Generator problems

Hello:

I have a question regarding my Northstar 8000 Watt generator (with 13 HP Honda GX390). Recently we had to use this generator extensively and during that time, the generator quit on us as if we hit the kill switch on it. Now, I cannot get it to run more than about 5 minutes with any load on it (even something as small as a fridge and freezer). Without a load, it seems to run fine without any problems. I've already taken it to the nearest Honda dealer which replaced the Low Oil Sensor switch. However it is still doing the same thing after I got it back. The last test I did was hook up an air compressor to it. The air compressor motor tried to kick on, however the motor only turned over a couple times and quit, and the generator shut off at that exact moment as if I hit the kill switch. I did this test 3 times and got the same result.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions on what could be the issue with this thing? I will be calling Northern Tool to see what the next step is, but I wanted to see if this group may have more ideas. This is pretty frustrating.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Best,

-- Chris

Reply to
szilagyic

How many various safety features are there on the unit that can kill the engine? Is there a way to bypass each one at a time? What is the relationship between any sort of safety shutdown feature and the generator itself? Is there something that would shut down the engine if a short or groundfault is (erroneously) detected?

Reply to
Steve Kraus

Those are the questions I was asking myself, too. I have seem some previous posters that owned Northstar generators so I was hoping somebody out there knew a little more about them, as info on them is very limited. The only obvious things that can kill the engine are the Off switch and the Low Oil Sensor switch, the manual mentions them both. I have no idea but I'm assuming this must have some other sort of kill mechanism, I have looked it over and I can't visibly identify one. There aren't any wires running from the generator head (or electric output box) to the engine that I can see.

Thanks much in advance for any further ideas that anybody can provide!

Thank you,

-- Chris

Steve Kraus wrote:

Reply to
szilagyic

You say it runs without a load but 5 minutes with one, could it be dying from lack of fuel under load such as a partialy stuck float not getting it fuel. Or could the electronic ignition module be failing when it gets hot, Ive had several motors run fine till they got hot and the ignition module was to blame, See if you get spark after it dies, if yes see if Either or gas squirted in the carb gets it going.

Reply to
m Ransley

Also try bypassing the low oil switch, and possibly the on off switch. But the 5 minutes under load might be the ingition failing when it gets hot.

Reply to
m Ransley

I will try bypassing the Low Oil Sensor and will post the results.

I don't think it's the ignition failing, as it will start right back up just after it stops, every time. Although I was told by the Honda service center that when the engine quit, it was because of no spark (which is why they replaced the Low Oil Sensor).

Thanks.

Reply to
szilagyic

It seems that I have found the solution to this problem after a lot of testing; the Low Oil Sensor seems to be the cause. I got it to shut itself off several times in a row, then immediately unplugged the sensor (the single yellow wire coming from the engine block) and it ran for another hour under different loads without a single problem. I am really surprised as the Honda service center just replaced the sensor. I don't know of any other reasons that the sensor would detect low oil, I'm using 10W-30 as suggested by the manual and it is topped off at the correct mark. One thing I noticed after the engine ran for a while is the oil had some small air bubbles at the top near the fill hole... but I'm assuming this is normal.

Thanks again for all feedback on this issue. Hopefully the suggestions in this thread will help others in the future with similar problems.

-- Chris

Reply to
szilagyic

I have a problem with my generator (Honda GX Series 15000 Pro series) powered by Kohler Command 25 Its just not staying on like it doesn’t have any fire to start

Reply to
MOR

Has it been test-run every 3 or 4 months ? Old gas ? Rodent nests in the air intake ? Low oil sensor issues ? ... etc .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Is it a Suzuki or a Perkins diesel?

Reply to
Debbie

Which is it? It doesn't say on or it doesn't start?

Give a more detailed description.

Reply to
micky

And what fuel? If it's gasoline, a fouled carb is a very common problem, especially if it's been sitting for months with gas in it.

Reply to
trader_4

Yes the carb is often the problem if an engine sits around with fuel in it, especially any that has the ethanol in it. I had to clean out the carb on my 5 kw generator 3 times before I wised up and used only the ethanol free fuel and ran it out of gas after use. It only gets used about once ever 2 or 3 years on the average around here.

Solved that problem by going to a propane generator (actually dual fuel, but never use gas). I have only fired it up 3 times. Once when I first got it to see how it worked. Two times for about an hour or two for power outages.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If you have a gas carb engine like that it's smart to buy a carb rebuild kit on Ebay for maybe $7 and have it on hand. They give you gaskets, needle valve, welch plugs, etc. Only thing else you might need is the gasket between the carb and manifold, which typically is not included. I've managed to pretty much reuse those though.

Reply to
trader_4

Had that problem with snow thrower even when gas was stabilized. Then reading the manual, it said use ethanol free gas. Probably hit seals in carburetor.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Why not spend $20 and just buy a new carb? I pretty much stopped rebuilding carbs years ago. One exception is my Honda mower. The main jet is right in line with the plug in the bottom of the float bowl and you can clean it with a torch tip cleaner without removing the carb. Maybe the generator uses the same style carburetor. It is fast enough to check with a mirror.

Reply to
gfretwell

ON my generator there is a screw ( bolt) that holds the float bowl on. That screw has some holes in it that can get stopped up. I am thinking there is one on the side that is very small that is easy to over look. I had forgotten about that hole. I think I missed it the first time I worked on the carborator and while discussing it with some at work they mentioned it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery