Makita Track Saw: Tail or no tail?

My first inclination is, except for a drill driver, to use corded tools bec ause I like having good power all the time. But maybe for this tool I shoul d re-think that. I'm going to use it for now to cut OSB for a flooring proj ect and then later I expect to break down plywood sheets. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Reply to
Michael

ecause I like having good power all the time. But maybe for this tool I sho uld re-think that. I'm going to use it for now to cut OSB for a flooring pr oject and then later I expect to break down plywood sheets. Does anyone hav e thoughts on this?

I have thoughts. On the Festool website they talk about track saws a lot. With Festool they rave about the power of the smaller blade Cordless saw. And complain about the little power of the corded small Festool track saw. So with Festool it seems the cordless small 6" track saw is the choice. The big Festool track saw is only corded so its not in consideration here. I have the corded Festool track saw and find it works just fine. I don't cut really thick stuff so don't know how well it does cutting 8/4 or 12/4 d ense hardwood. But ripping 3/4" plywood or 4/4 hardwood, it does just fine . For construction type work I think cordless would be beneficial. And in general not having a cord would be good. But for general cutting inside a workshop or garage or around the house/yard, I think corded is just fine. No need to go cordless, especially since I think cordless is more expensiv e.

Concerning the power comparison between Festool corded and cordless track s aws, I do not know if this same thing applies for Makita, DeWalt, or anyone else making both corded and cordless track saws. Maybe only Festool makes the corded track saw weaker and the cordless stronger. Others may have mo re powerful corded saws. Who knows.

Reply to
russellseaton1

I don't know if even make a track version, but I've been extremely impressed with the DeWalt cordless saw the contractors (both general for framing, etc., and the hardwood flooring installer for repair) had.

I "borrowed" one over a weekend the flooring installer left and other than the safety interlock on the switch that I couldn't reach easily (I do have small hands that I would have to bypass to use as own) and found it as good as it appeared watching.

Reply to
dpb

The only electric tool in my shop with out a tail is a drill.

Food for thought. I have never worn out a battery operated tool however the batteries have all given out eventually and the replacements are often not available.

Corded tools do not have this issue.

If you think you will actually use the track saw enough to wear the tool out, not the battery, and have no issue with waiting for a battery to recharge in the middle of a project, go cordless.

Or if you need to use the tool where 120 volt is not available,,,,

Reply to
Leon

For a project like yours, I doubt you'll drain a battery before a second one charges. I'm a big fan of Makita, and can tell you the charger I have charges batteries pretty quick. An hour and it's ready.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

because I like having good power all the time. But maybe for this tool I s hould re-think that. I'm going to use it for now to cut OSB for a flooring project and then later I expect to break down plywood sheets. Does anyone h ave thoughts on this?

I'm with you Leon. I woke up this morning and decided I've always used cord s and that's just how I work.

Appreciate the input from others!

Reply to
Michael

I have a cordless drill from 1993. Bosch 12 volt. Its batteries died ten or so years ago. I easily found a place on the internet that rebuilt the b atteries. Fairly cheap price too. Like $50-60 total for two batteries. S o your fear of not being able to find replacement batteries is completely f alse. As long as you don't completely lose the batteries, you can easily g et them rebuilt as good as new.

Reply to
russellseaton1

I bought the Makita cordless track saw a few months ago and it's incredible. I would never go back to corded. The DC brush-less motors are so efficient and smooth. Corded AC saws always feel like you're a second from losing control. All that torque on startup and the feeling a huge amount of power in your hand.

The DC brush-less motors are totally opposite. Very smooth on start-up and when running. They feel like they are hardly working but still cut very fast.

I actually bought another cordless Makita circular saw for regular framing type cutting. The 5ah batteries last a really long time and charging is fast. I will never go back to corded.

Reply to
-MIKE-

From '93, they must be NiCd batteries. I found NiCd to be nothing but frustration. Whenever I needed the tool, the batteries were dead. I've rebuilt many batteries and none lasted more than a year, maybe two. Li-Ion is a real game-changer. In ten years, I've only had a couple of batteries fail (out of 20ish).

Reply to
krw

+1

I've never had to wait for a battery to charge. I prefer Bosch, though I have a couple of DeWalt (older tools - newer batteries), Ryobi (weird tools that don't have a Bosch counterpart), and Festool. I had the old stick-type Makita drills and found the batteries to be nothing but a PITA, though in reality it was the technology not the brand. I have Bosch 12V batteries that are 10 years old.

Reply to
krw

Actually when I had old technology batteries it was relatively easy to have the batteries replaced/rebuilt.

The thing you can not do these days with modern Lithium Ion batteries is find a rebuilder that will rebuild these type batteries.

Since the Op is talking about a NEW track saw it is highly unlikely to find a decent on with the old battery technology.

Reply to
Leon

On 10/7/2019 12:53 PM, Leon wrote: ...

There are a few that will...the harder part is figuring out how to get them shipped thru the DOT HAZMAT maze...or even if the particular pack is/is not.

Reply to
dpb

Just take it to UPS and tell them that it's a lithium ion battery pack.

Reply to
J. Clarke