HarborFreight - am I just unlucky?

Page 4 of 4
I keep on being tempted by the cheap prices at Harborfreight that allow me to indulge in tools that I never would be able to justify otherwise. CY: Me, too.
If they arrive in good condition, I have found them to work satisfactorily for my type of DIY projects (despite the warnings others have about quality). CY: The ones I found inadequate were Pittsburgh brand flare wrenches. Useless.
My problem, however, has been that the items are typically so poorly packed that they arrive broken.
For example, (1) I had to order 3 compressors before I received one without a broken plastic motor casing. CY: Wow.
(2) I have now received 2 broken nailers in a row CY: Makes me wonder if they keep sending broken ones otu, and hope someoen will keep it?
(3) Twice my shipments of nails have arrived with the boxen open and the nails strewn all over the box.
(4) The boxes themselves are almost always poorly packed with heavy/rugged and light/delicate items mixed together in one large box, separated by only a few kernels of styrofoam. Often the box itself arrives ripped or damaged.
- Am I just having bad luck or have others experienced the same problem? CY: For me, the shipping has been good. I also have a local store.
- Has anyone succeeded in getting them to have better quality control? (with just about every order requiring some re-shipping of items it is hard to believe that they are saving money this way...) CY: At the local store, the boxes are often open, and you're never quite sure if the package is complete. Well, cheep is as cheep does.
Blueman,
You don't always get what you pay for, but you DON'T get what you don't pay for! (Unless you steal it). Junk is junk, quit wasting your money.
Stretch
i bought some items from them long time ago. no shipping problems except it took weeks ,and with the tax and surcharge ect i didnt feel i got a good deal for the junk they sell.. if you really want to know what somethings worth , look on ebay. lucas

Exactly the same problems. I only order stuff together that I want to have packed together. Luckily I have a local HF store. They'll usually match the catalog prices and have even been willing to special order.

Nope.
Most people probably don't complain about most of the problems. For example, I didn't complain about nails because they were still mostly there (and cheaper than the big box store). But I haven't ordered them again...
I simply won't order things I don't believe will arrive in functional condition.
sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
At least you got the stuff. I will never order from Harbor Freight on-line again. At the time of order, they didn't tell me the drill press I wanted was on back order. So a couple of weeks later when it didn't arrive, and I spent an hour on-line waiting for them to respond, they finally told me the truth.
Then they tried to put my order in again, assuming I would want to wait another couple of weeks ((and assuming it really was in-stock this time), but thank goodness I used one of those virtual number credit cards, and it had timed out. So they couldn't put my order in again, and make me wait for another couple of weeks.
After reading about the shipping/packaging problems, I'm so glad I didn't order anything like this to be shipped.
Understanding the limited quality, I will go to one of the stores to get one, i't only a 30 minute drive away. I replaced my 20 year old Craftsman belt-sander with a HarborFreight one, and it seems to work just fine. And they sent another set of brushes, so I'm thinking this unit may eat brushes.
Rock
On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:06:31 -0600, Sylvan Butler