HarborFreight - am I just unlucky?

I keep on being tempted by the cheap prices at Harborfreight that allow me to indulge in tools that I never would be able to justify otherwise.

If they arrive in good condition, I have found them to work satisfactorily for my type of DIY projects (despite the warnings others have about quality).

My problem, however, has been that the items are typically so poorly packed that they arrive broken.

For example, (1) I had to order 3 compressors before I received one without a broken plastic motor casing.

(2) I have now received 2 broken nailers in a row

(3) Twice my shipments of nails have arrived with the boxen open and the nails strewn all over the box.

(4) The boxes themselves are almost always poorly packed with heavy/rugged and light/delicate items mixed together in one large box, separated by only a few kernels of styrofoam. Often the box itself arrives ripped or damaged.

- Am I just having bad luck or have others experienced the same problem?

- Has anyone succeeded in getting them to have better quality control? (with just about every order requiring some re-shipping of items it is hard to believe that they are saving money this way...)

Reply to
blueman

Hi, UPS? That's typical of UPS. Once my friend was getting a vintage guitar amp(quite expensive) and they put a hole thru the box with fork lift puncturing speaker cone and cabinet grill. Major damage and the value of amp became almost zero. This kind of horror story aplenty. But here in Canada UPS is pretty decent. When I get something from U.S. I either use USPS air parcel or Purolator. So far haven't suffered anything lost or damaged. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I think it's a given that the WORST way to reward bad service is to keep doing business with a company. Why do you keep going back?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

On Mon, 23 May 2005 15:53:10 GMT, blueman scribbled this interesting note:

You know all those raw materials we send to China? Paper, Steel, etc.? What you (and I) buy at Harbor Freight is really all those raw materials sent back to us a finished goods and related packaging. They don't spend any extra to make sure the packaging is really top notch (or the finished goods either!:~) I suppose I'm lucky since there is a Harbor Freight store just a few miles from where we live so I've never had to order anything from the and have it shipped. Sounds like your story illustrates the need to only order certain kinds of items from the since the packaging is so insufficient.

For items like air compressors, you would really be better off buying a top notch compressor that you won't break or wear out. For the cost of two or three disposable pancake compressors you can buy far better equipment that is rebuildable and made in the US. We run Thomas compressors and have for more than twenty years. When the teflon rings wear out, we take them in, spend a hundred dollars, and get back a compressor that runs just as well as it did brand new. This kind of compressor is rated at 10,000 hours of use between service intervals, or 40 hours a week for five years! You pay more, but you get more in return.

Good luck with Harbor Freight. I'd imagine with the shipping costs figured in you could do better to buy better tools locally. Sure you'll still spend a little more, but you have the option of locally servicing those tools as well.

John Willis

I understand (and agree) with where you are coming from. Just that my wife already thinks I spend too much on tools and I can't beat the HarborFreight pricing. As a result I am willing to put up with somewhat worse service than "retail pricing" but I just was curious whether my experience is "par" or whether I have been more unlucky than most.

Reply to
blueman

The Hartford Courant recently had an article about labor in China. There are school aged girls living in dormitories at some places. The work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week and expect to get paid $100 a YEAR. Some are considered apprentices and don't get any pay for the first few months.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Wow, they EXPECT to get paid, eh?! That just shows you how bush-style democracy must be on the march.

Pretty soon, those of us in the US who have gotten laid off from those outsourced jobs, might also expect to make $100/yr too!

Edwin Pawlowski wrote: The work 12

months.

Reply to
Jim Conway

You can't expect "Quality Control" and "Harbor Freight" to be in the same sentence. Why do you think their tools are so cheap (price)? They skimp on the quality and quality control is non-existent. That being said, I do purchase a few things from them. Namely hand tools that I know will probably break but ones I use so infrequently, I can afford to not buy a long term product. Their power tools on the other hand, I won't touch. I've personally found anything to do with Chicago Electric to stay away from. I learned this after purchasing a drop light from them that burned out the second I plugged it in. Went through 3 of the damn things before one worked. Considering how complex a drop light is, I wouldn't trust them on a welder! Their pneumatics and Central Machinery has generally been ok for me. And their Pittsburgh hand tools have been ok. I am located near one of their stores however, so don't have to deal with the shipping fiasco's that you've experienced. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I'd say you just had a run of bad luck. I haven't bought all that much stuff from HF - a lathe, couple of tile saws, clamps, odds & ends - but have never had a problem with anything. Did have a missing accessory on the lathe order...called and they sent it promptly.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I pick up my tools at the local HF store. Never had a problem with packing or quality.

This whole issue boils down to the vast gulf between professionals who have to rely on quality tools to make their living vs. do-it-yourselfers who only occasionally need a specific tool and who are therefore not concerned with longevity.

I would still be using primitive hand tools if it were not for HF. Obviously, a lot of people agree with my approach because HF is doing a land-office business.

Reply to
Walter R.

Hi, I've been to China and traveled thru quite a few major cities. Being able to read, write, understand Chinese was a big help. And I know what you mean. I experienced it with my own eyes. And I am afraid of cheap tools. My life may be endangered when I use them. Specially power tool, I dare not buy those El Cheapos. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Time your purchases to coincide with things going on sale at Sears. Some of their stuff is ALSO made in Peoples' Dictatorship of China, like almost everything at Harbor Freight, but at least at Sears, they'll mindlessly accept almost anything in return because of their warranty.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hard to compare apples and oranges. US dollar amounts are unimportant; what *is* important is what can be purchased with the money.

