Preparation for Tile on Concrete Basement floor

hi all,

i am beginning work on tiling a basement floor, in an area of about 6' by 6'. the area is a bathroom, the drains are not cut out yet so i am waiting for the plumber to finish that up then i can start the tile. the plumber is due to show up in the next couple of weeks.

here is my question. i have read several online sources, and they warn against installing tile in several conditions, 1. moist basements, 2. over concrete slabs with cracks, and 3. without proper preparation. I dont have a moist basement in this area, or at all, and there are no cracks at all in the floor in this area to worry about. The house was built in about 1990, so all concrete has finally settled i beleive. So to summarize, I am mainly concerned with correct preparation to maximize adhesion. The concrete surface is not shiny, although it is somewhat smooth.

What is the best way to prepare this area for tile? If I sand, or use muratic acid, or grind off the top surface of the concrete, could i then use regular tile mortar for securing the tiles to the floor?

Thanks, Fish

Reply to
fish

You shouldn't need any preparation unless the concrete is dirty or - especially - oily.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Reply to
fish

It sounds like a perfect situation for a thinset install. If there is concern about cracks, Google for Ditra isolation sheet.

If the plumber is providing a floor drain, make sure he knows the approximate height of tile and both of you predetermine the amount of slope to drain, if any. If it is your first ceramic tile experience avoid the slope to drain.

DanG

Thanks. There may be no drain since the bathroom is right next to the sump pump area. Do you recommend a drain in this bathroom?

Fish

Reply to
fish