RE: AGV AntiVirus

I just upgraded to V7.x AGV Free (after being forced from 6.x). Guess what..it's removed all of the icons from the desktop, removed all of the desktop settings, reset all of IE6's settings, changed my home page AND wiped all of the last 2 years worth of emails from Outlook. In addition, there's no way to return to the old settings and they don't include an uninstall. Go somewhere else rather than upgrading unless you want to rebuild everything manually. R. Wink

Reply to
R. Wink

removed all of the icons from the desktop,

page AND wiped all of the last 2 years

settings and they don't include an uninstall.

What OS are you using? I've found XP with SP2 doesn't like the new AVG unless you get all the latest udgrades for SP2 installed first. 2 friends who use Netzero for their ISP had problems with NZ also until SP2 was updated...

Reply to
Stephen Young

Too bad you were not using GoBack.

Reply to
Leon

removed all of the icons from the desktop,

page AND wiped all of the last 2 years

settings and they don't include an uninstall.

Reply to
R. Wink

Still sounds like a program to avoid. We've always know you and "end user" and we'd not recognize you as "administrator".

Win XP has a nice utility called System Restore. Fixes a lot of problems.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

that AVG change my logged on person from "end user"

everything is as it should be..almost!! I don't

settings..not to bad.

Hmmmm.... AVG didn't change any of the login profiles selected on any of my machines. I upgrades 5 machines in the house this afternoon and didn't experience this at all. Weird.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Sounds like you need to log out and log back in under your user name... All that stuff you listed is what would be gone if you logged in as someone else. All your stuff is probably still there just as you left it. Your regular user account probably isn't set as an administrator, so it probably had to re-login as Administrator to set up AVG and that's what you're still logged in as.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan

I agree. I went to version 7 without any problem. Program asks if you want an uninstaller too.

Reply to
SawDust

Why is it the application's fault that he didn't remember who he logged in as to install the program? This is operator error, plain and simple, and has _nothing_ to do with the program. He logged in as administrator, and forgot to log back out to log in as himself, that's all.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Because, reading what he said, AVG changed the logged in person to administrator, not the operator

Unless I'm misinterpreting what he wrote, he did not log on as admin, the install program changed the user ID to admin

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

The guy posted the response on another NG- he did sign on as administrator- he simply never posted a clarification- his fault . Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

I don't think it's possible to do that transparently, and in my not insubstantial experience with the product, it does not do that.

I think it's pretty clear he's not sure what all he did, and assumed that the app was at fault when he didn't recognize or remember that he had logged in as admin. Easier to badmout a program, though, than to figure out what you screwed up, isn't it?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
R. Wink

That is really weird. I didn't think it was possible given what MS has done to protect the keystroke sequence.

Are you running "plain" MS logon software, or do you have some 3rd party software, like a fingerprint logon?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

dialog box or other information.

That's amazing. It's also amazing that, apparently, you don't have a password set for your admin account ?

logged in with my normal account which has

however it did change the video resolution

Still doesn't jibe with my experience. Something else is wrong with your box, AVG has _nothing_ to do with screen or mouse settings.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

warning, dialog box or other information. After I

and then logged in with my normal account which has

normal, however it did change the video resolution

Weird. Like I said, I installed in on 5 computers, all running either W2K or XP and had no such occurrences. What release of Windows are you running? The profiles that I installed each one under all had administrative privileges - don't know if that made a difference or not.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I never noticed any such user-Administrator change as you speak of. But my memory blows so bad its possible that happened, and I let it run because they state the program needs to be installed under Admin privileges.

So many things can mess this up. I was going nuts a little while ago because a number of apps I had deleted long ago, kept being reinstalled in the Startup menu. Everytime I tried to delete them, no matter how, they would insist on being reinstalled, no option. Even in my Admin account, I couldn't remove them.

I finally found that LavaSoft's Ad-Watch (not Ad-Aware) was behind this, deleted it, and everything thereafter worked as it should have.

Just an example of the kind of thing computers can do-

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Reply to
brocpuffs

Having no experience with the product, I couldn't say, I was only going by what was written.

Probably the case

Well, I always know that it's the table saw's fault whenever the really wide board I'm cutting winds up 1/8" too small because I'm taking it off of the off-fence side of the cut, so why shouldn't the same apply to software? :-)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Reply to
R. Wink

my normal and the administrator accounts use the

was advised by M/S to NOT use the administrators

notebook set up this way but this is the only one I've

9.78 software with buttons swapped. After installing

out of the box settings. Video is a Hitachi 801HR

custom color and the screen saver reverted to the

Like I said - wierd. Never saw this happen before. My server is the only computer in my house that runs a mouse driver similar to yours and it didn't suffer the problems you did. Don't know what to suggest, looks like you suffered a pretty unique case.

Reply to
Mike Marlow