Now, even in the PRC, $100 a year isn't a munificent sum but they have their bed and board, probably health care too, so the cash earned is walking around money.

As far as teenagers working long hours, hasn't been all that long since the same thing was also common in the US (still is here and there) and it won't be too long before it is uncommon in the PRC.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I keep on being tempted by the cheap prices at Harborfreight that allow me to indulge in tools that I never would be able to justify otherwise. CY: Me, too.

If they arrive in good condition, I have found them to work satisfactorily for my type of DIY projects (despite the warnings others have about quality). CY: The ones I found inadequate were Pittsburgh brand flare wrenches. Useless.

My problem, however, has been that the items are typically so poorly packed that they arrive broken.

For example, (1) I had to order 3 compressors before I received one without a broken plastic motor casing. CY: Wow.

(2) I have now received 2 broken nailers in a row CY: Makes me wonder if they keep sending broken ones otu, and hope someoen will keep it?

(3) Twice my shipments of nails have arrived with the boxen open and the nails strewn all over the box.

(4) The boxes themselves are almost always poorly packed with heavy/rugged and light/delicate items mixed together in one large box, separated by only a few kernels of styrofoam. Often the box itself arrives ripped or damaged.

- Am I just having bad luck or have others experienced the same problem? CY: For me, the shipping has been good. I also have a local store.

- Has anyone succeeded in getting them to have better quality control? (with just about every order requiring some re-shipping of items it is hard to believe that they are saving money this way...) CY: At the local store, the boxes are often open, and you're never quite sure if the package is complete. Well, cheep is as cheep does.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Good point. They probably just order from room service when hungry too.

One would hope so.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Why do you think the practice will be ending soon in the Peoples Dictatorship of China? The whole world knows it's happening, but nobody says a word about it.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hi, China is on the move, I mean moving forward. Dictatorship? Where? I thought U.S. has dictatorship right now, LOL. In 40 to 50 years China's econmy will be 3 times that of U.S. Next up following China is India. U.S. watch out. May get left behind. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Blueman,

You don't always get what you pay for, but you DON'T get what you don't pay for! (Unless you steal it). Junk is junk, quit wasting your money.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

What do you mean by "moving forward"? They have absolutely NO reason to change the way they do business, treat their employees, or hose their environment. They're being rewarded for doing things any way they damned well please, unless you think all the business we give them is some sort of punishment.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The Hartford Courant recently had an article about labor in China. There are school aged girls living in dormitories at some places. The work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week and expect to get paid $100 a YEAR. Some are considered apprentices and don't get any pay for the first few months. =========================== OUTSOURCING OF JOBS REACHES THE PRESIDENT

by Staff Reporter Melynda Jill

Washington DC - Congress today announced that the Office of President of the United States of America will be outsourced to overseas interests as of June 30th, the end of this fiscal year. he move is being made to save not only a significant portion of the President's $400K yearly salary, but also a record $521 Billion in deficit expenditures and related overhead.

"We believe this is a wise move financially. The cost savings should be significant," stated Congressman Thomas Reynolds (R-Wash). Reynolds, with the aid of the GAO (the General Accounting Office), has studied outsourcing of American jobs extensively. "We cannot expect to remain competitive on the world stage with the current level of cash outlay," Reynolds noted.

Preparations for the job move have been underway for some time. Sanji Gurvinder Singh of Indus Teleservices, Mumbai, India will be assuming the Office of President of the United States as of July 1. Mr. Singh was born in the United States while his parents were vacationing at Niagara Falls, thus making him eligible for the position. He will receive a salary of $320 (USD) a month but with no health coverage or other benefits. It is believed that Mr. Singh will be able to handle his job responsibilities without support staff. Due to the time difference between the US and India, he will be working primarily at night, when few offices of the US Government will be open.

"Working nights will allow me to keep my day job at the American Express call center," stated Mr. Singh in an exclusive interview.

"I am excited about this position. I always hoped I would be President someday."

A Congressional Spokesperson noted that while Mr. Singh may not be fully aware of all the issues involved in the office of President, this should not be a problem. Mr. Singh will rely upon a script tree that will enable him to respond effectively to most topics of concern. Using this tree, he can address common concerns without having to understand the underlying issues at all. "We know these scripting tools work," stated the Spokesperson. "Mr. Bush has used them successfully for years."

Mr. Bush will receive health overage, expenses, and salary until his final day of employment. Following a two week waiting period, he will be eligible for $240 dollars a week unemployment for 13 weeks. Unfortunately he will not be eligible for Medicaid as his unemployment benefits will exceed the allowed limit.

Mr. Bush has been provided the outplacement services of Manpower, Inc. to help him write a resume and prepare for his upcoming job transition. According to Manpower, Mr. Bush may have difficulties in securing a new position due to limited practical work experience. One possibility is re-enlistment in the Army National Guard. Should he choose this option, he would likely be stationed in Iraq, a country he has visited. "I've been there, I know all about Iraq ,"stated Mr. Bush, who gained invaluable knowledge of the country in a visit to the Baghdad Airport nonsmoking terminal and gift shop.

Sources in Baghdad and Falluja say Mr. Bush would receive a warm reception from local Iraqis. They have asked to be provided with details of his arrival so that they might arrange an appropriate welcome.

Stormin Mormon