Wonky G clamp

Hi All

I have an old G clamp and the main G bit seems to have twisted such that the threaded bit no longer meets the G.

Anyone have any ideas how to twist it back. It is a fairly hefty thing (around 8" G).

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

Personally I'd imagine its now time for a new G cramp. If its been done up so tight as to have bent it, its probably either a sub standard one or basically knackered and may crack if used for something important in the future. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Assuming it is a traditional cast iron clamp, it's probably not recoverable. If it is steel, you might be able to bend it back provided you can get the "bent" region up to red heat.

Photo?

Reply to
newshound

One of mine did that after being overtightened. I just unscrewed it fully, clamped the other end in the vice and heaved on the end of the threaded bit! That was probably 10 years ago and its been fine ever since. I'm just careful not to overtighten that one.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

They don't make G clamps like they used to. BnQ are doing set of 3 I saw when I happened to visit them a few days ago. They're rather small but for £3.50 the lot you can't grumble - even if they don't last.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You should be able to get 3 small oldies for that price that'll last a life time. I could grumble.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr