Google UseNet Groups advanced search

Page 2 of 3
| You should consider using Lynx as your browser | | http://lynx.isc.org/ |
I use Pale Moon and Firefox. I have no trouble on most websites. I don't need anti-virus and have never had a malware infection. Are you using Windows with no AV or other protection? If so then you're on borrowed time and shouldn't be so quick to scorn others who pay attention to security and privacy issues.
On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 09:02:11 -0400, "Mayayana"

Using WinXP-sp3 with MBAM for the past 7 years. No problems so far.
On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 8:24:44 AM UTC-5, CRNG wrote:

Are you using the paid version of MBAM (real-time monitoring)? I had the paid version in a few of my W7 systems and it became problematic...now I'm using Avast Free only.
On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 06:33:53 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa

Yes, I have been using the paid version but have the real-time monitoring turned off.
| Using WinXP-sp3 with MBAM for the past 7 years. No problems so far. |
I'm guessing MBAM is MalwareBytes? I don't need any such bloated malware hunters. So how is it that I'm flaky and you're not?
On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 10:06:24 -0400, "Mayayana"

I believe you are confusing me with someone else. I never wrote that you were flaky.
| I believe you are confusing me with someone else. I never wrote that | you were flaky.
You suggested using Lynx. Using a text-only browser would be very extreme these days, so I assumed you meant that my approach was extreme to the point of daffy.
Anyway.... no matter. People have very different views on what matters in terms of privacy and security, as well as big differences in how they use the Internet. I wouldn't expect us all to agree.
I sometimes wish I could just look over the shoulder of different people online. I think it would be educational. There's so much out there, and people find such different things.

Here's a scary story that shows no matter what browser or OS you use, there's always a weak link you can't protect against.
http://gizmodo.com/how-i-lost-my-50-000-twitter-username-1511578384
--
Bobby G.

| Here's a scary story that shows no matter what browser or OS you use, | there's always a weak link you can't protect against. | | http://gizmodo.com/how-i-lost-my-50-000-twitter-username-1511578384 |
Interesting. I've seen some other, similar articles about such "social engineering" attacks. I guess that story also points out another issue: When we use giant, cheapo or freebie services there's little, if any, customer service. A lot of people use GoDaddy because it's very cheap.
On 6/7/15 12:39 PM, CRNG wrote:

It told me there were zero results. I tried an alternate spelling of repare and got 5803.
I wish I could narrow it, by date, for example. Then Yogi Berra would say it's like deja vu all over again.

I tried an alternate spelling and got 3825!!! I wonder why the difference.
I noticed the early line groups:0
So I removed the groups: and searched for alt.home.repair leaking roof and I got 4121 hits. Still not as high as your 5803.

It's a shame we didn't pay more attention to how the previous advanced search formatted the command line. It may still work, I'm not sure.
On 6/7/15 2:16 PM, micky wrote:

When I said simply alt.home.repair leaking roof, I got 6279
When I added 2015 to the search, I got 76
When I added micky, I got 4.

they did in the past.
On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 09:25:20 -0700, "taxed and spent"

Yes. Last I looked, a year ago or so, one could search in ONE ng at a time. That page was hard to find, you had to get there from a page where you were reading the same group. (Does that still exist?)
They went out of their way to ruin newsgroup searching, and I don't know why. It doesn't seem like it should be the overhead. To save the trouble of indexing the articles? Isn't the number of webpages greater than t he number of all newsgroup articles put together?

To make people use Google Groups. They want to own you (the rest of you they don't already own).
On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 10:27:50 -0700, "taxed and spent"

I don't see that as a possible reason. Even if people use google groups to r ead groups with, they still need a good search page.

That is the reason they removed it from the regular google search. Why they are so lame as to not have a good search function in google groups is a different matter, and beyond me.
On 06/07/2015 10:27 AM, taxed and spent wrote:

Yep, that is exactly what they did. It was a slow and deliberate process over the last 13? or so years since they bought the once-functional usenet archive and search function from deja-news.
We have literally lost hundreds of thousands of contributions, across all groups, of peer-contributed content on a myriad of subjects, all so g**gle could make a buck on advertising/tracking/datamining.
Jon
On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 09:25:20 -0700, "taxed and spent"

Yeah it worked flawlessly before Google started Google Groups. I think they broke it on purpose.
alt.home.repair:

That's not a "Google UseNet Groups" search, it's a general Google WWW search. They dismantled the Groups search feature - it no longer exists, or at least is no longer available to users like us.