXbD tO3C7vuQ0t701W6l4NI97cpibo_YrxoCy8cQAvD_BwE>

ms

avoid.

If you know anything about dpb, you know that he is way smart enough to know that a recessed handle is an easy solution. He didn't need our help with that or any links to sources. Heck, in the time since he made his original post he could have *made* a handle.
He's not looking for a simple solution, he's looking for an ingenious solution. When a magnet was suggested, he said that that was something he had considered. Do you think he considered a magnet and recessed plate because he had never heard of a handle?
He is specifically asking for suggestions that don't collect dirt and a recessed handle does not meet that requirement.