G clamp or C clamp?

Page 3 of 8
On 7/13/2016 4:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Never heard of a G clamp on this side of the pond. False advertising though, they can be broken if you try hard enough or abuse them enough.

If you try to use them as a vice perhaps. But I find them very useful for holding something steady for gluing or cutting.
--
Reboot - to kick a computer in such a way that it turns off and then on again.

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 6:28:50 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson wrote:

I find Brits *try* to be annoying with their use words. "Now lets's see what we can call this to totally alienate the other English speaking world? We are elitists...and no one can say otherwise!"

What words are you talking about?
--
A young girl had not been feeling well and went to her family doctor. "Young lady," the doctor began, "you're pregnant."
"But that can't be. The only men I've been with are nudists, and in our colony we practice sex only with our eyes."

How does that work?
And it looks home made, like a screwdriver's been shoved through a G clamp.

The little end always comes off the cheapest G clamps.
--
For this race I'm going to be using "beati dogu". Japanese for the ancient art of driving a sports car round a track faster than a greyhound. -- Richard Hammond

You slide it to make contact with the thing to be clamped, then turn the screw to the tension required. Usually less than one turn suffices. Friction holds the sliding part in place, once tensioned.

They come by the boatload from China, these days, and are quite cheap.

That may be a problem with the other kind too,
Jan

The quick fit to size is what is useful. C-clamps are pretty useles, except in the smallest sizes.

Dutch has 'lijmklem' for it, lit. glue clamp. German the intimidating 'Schraubzwinge', lit. Screw Forcer. French the self-explanatory serre-joint. This came back to Dutch as 'Sergeant' for a special kind of clamp.

Not in my experience. However, even if in bits it is still usable.
Jan
On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 10:51:55 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder) wrote:

You talking about "bessey" clamps?? Fantastic for woodworking, but qyuite a few places where a "bessey" won't work and a C clamp will - and in some cases a locking plierds like the british "mole" or American "vise-grips" or Irwin locking pliers are the only REAL solution.

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 12:53:22 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Bessey is a brand name.
F-clamp is a style.
All Bessey's are not F-clamps and all F-clamps are not Bessey's.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes:

Bessey, of course, makes a wide variety of clamps, in a wide variety of styles - including F-style and C-style clamps as well as spring clamps, parallel/case clamps, toggle clamps and handscrews.
For woodworking: http://www.besseytools.com/en/category.php?ASIMOID_MC 0000000001f3f000030023
For metalworking: http://www.besseytools.com/en/category.php?ASIMOID_MC 0000000001f07600030023

F-clamp seems to be American usage. I had to look up Bessey, as that seems to be American too. To my surprise I found that it is a German firm, and a German invention. (1936)

Well known of course, but the 'Irwin' of it tends to get lost in Europe.
Jan

Don't ever buy batteries from China. They have 20% of advertised capacity.
--
Confucius say: "Boy who go to sleep with stiff problem wake up with solution in hand."

Not in my experience. There is a general western prejudice of long standing, to the point that first Japanese, now Chinese are inferior products, cheap imitations of superior Western designs at best.
This was already wrong back in 1940,
Jan
On Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 4:53:15 AM UTC-4, J. J. Lodder wrote:

Generally speaking, anyone who makes general statements is generally not 100% correct.

Every single one is crap, here's some examples:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221858627775 Two of them worked once, then refused to charge in any charger, sitting at 0V. The other two had half the rated capacity.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141780761539 This guy is advertising 10440 batteries which means they're lithium, except these aren't.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152078611685 I tested these and got about 700mAh, not the 2300 stamped on the side.
The only batteries you can be sure of are ones made by Panasonic. Even Samsung are only 80% of what they say.
I have a Fuji camera rated at 10MP. I measured it as 2.5MP, it gives you files with 10 million dots, but groups of 4 dots are the same! The orientals make a living by ripping people off.
--
For the really paranoid who want to destroy data there's nothing like taking the lid off the disk drive and rearranging the sectors with a hammer.

On 7/30/2016 10:45 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Please tell us how you tested them.

And those are probably manufactured in China.

----- -----

Is it Fuji or Fujifilm? The latter used to have good cameras. If the latter, please give model number.
--
Tak

It's not rocket science, you charge them fully using a normal charger. Then you connect them to a bulb that will drain their power in a reasonable length of time (say 5 hours, so you're not diminishing the capacity due to high drain). Put an ammeter in series with the bulb. Observe over 5 hours what current you get on average, and multiply that by the time it lasts. When I test Panasonic batteries, I get bang on what they are rated at within a few %.

My point is 90% Chinese batteries are shite.
Anything unbadged, or saying "Trustfire" or "Ultrafire" or some such thing is not to be touched.

Fujifilm, I thought they were one and the same. They didn't used to have good cameras, this one is 5 years old and the previous similar one was bought 15 years ago. Both gave about a quarter MP of what they stated. The current one is a Finepix S1000fd.
--
In 1839, the imperial Chinese commissioner Lin Zexu wrote a letter to Queen Victoria warning that, unless the British stopped supplying opium to China, he would cut off rhubarb supplies to Britain, killing everyone through mass constipation.

James Wilkinson formulated on Saturday :

So, most of them are good then?

I've never said 10% is most. And when paying for batteries coming by mail, you want most to be about 98%.
--
A statistician took a standard deviation from his normal way home because the mean of the population was after him.

On 7/30/2016 1:46 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

It is not clear how you determine the point of complete discharge. It looks like you are risking over discharging the test battery. I thought you have built yourself a gadget using some of the battery monitoring IC's and a Rasberry Pi or something like that.
It is also not clear if the light bulb matches the wattage range the battery is designed for.

In the US at least, there is no Fuji brand camera that I know of. So if you have a Fuji then it is likely to be a knock-off.

My Fujifilm is not a digital camera and is from further back. An acquaintance of mine who owned a photo print lab told me that from his experience at the shop, Fujifilm had the best zoom lens for a point-and-shoot camera in the price range that I wanted to spend.
--
Tak