Track saw question: to clamp or not to clamp

I'm not actually interested in making this desk, but I watched it long enou gh to see this builder use a track saw without clamps. Is this normal use? Since I bought mine recently (cordless Makita, thanks Mike), I've been care ful to clamp, but if I don't need to, I can save time.

See 00:35 seconds

Thanks!

Reply to
Michael

ough to see this builder use a track saw without clamps. Is this normal use ? Since I bought mine recently (cordless Makita, thanks Mike), I've been ca reful to clamp, but if I don't need to, I can save time.

I have heard and seen videos of people using the Festool track saw and NOT clamping the rail down. Not me. I always clamp the rail before using my F estool track saw. Maybe if you are cutting something where accuracy is not really that crucial (plywood roof decking), then not clamping is fine. Bu t when I cut most stuff, I want it to be exact, down to the thousandth of a millimeter. Clamping assures that accuracy. No clamp and you can easily move the track on the wood. The rubber padding on the bottom of the track does not permanently stick the track to the wood.

Reply to
russellseaton1

I used clamps on my track saw tracks once or twice. For the past 10 or so years I have NOT use any type of clamp to hold the track in place, even on walnut and cherry plywood.

My tracks are Festool. I don't know if there is any appreciable difference in the holding power of the rubber on either brand track.

Reply to
Leon

Perhaps you need to clean the rubber on the bottom of the tracks. In the past 10 years I have had no issue with not using clamps and the accuracy is as good as my ICS Sawstop TS.

If the rubber gets dusty it will be less likely to hold as well as when clean.

Reply to
Leon