Good all-around vacuum cleaners

Certainly. Dust always escapes the opening when futzing around getting the damned thing out of the vac and putting it in the garbage. It is *not* as clean as you pretend.

You don't read very well. There is no point in continuing until you read what I've already written.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 1, 11:26 am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I read what you wrote. You wrote "Taking the canister out to the garage is a *lot* cleaner than pulling the bag out of the vacuum."
I assume that does not include dumping it. If it does, feel free to correct me and then tell me again that dumping the canister is less messy than that removing the bag and putting it in the garbage. If we're not discussing the entire end to end process, then you're right. There is no point in continuing.
Now, I'll toss it back at you, twice:
Did you read what I wrote about self closing bags that eliminate the puff of dust when you remove/carry the bag?
Did you read what I wrote when I wrote that I'm not "pretending" about anything. All I've ever said was that the *end-to-end* process of emptying a bag unit vs and bagless was less messy - and more convenient - with a bagged unit.
Add pictures here
✖

You *obviously* didn't. I've stated that both can be messy. You insist at looking only at one side.

Because it's EMPTIED OUTSIDE. They really don't make that much of a mess, anyway.

Not all bags are "self closing" and you still need to get the stupid thing out of the vacuum. Not all (bag-less) canisters leak all over when you pull them out of the vacuum.

You sure are!
Add pictures here
✖

As long as you continue to refuse to address the entire end-to-end process you will continue to think that your argument makes sense.
If that works for you, so be it.
Add pictures here
✖

Your inability to read doesn't work for me. It's useless trying to communicate with you.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat 01 Jan 2011 10:47:46p, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz told us...

And useless to expect anything other than a smartass remark from you.

✖
Eric wrote:

Don't laugh.
A wet-dry shop-vac, with the proper attachements, will out-perform most "regular" vacuum cleaners.
I've got a Rigid that I bought on Black Friday. That sumbitch sucks better that the French Horn player I dated in college.
Aside: I recently scored a Roomba from Craigslist (for $25.00!). After replacing the battery, it works swell. Of course it only "sweeps," not vacuums, but it gathers an amazing amount of debris.
I hate to admit it, but it's somewhat entertaining to watch the gizmo scurry around a room like a drunk trying to navigate the mirrored-maze at the circus midway. When it encounters the fringe on a rug, it goes as nutty as the third monkey on Noah's gangplank. Most of the time, after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, and twitching and turning, and beeping and honking, it manages to disentangle itself from the rug and continue on with its mission.
Add pictures here
✖

You have a Roomba, but do you have any pets?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf9wHkkNGUU&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 wrote:

That was hilarious.
Years ago I heard some meowing in a strange voice. Investigating, I found a wee feral kitten who had wandered in through the open door looking for the never-empty food bowl. He found it, but ...
His tail was a mess; no fur, black, necrotic...
Scooped him up and off to the vet.
"Yep," said the vet. "Tail's gotta go."
That's how the kitten got his name.
Fast forward to yesterday. Bob (the cat) watched the Roomba do its thing with some curiosity. He finally got tired of the silliness and pulled an Elvis by leaving the bedroom.
I don't hold much hope for him riding on it.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/31/2010 4:34 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I've been keeping my eyes open at the thrift stores and yard sales for an early-model Roomba at the gag-gift price point, to leave at my sister's house to exercise and amuse the cat while they are both gone ten hours a day. (rescue cat, already declawed when they got it, so outside is not an option.) Roomba doesn't even have to suck any more, just wander around. Cat was a skinny little thing when they got it, but it is starting to pork up now, living the easy life.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖
aemeijers wrote:

Have you looked on Ebay or Craigslist. I've seen several (and even bought one) that the owners said were kaput when all each needed is a new battery.
If you can find one with a "scheduler," so much the better. You can program it to come on a couple of hours after you leave, further freaking-out the cat.
P.S. I'm a firm believer that God put Aggies* and kitty-cats on earth so the rest of us would have something to torment.
------ * Graduate of Texas A&M University.
Aside: A&M may not win all their football games, but they always win the half-time! Here's an example of the world's largest (400+) military band. The band begins and ends each show with the "Aggie War Hym" which accounts for the cheering at the beginning and end of the performance):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o29Q7T3oBV8

Add pictures here
✖
On 12/30/2010 6:28 PM, Eric wrote:

I have two Shelties, so I can relate to the shedding issue! My current vacuum is a Bissell "lift off" that I got at Target several years ago. (I mention that because I think the models vary depending on which store it is). The box specifically mentioned pets. So far I'm really happy with it - that thing sucks up an amazing amount of dog hair! (I'll admit, my dogs' hair blends in with the carpet so I don't always notice it, and can go too long between vacuum sessions). It fills that canister right up. I have not had any problems with emptying the canister, probably in part because the dog hair sticks to itself and comes out in "clumps", rather than as dust. The only real maintenance problem I've had is that occasionally the hair can manage to tangle itself around the brush, and I have to free it up so it can turn.
I've always wanted a Dyson, but not the price. For me this does a good enough job and it was a much more reasonable price. I want to say around $130 on sale a few years ago.
As an aside, have you ever tried a rubber "rake" for cleaning up the shedding? I bought one years ago at a dog show and it is great for picking up hair and other small bits of stuff, like pieces of paper. It looks somewhat like: http://www.shammysolutions.com/site/1618064/product/100-10 (that's not the brand that I have (I cannot find that brand anywhere) and I am not familiar with this company; it's just an example). The only drawback is that it's all manual, but probably a good workout.
Add pictures here
✖

I've had Hoover's for the past 20+ years, two of them. The first one still works but the better half wanted to replace it anyway so we got a new one and it's somewhat more powerful. Although I take whatever Consumer Reports says with a grain of sand, they do consistently rank Hoover's as among the top vacuums. Most of the heavily advertised ones, such as Eureka and Oreck and Dyson don't do all that well in the CR tests. I don't believe you get much extra by spending more then $300, there's only so much you can do in making a vacuum, the rest is just fluff. The Hoover we have now has a green and red light that senses "dirt" and I first dismissed it as nonsense but it actually can be pretty useful in telling if you have really gotten all the grit out. It mainly reacts to small grit/sand/soil type stuff, not animal hair or other fuzzy stuff. It uses both a vacuum bag and a HEPA panel filter. And it's self propelled. My experience is that if you get good suction you may well want to get self propelled because the suction will hold the head down to the carpet. It's less important on a cheap crappy vacuum because they don't have much suction.
Add pictures here
✖