Question about floor levelling preparation and finishing

Hi

I have a solid floor in my kitchen that used to have vinyl tile cover. Thes e tiles have been removed and the floor is uneven so levelling compound is going to be used. Can the top surface of the existing floor be removed, or at least the "high points", before the compound is "poured"? Typically how thick is the compound flooring that results? Can the flooring compound be p ainted rather than laying tiles?

Thanks,

Clive

Reply to
clive.r.long

Hi,

Reply from a person who did all this. My kitchen floor had 1.5" of variance, mostly in high spots.

Yes - but you will not like it, unless your hose is empty.

I used a tungsten tipped floor grinder - looks like an old fashioned lawn mower with a big electric motor.

Even couple to an industrial vacuum, with the windows opened, it looked like the house was on fire, such were the clouds of dust belching out the windows.

I had taped up the doors into the room and the dust still got everywhere. It works but it is not fun.

If you have a few (1-2 sq ft) of high points, use a scutch comb chisel in an SDS to shave the tops off.

before the

The best one on the market, IMO, F Ball Stopgap 300, can go to 15mm - or

20mm if mixed with granite chippings. That's one pour mind. You can fill out hollows and pour more the next day and build it up that way.

But the final layer needs to be poured in one go and you have 20-25 mins to get it right. It will self level if you follow the instructions.

So for a 3mm topping on a 20m2 kitchen I needed to mix 5 bags in one go

- 3 in one mega bucket and 2 in another with SWMBO's help and a plasterers power mixer.

But the end result was excellent - the whole floor had an error of 2mm.

Can the flooring compound be painted rather than laying

Yes and no.

Stopgap 300 is described as "not a wear layer" which means what it says. It will not degrade with being walked on, but I suspect washing machines will grind into it eventually.

You could paint it - but it will look like B&Qs floor.

Tiles would be better - or just vinyl.

Reply to
Tim Watts