[SOLVED] gas fireplace won't start-up - pilot is lit

My recent problem is pilot light is lit but when I turn on the switch to li ght up fireplace it doesn't light up. So, I used a paper clip to jump it at the connections and after a while it lit up. So I conect the wires back an d it is now working like it's supposed to. My question is, what is the prob lem, why didn't it turn on at first before jumping? Is it a possible bad wi re or gas valve. Remember I thought it was the wire..but when I reconnected everything back and turn the switch on it worked.

Reply to
rique57

Ok, I am totally confused. Pilot is lit and has been for 10months. I flip t he wall switch and nothing. I remove the wall switch and touch the wires an d still nothing. So I jump at gas valve connection with paper clip and fire place lights up. I remove clip fires goes off. I reconnect the wires back and flip the switch to fire place ans it lights up. Fire place still workin g off the switch so what caused it to not turn on at first, why did it turn when jumped? Anybody have a clue?

Reply to
rique57

I just went through this today. Turns out the gas line to the pilot flame was blocked. There was an orifice on the end of the line near the thermoco uple that was corroded and blocked. Cleaning this up so proper amount of g as could flow and provide proper pilot flames fixed it.

Reply to
dbaflyer1227

replying to funkdys, Chris f. wrote: EASY FIX! - Maybe, moved into our 10 yr old house 2 yrs ago. Our Heatolator always had issues lighting, flipping the switch many times before lighting. Had a guy come out last yr who charged $100 to clean everything, worked a little better for a week or so then back to same old problem..recently I started poking around under bottom where components are located with a flashlight I spotted wire leading off to what turned out to be a battery PAC with 2 D cells in it.. they were very corroded. I remove the two batteries clean the connections put two fresh batteries in and Wala the fireplace starts up every time on the first throw out the switch. This would be for gas fireplaces with an automatic pilot light meaning that you do not have to get down and light the pilot light yourself it is controlled by the wall switch. I assume these batteries have something to do with the electronic ignition, either way it's fixed my problem. Nobody anywhere ever mentions this when talking about fixing these fireplaces

Reply to
Chris f.

On Wednesday, December 24, 2008 at 7:34:23 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

Our fireplace has been working fine then last night when I turned the knob off like normal I went too far and the pilot light went out. Went to resta rt it and the pilot will light but as soon as I go to allow flow of gas to the logs it goes out and cuts off. We just had it served and cleaned so I don't think it is dirty or blocked in any way. Tried turning the gas on to the logs and lighting it with a match and nothing, almost as if the logs a re not getting any gas. Any suggestions. I hate to call the service guy t hat just told me everything was fine. Thanks.

Reply to
lwthornley

Guys, I'm have a similar issue. Ventless Real-Fyre G9-2 unit with wall moun ted remote. Pilot stays on and I can manually turn the FP on with the on tu rn knob on the unit but remote box will not work. I bypassed the wall conne ction with a brand new sky-tech remote box and connected directly to the TP TH / TH connectors but when I move the Skytech box to the on position it s till does not ignite. So I bypassed the wires in the wall thinking maybe mi ce and connected directly to unit with new remote box but nothing. Again, m anual operations work fine. I'm stumped.

Reply to
mhaynespa

If you turn it on manually, can you turn it off from the remote?

Reply to
Pat

Similar problem. Pilot is lit and the switch which has on / off / remote w orks for a while, then I can not turn it on with the switch or remote.

I had to replace the previous switch a because I could almost never get it to work. The connector on the new switch did not match the old one so I ha d to splice the wire from the fireplace to the new receiver together. When it is not working and I switch it from OFF to ON and it does not light, if I disconnect one of the splices and then reconnect it lights no problem. Also, I can touch the two wires from the fire place together and it lights no problem every time so I am pretty sure it is not anything from the wire back. Any thoughts?

Reply to
greg.laughton

The pilot light stays lit but no flame. I just replaced the thermopile and still have the same problem. I did as you suggested and jumped the TH & TH-TP with a paper clip, I did not get a flame, please advise, thanks

Reply to
sushicinti

It could a lose connection or bad wire. My fireplace was coming on intermit tently. So I went to look at the wiring and lifted one of the wires and it came right on. So I knew that the wire was either bad or it was lose connec tion. It turned out being a lose connect . Works great now. So anyway check your wiring fist make sure everything is connected and not lose. It can be as simple as that.

Reply to
masseyupdyke91

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 7:47:34 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro te:

ittently. So I went to look at the wiring and lifted one of the wires and i t came right on. So I knew that the wire was either bad or it was lose conn ection. It turned out being a lose connect . Works great now. So anyway che ck your wiring fist make sure everything is connected and not lose. It can be as simple as that.

HELP PLEASE!

I have a Heatmaster Vent-Free Gas Log set. It is operated manually (no wall /remote switch) I can get the Pilot to light and stay lighted but when I tu rn the valve to "ON" the burner does not light. I have cleaned the double burner and pilot area with compressed air. What can I do next?? Thanks fo r any suggestions.

Reply to
mckernanj01

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 10:50:21 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

rote:

rmittently. So I went to look at the wiring and lifted one of the wires and it came right on. So I knew that the wire was either bad or it was lose co nnection. It turned out being a lose connect . Works great now. So anyway c heck your wiring fist make sure everything is connected and not lose. It ca n be as simple as that.

ll/remote switch) I can get the Pilot to light and stay lighted but when I turn the valve to "ON" the burner does not light. I have cleaned the doubl e burner and pilot area with compressed air. What can I do next?? Thanks for any suggestions.

Most gas appliances that rely on a pilot light have a thermocouple that's in the pilot flame and connected to the gas valve. The thermocouple, when hot, generates a small electric current that the gas valve needs to open to supply gas to the burners.The reasons why are obvious. Probably a bad thermocouple, it's a common failure.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to BobinDurham, Lorna wrote: Thanks so much for your tip. I sprayed the compressed air all around with no success. Only when I put the straw into the hole beside the pilot light did the fireplace light. I was just about to call service. Lorna

Reply to
Lorna

Another satisfied customer.

Reply to
trader_4

Thx....this helped me and got mine going!!

Reply to
crystalda27

replying to trader_4, FlyFishingUte wrote: Same issue - need help. The paper clip method did not work on my situation. The TP to TP/TH measurement off is 292, and on is 122. Took a brush to the thermopile to clean the soot off

Reply to
FlyFishingUte

replying to funkdys, Jim wrote: There's a safety switch underneath the glass that has to be depressed for the gas to go on.

Reply to
Jim

replying to BobinDurham, jwdeardorff wrote: Ha! F-14 in zone 5. :)

Reply to
jwdeardorff

replying to BobinDurham, jwdeardorff wrote: Ha! F-14 in zone 5. :)

Reply to
jwdeardorff

What is the problem

Reply to