Google UseNet Groups advanced search

Page 1 of 3
For those interested, here's the link http://www.google.com/advanced_search

Thanks
It would be more useful if Google allowed you to search Usenet only.
On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 12:14:43 -0400, Seymore4Head

+1 on that. And I was mistaken above. I thought http://www.google.com/advanced_search was for UseNet search only, but it is not. I'm going to look around a bit more.

Ok, I think I have it figured out. If you go to https://groups.google.com/forum /#!overview
and enter a search term such as
group:alt.home.repare leaking roof
to search in ANY Group, the search should be limited to alt.home.repair. If you to select search for the term in group:alt.home.repare it won't work, because you are asking it to search any group for the terms
group:alt.home.repare leaking roof
which is not what you want to do.
The interface is very confusing.
| Ok, I think I have it figured out. If you go to | https://groups.google.com/forum /#!overview |
They used to have a basic usenet search. Unfortunately, what you linked above is "HTML 5" and won't work at all without enabling javascript. I wouldn't trust Google to run javascript on my computer, so I see only a blank white webpage. I also used to find that normal search would often turn up a google groups URL. I haven't seen that for a long time. I don't know why. Not that I really care -- Google Groups pages also don't work without javascript.
I'm not sure you have the story straight, though. There are web-based forums that are actually private chat sites. Then there's usenet, NNTP, an entirely different communication protocol from HTTP and the Web.
Google groups and many other sites that *seem* to be forums are merely reprints and "terminals" for usenet. They make money by putting ads on webpages where the content is already-existing usenet discussions.
That being the case, any search engine can search multiple independent forums *and* usenet simultaneously. Several times I've had the experience of looking something up and finding that I myself provided the answer, some years ago, on usenet. I end up finding my post through search, on the webpage of some generic site that's pretending to be a forum, with me labeled as a "guest". :) For programming, home repair and even car repair I usually find that it's best to search generally. For instance, at one point I was looking up options for oil paint and came across what seemed to be a private forum for contractors. It was helpful. I wouldn't have found that with a usenet-only search. But that's the good thing about the parasite usenet-reprinters. They end up adding all of usenet to the general Internet resource, so it can all be searched in one place.
On 6/7/2015 12:18 PM, Mayayana wrote:

Why, sounds a bit paranoid to me.
| > I wouldn't trust Google to run | > javascript on my computer, (snipped) | | Why, sounds a bit paranoid to me. |
* Javascript is programming code. Nearly all online risks require running javascript. The implication of that is that websites can do all sorts of things you haven't approved of if you enable javascript. (Have you ever allowed a website to check your PC for problems online? They might have asked you for permission to access your machine, but the functionality doesn't require you to change any settings.)
* Google is among the sleaziest companies online. They own one of the biggest online ad companies and probably track people more than any other company.
* Google webpages these days are almost entirely composed of deliberately obfuscated javascript.
Given the above, I avoid Google services in general and *definitely* don't allow them to run javascript. It's not that I expect them to wipe my hard disk or steal my credit card number. It' just that they're a sleazy operation that's not to be trusted.
I'm continually surprised by how much people will trust corporate behavior simply because those corporations are gigantic and therefore must be on the level. Google is not on the level. (And they've been repeatedly caught lying, as when they claimed that collecting WiFi data through their mapping cars was "an accident".) If you didn't hear Eric Schmidtt's famous comment on privacy, you might find this link interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
e7wfDHzew
I think of Google as being a particular type of creepy. They think they're doing good. They're proud to be Googlites. People are especially untrustworthy when they think "God is on their side". Google made billions *without* spying on people, by using contextual ads in search. But that wasn't enough for them. Now they have an extensive spying operation, creating spying devices through gmail, Chrome, Google+, Android, etc. Yet the rank and file employees seem to think they're a cute and lovable company, serving humanity. I decided some time ago that I want as little connection to anything Google as possible. (Fortunately I don't have much use for a cellphone. Choosing between the spying and exploitation of Google/Android vs the spying and exploitation of Apple seems to be very much a "frying pan into the fire" scenario. :)
On 6/7/2015 1:05 PM, Mayayana wrote:

I definitely know what JavaScript is and use it in all of the website that I build for myself and others. And for better or worse I do trust Google.

I just barley know what Java is and don't really care, but I use Chrome for the brouser on Windows XP. I did some kind of upgrade to Java and now my online banking program will not work with this upgrade. Java does not seem to support XP anymore on their website and does not have an old version listed to go back to. A computer that does not have the upgrade of Java works fine with the banking program.
alt.home.repair:

I suspect there's something else going on. Despite the similar names, Java and Javascript have nothing to do with each other. I'd be extremely surprised if a bank required Java in order to use their online banking service, but if they did they would make it very obvious. OTOH, every bank web site I've seen makes heavy use of Javascript.
The most recent version of Java, ver. 8, doesn't "support" XP, but it can be installed on it. Version 7 is still available here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html
I completely uninstalled Java a year or two ago and I found that I never needed it. If I do run across some program that requires it, I'll consider re-installing it at that time.
On 6/8/15 12:53 PM, Nil wrote:

I almost never use it. I know that because in OS X, you get a warning if a site wants you to load it. Still, every time I turn around, Oracle wants me to download another security update.
A couple of weeks ago, I used it for the first time in ages. I found that now I can't use it unless I first open the Java control panel to type in the URL as a site I trust.

In the Windows version of the Firefox browser there is an add-on available called QuickJava. With it you can put on/off buttons on the toolbar for Java, Javascript, Cookies, Image Animations, Flash, Silverlight, Images, Stylesheets and Proxy.
It's very handy. Dunno if it's available in other OS X or other OSs.
alt.home.repair:

Can't you turn off the automatic "check for updates" feature? You can in the Windows control panel applet.
On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 13:18:43 -0400, "Mayayana"

Wouldn't a smart paranoid guy like you have an old sacrificial laptop lying around to run Google (and other scary sites) stuff so you can stop seeing white web pages?
On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 2:08:27 PM UTC-4, J0HNS0N wrote:

+1000
| Wouldn't a smart paranoid guy like you have an old sacrificial laptop | lying around to run Google (and other scary sites) stuff so you can | stop seeing white web pages?
I don't need to. I use duckduckgo. Actually Google basic search works, too, for the most part. I avoid it because they use redirects to track all activity, but I'm not paranoidly avoiding them. I just don't especially like being spied on.
I find it's usually the lazy people who view it as paranoid to care about online privacy and security. Lazy people prefer not to know because if they did know what was going on then they might feel they have to make some kind of effort.
I don't see it as black and white. It's not paranoids and normal people. Nor is it smart privacy watchdogs and idiots. There's a big middle ground where one can greatly increase both security and privacy online with a bit of effort and knowledge. That seems like plain common sense to me. And it saves me from needing anti-virus, malwarebytes, or any of those other resource-hogging security programs that most people use.

Quotes from your last post:
<I think of Google as being a particular type of creepy. <They think they're doing good. They're proud to be <Googlites. People are especially untrustworthy when they <think "God is on their side". Google made billions <*without* spying on people, by using contextual ads in <search. But that wasn't enough for them. Now they <have an extensive spying operation, creating spying <devices through gmail, Chrome, Google+, Android, etc.
God on their side? Extensive spying operation? Creating spying devices? You forgot to mention Google mapping the world before the takeover... 8-O
<I decided some time ago that I want as little connection <to anything Google as possible.
Sounds like you might be paranoidly avoiding them after all.
| <I decided some time ago that I want as little connection | <to anything Google as possible. | | Sounds like you might be paranoidly avoiding them after all.
You seem to show up only occasionally, mostly to criticize others. I wonder why you're so hot and bothered by how I use a browser and by my opinion of Google.

As you are now criticizing me? Hypocrisy is it?

Hot and bothered? Are you upset?
Since you can't use a newsreader correctly (unsubstantiated quotes) I thought you might need a little browser help. And since you can't use a browser correctly because of your paranoia I just suggested using an old laptop. That way if the demons sneak in you can boil it or put a stake through it or whatever soothes you... ;)

I'll be happy to debate you on Google. I use many of Google's services and think them a good value for the price I pay. But it's hard to debate raving paranoia.
On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 13:18:43 -0400, "Mayayana"

snip
You should consider using Lynx as your browser
http://lynx.isc.org/