G clamp or C clamp?

Page 1 of 8
I've always called this a G clamp in the UK, do Americans all say C clamp? Or is there a subtle difference in the shape?
http://www.accordbenchvices.com/gclamp-cclamp.html
On 7/13/2016 1:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

C clamp here. Never heard the term G clamp. G string, sure. But G clamp, no.
On 13/07/16 22:03, Taxed and Spent wrote:

I use an E clamp, an A clamp, a D clamp, a G clamp, a B clamp, and then another E clamp, two octaves higher than the first.
--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 5:23:58 PM UTC-4, Richard Heathfield wrote:

Musical advice for crossing the street:
C Sharp or B Flat
On 07/13/2016 03:23 PM, Richard Heathfield wrote:

I've sometimes wondered if 'capo' is related to 'capon' in some way.
On 7/13/16 7:45 PM, rbowman wrote:

It's not, but it is related to the Mafia "capo". "Capo" is short for "capo tasto", which means "head stop"--"capo" is just an Italian word for "head".
"Capon" comes from a Latin word of obscure origin, maybe from an Indo-European root meaning "cut".
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search po
--
Jerry Friedman
"No Trump" bridge-themed political shirts: cafepress.com/jerrysdesigns
On 2016-Jul-14 07:23, Richard Heathfield wrote:

Two cases of E-clampsia, then.
--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

So the ladies liked the music?
--
1 in 10,000 people have their internal organs the other way round (left to right)

On 07/13/2016 04:03 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

I need a U-clamp.

More space inside than a C?
--
Debugger: a tool to remove evidence of rear entry.

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 20:29:26 +0100, "James Wilkinson"

No, a more permanent clamp. Often used to hold the tailpipe up on the frame of a vehicle. Tightened with nuts.
Another clamp is the "head clamp" used by early studio photographers to keep the subject's head from moving (and blurring) because exposure times were slow:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c1/fc/44/c1fc44f145dc59a966513600ed3f6d73.jpg
https://ddelosrios.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/head-clamp-2.jpg
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Ouch! I always thought a head clamp was to hold the flash gun head or something.
--
Hickory dickory dock, three mice ran up the clock. The clock struck one, and the others got away with minor injuries.

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 21:36:20 +0100, "James Wilkinson"

The ones pictured were used before flash guns were invented.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

I'm now thinking of something to prevent leakage of a high pressure water system using a tank raised several metres off the ground. Maybe I need more sleep or less drugs.
--
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

No G strings, please. He's English.
On 7/13/2016 5:03 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

C-string (the clothing kind) is somewhat like a C-clamp.
--
Tak
On 7/14/2016 6:20 PM, Tak To wrote:

Entry in one of the contests that used to run in the Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction: "My parents went to the planet of asymmetrical people and all I got was this lousy F-shirt"....r

Those are good for pissing someone off who says nudity isn't allowed somewhere.
--
Peter is listening to Eric Clapton - Layla

On 07/13/2016 3:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Never heard it of anything but "C" in US; I guess it's that we ignore the stem and look only at the casting in characterizing the shape.

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 4:53:28 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson wrote:

A Google search seems to indicate that the names C and G are interchangeable.
That said, I've never heard of them being called G clamps until you made me look it up.
Now I'm stuck with that info floating around in my head forever. I hate you.