Free antivirus recommendations ?

Page 1 of 2
It seems Avast *might* be deliberately slowing computers down that don't buy their upgrades ... I installed AVG , it found a malicious file that can slow things down with an Avast identifier . Not that AVG is any better . It too is overgrown , trying to do too many things and using a lot of resources . So I'm looking for something that works well and isn't bloated with extras ...
--
Snag

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 10:32:13 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

IDK about free, but you can usually get McAffee, Norton, etc on Ebay for just a few bucks. What's available varies, but either one or the other is usually there at really low prices.
On 05/17/2016 09:35 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Both of them are extremely bloated
I just set up an XP machine with Comodo and it has not bogged down the machine...seems pretty decent.
Of course if one is using Win7 MSE should do the job
On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 1:40:24 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:

I've used both here on my PC, Win 7, no problems, PC is still snappy and fine. I can't tell any difference in performance with and without McAfee
trader_4 wrote:

I've got Avira installed on 2 boxes now , both are much faster than with Avast or AVG .
--
Snag

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 7:32:13 AM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:

AVG has worked fine with this HP Pavilion P6000 series for years now Only once has something slipped by
On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 9:32:13 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

This should be marked OT, http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antivirus,review-2588-5.html
On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 7:43:28 AM UTC-7, bob_villain wrote:

i only use the MS security essentials
it works for a long long time, without problems
then if something pops up, i deal with it then [this strategy has worked for me, for years and years]
i used to think you needed more protection [i try not to install too many unneeded programs]
marc

So, you think the company that produces virus magnet software can produce antivirus? I don't think that's very good reasoning.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 8:45:05 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

of course not
i simply use the MS anti virus
that's all
marc

You don't trust MS brand virus magnet software, so you use MS brand anti virus. Did you study logic and reasoning some where, perhaps in school?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 3:20:39 PM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

i give up, you win
[life is too short]
marc

Linux
One email friend of mine swears by Avast. I've never tried it, can't comment from first hand knowledge.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 17/05/2016 16:45, Stormin Mormon wrote:

good, but Avast nags you more to upgrade to the paid version.
--
Bod

Per Stormin Mormon:

I swear by it - OTOH, I probably don't know enough to hold an informed opinion.... but I switched to Avast years ago when the paid anti-virus I was using became excessively intrusive.
Only infection I have had under Avast was when my macho son-in-law "OK'd" through Avast's dire warning screen and just *had* to open some attachment-or-another...... So the only thing on my Avast wish list is the ability to set it up on somebody's machine so they simply cannot dismiss warnings and go ahead with whatever the warning was against.
--
Pete Cresswell

Bitdefender is pretty good. You do need to register the software so it doesn't expire, but that's free.
http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html
I haven't used AV for many years. But you need to browse safely and recognize threats if you want to do that. (No risky stuff like letting Flash run.)
I install Avast for friends. It seems to be minimally intrusive with few false alarms. I've had multiple, reckless false alarms from Avira with my own software. Malwarebytes is even more reckless. Many of the companies seem to figure they won't get a bad reputation if they err on the side of caution.
The only thing I can suggest is to look through the settings. Shut off Internet filters, mail filters, application filters, etc. also shut off scanning of every file. Just let it check downloaded or executed files.
Terry Coombs wrote:

Avira got many good reviews . I'm testing it on the extracomp laptop before I put it on my desktop , the wife's laptop , and the server .
--
Snag

Let us know what you think of Avira when you finish testing.