Free antivirus recommendations ?

It seems Avast *might* be deliberately slowing computers down that don't buy their upgrades ... I installed AVG , it found a malicious file that can slow things down with an Avast identifier . Not that AVG is any better . It too is overgrown , trying to do too many things and using a lot of resources . So I'm looking for something that works well and isn't bloated with extras ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

IDK about free, but you can usually get McAffee, Norton, etc on Ebay for just a few bucks. What's available varies, but either one or the other is usually there at really low prices.

Reply to
trader_4

AVG has worked fine with this HP Pavilion P6000 series for years now Only once has something slipped by

Reply to
Shade Tree Guy

This should be marked OT,

bob_villain

i only use the MS security essentials

it works for a long long time, without problems

then if something pops up, i deal with it then [this strategy has worked for me, for years and years]

i used to think you needed more protection [i try not to install too many unneeded programs]

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

Linux

Reply to
notbob

So, you think the company that produces virus magnet software can produce antivirus? I don't think that's very good reasoning.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One email friend of mine swears by Avast. I've never tried it, can't comment from first hand knowledge.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Bitdefender is pretty good. You do need to register the software so it doesn't expire, but that's free.

Roger Blake

Both of them are extremely bloated

I just set up an XP machine with Comodo and it has not bogged down the machine...seems pretty decent.

Of course if one is using Win7 MSE should do the job

Reply to
philo

I haven't used AV for many years. But you need to browse safely and recognize threats if you want to do that. (No risky stuff like letting Flash run.)

I install Avast for friends. It seems to be minimally intrusive with few false alarms. I've had multiple, reckless false alarms from Avira with my own software. Malwarebytes is even more reckless. Many of the companies seem to figure they won't get a bad reputation if they err on the side of caution.

The only thing I can suggest is to look through the settings. Shut off Internet filters, mail filters, application filters, etc. also shut off scanning of every file. Just let it check downloaded or executed files.

Reply to
Mayayana

of course not

i simply use the MS anti virus

that's all

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

Avira got many good reviews . I'm testing it on the extracomp laptop before I put it on my desktop , the wife's laptop , and the server .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Why does it have to be free? Are you an Obamacrat?

Reply to
Dick

Nope , I just balk at paying a renewal fee annually for a roduct that I can get for free - that does all the same things , I just have to tell it when . Automatic everything is the Obamaway ... why lift a finger when you can get it done with no effort ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs

| Why does it have to be free?

They're pretty much all free. It's their business model: Offer it free for personal use as a loss leader, to get market share, then charge businesses.

You may not have noticed, but most software can be had free these days. Often the best is the free version. It's just the way the market has gone. I've paid for my disk imaging/partitioning tool, BootIt. I think it's well worth the price. I've also paid for Paint Shop Pro. Most other things I get for free. In many cases the alternative paid software is grossly overpriced, such as MS Office, Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat.

Recently I was looking for software to edit videos. I had a video taken with an iPhone. I wanted to shrink it, rotate it and save it in a different format. After a couple of hours finding software that didn't work or that cost $400+, I found Avidemux. It's free, very sophisticated, and did all I wanted easily. So why pay $400? If the other companies were charging more like $40 then maybe Avidemux wouldn't have been necessary.

Reply to
Mayayana

You don't trust MS brand virus magnet software, so you use MS brand anti virus. Did you study logic and reasoning some where, perhaps in school?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've used both here on my PC, Win 7, no problems, PC is still snappy and fine. I can't tell any difference in performance with and without McAfee

Reply to
trader_4

Show us where you can buy McAfee or Norton for free for personal use. Certainly not from them or through any of the retail outlets. There are people selling it on Ebay, through some questionable method, probably including getting what's supposed to be an OEM license and then retailing it. I've also seen it sold where it came bundled with a new PC and they are unbundling it. The only way I know you can get either of those for free is by buying it on a new PC where it's bundled in.

Reply to
trader_4

I've got Avira installed on 2 boxes now , both are much faster than with Avast or AVG .

Reply to
Terry Coombs