Google UseNet Groups advanced search

| Wouldn't a smart paranoid guy like you have an old sacrificial laptop | lying around to run Google (and other scary sites) stuff so you can | stop seeing white web pages?

I don't need to. I use duckduckgo. Actually Google basic search works, too, for the most part. I avoid it because they use redirects to track all activity, but I'm not paranoidly avoiding them. I just don't especially like being spied on.

I find it's usually the lazy people who view it as paranoid to care about online privacy and security. Lazy people prefer not to know because if they did know what was going on then they might feel they have to make some kind of effort.

I don't see it as black and white. It's not paranoids and normal people. Nor is it smart privacy watchdogs and idiots. There's a big middle ground where one can greatly increase both security and privacy online with a bit of effort and knowledge. That seems like plain common sense to me. And it saves me from needing anti-virus, malwarebytes, or any of those other resource-hogging security programs that most people use.

Reply to
Mayayana

| They dismantled the Groups search feature - it no longer | exists, or at least is no longer available to users like us.

That raises an interesting point: I wonder if Google has more functionality when used from within a Google+ log-in.

Reply to
Mayayana

Quotes from your last post:

Reply to
J0HNS0N

I definitely know what JavaScript is and use it in all of the website that I build for myself and others. And for better or worse I do trust Google.

Reply to
IGot2P

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 13:18:43 -0400, "Mayayana" wrote in

snip

You should consider using Lynx as your browser

CRNG

This is what I see for advanced searching when logged into Google Groups:

Search for topics

Search within alt.home.repair

Subject

Has the words

Does not have the words

Message ID

Posted by

Examples: me, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com, Jane Doe

Posted after Posted before

Examples: today, 1975/04/11

Include only these types of topics

Select attributes

Exclude these types of topics

Select attributes

Reply to
trader_4

| You should consider using Lynx as your browser | |

I use Pale Moon and Firefox. I have no trouble on most websites. I don't need anti-virus and have never had a malware infection. Are you using Windows with no AV or other protection? If so then you're on borrowed time and shouldn't be so quick to scorn others who pay attention to security and privacy issues.

Reply to
Mayayana

I just barley know what Java is and don't really care, but I use Chrome for the brouser on Windows XP. I did some kind of upgrade to Java and now my online banking program will not work with this upgrade. Java does not seem to support XP anymore on their website and does not have an old version listed to go back to. A computer that does not have the upgrade of Java works fine with the banking program.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 09:02:11 -0400, "Mayayana" wrote in

Using WinXP-sp3 with MBAM for the past 7 years. No problems so far.

Reply to
CRNG

Are you using the paid version of MBAM (real-time monitoring)? I had the paid version in a few of my W7 systems and it became problematic...now I'm using Avast Free only.

Reply to
bob_villa

| Using WinXP-sp3 with MBAM for the past 7 years. No problems so far. |

I'm guessing MBAM is MalwareBytes? I don't need any such bloated malware hunters. So how is it that I'm flaky and you're not?

Reply to
Mayayana

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 10:06:24 -0400, "Mayayana" wrote in

I believe you are confusing me with someone else. I never wrote that you were flaky.

Reply to
CRNG

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 06:33:53 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa wrote in

Yes, I have been using the paid version but have the real-time monitoring turned off.

Reply to
CRNG

| I believe you are confusing me with someone else. I never wrote that | you were flaky.

You suggested using Lynx. Using a text-only browser would be very extreme these days, so I assumed you meant that my approach was extreme to the point of daffy.

Anyway.... no matter. People have very different views on what matters in terms of privacy and security, as well as big differences in how they use the Internet. I wouldn't expect us all to agree.

I sometimes wish I could just look over the shoulder of different people online. I think it would be educational. There's so much out there, and people find such different things.

Reply to
Mayayana

On 08 Jun 2015, "Ralph Mowery" wrote in alt.home.repair:

I suspect there's something else going on. Despite the similar names, Java and Javascript have nothing to do with each other. I'd be extremely surprised if a bank required Java in order to use their online banking service, but if they did they would make it very obvious. OTOH, every bank web site I've seen makes heavy use of Javascript.

The most recent version of Java, ver. 8, doesn't "support" XP, but it can be installed on it. Version 7 is still available here:

I completely uninstalled Java a year or two ago and I found that I never needed it. If I do run across some program that requires it, I'll consider re-installing it at that time.

Reply to
Nil

As you are now criticizing me? Hypocrisy is it?

Hot and bothered? Are you upset?

Since you can't use a newsreader correctly (unsubstantiated quotes) I thought you might need a little browser help. And since you can't use a browser correctly because of your paranoia I just suggested using an old laptop. That way if the demons sneak in you can boil it or put a stake through it or whatever soothes you... ;)

I'll be happy to debate you on Google. I use many of Google's services and think them a good value for the price I pay. But it's hard to debate raving paranoia.

Reply to
J0HNS0N

Here's a scary story that shows no matter what browser or OS you use, there's always a weak link you can't protect against.

Robert Green

| Here's a scary story that shows no matter what browser or OS you use, | there's always a weak link you can't protect against. | |

Interesting. I've seen some other, similar articles about such "social engineering" attacks. I guess that story also points out another issue: When we use giant, cheapo or freebie services there's little, if any, customer service. A lot of people use GoDaddy because it's very cheap.

Reply to
Mayayana

I almost never use it. I know that because in OS X, you get a warning if a site wants you to load it. Still, every time I turn around, Oracle wants me to download another security update.

A couple of weeks ago, I used it for the first time in ages. I found that now I can't use it unless I first open the Java control panel to type in the URL as a site I trust.

Reply to
J Burns