self levelling floor liquid

Hi All

Am about to level my kitchen floor ready for laying laminate flooring.

I am about to use self levelling compound/liquid (it's only a small dip,

4mm, area 16" sq2).

I am going to pour it onto our exisiting floor tiles (big ugly terracota), the q's are -

  1. Do I need to score the tiles for some sort of fix
  2. Can anyone recommend a product/brand for this
  3. Are there any other special considerations e.g. water proofing, membrane?

Thanks for any responses.

Matt

Reply to
MattP

Wickes levelling stuff is good and we didn't make any special preparations for it except to remove the vinyl tiles that were down.

Just one piece of advice - add the right amount of water. Someone (not me!) added too much on our first go because "That doesn't sound enough - I'll stick a bit more in", and it looked like a swamp the next morning. I got some more and mixed it properly and it set fine - nice and smooth. Pour it on, spread it out, job's a good 'un.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I made that mistake with our dining room floor! What I am curious about in respect of removing vinyl tiles prior to screeding is how important is it to remove traces of the bitumin-like adhesive from a concrete surface. I had the devil of a job with the dining room, making only a

50/50 job of it with a flamethrower and scraper.

John

Reply to
JT1uk

When a job eventually makes you consider setting light to the house because it'd be easier, it's time to just go for it, in my opinion. Removing floor tile glue/bitumen is one of those jobs. Nothing untoward has happened in the 5 years since I put the levelling compound down and the ceramic tiles we laid over it haven't shown any signs of movement.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I used Evostick, B&Q own brand and Wickes and the Wickes was the worst of the lot and will have to come back up eventually... :-(

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.