Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

Hey man Rockford's the man... even better yet the old Maverick and even "Support your local sheriff" Hell Rockford files is still in syndication. Don't you just love it when a lock it picked on TV without the cylinder even moving and better yet sometimes the knob isn't even turned either.. I've even seen "no latch" on some of the doors and no bolts on safes.. got ta love tv and those comments from people "didn't take that long on tv" Roger

Yeah, Jim Rockfish (Rockford! Rockford!) was a pretty neat guy. I used to love that TV show.
"Just like on TV" or "just like the cops" is the reason I no longef own a flat bar for unlocking cars. I got tired of hearing that.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

"I can get one of them at the auto parts store. Matter of fact, my cousin Jimmy carries one in his trunk. I oughta just call him and save all that money you're charging me."
I did get a call once from a fellow locked out of his car, about 200 feet from an auto parts store. He'd walked in, and bought himself a harpoon style Slim Jim, and worked on his own car for awhile before calling a locksmith.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Why? Was your car made in the seventies, when Slim Jims worked?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

that's how I learned to drive "Like a bat out of hell!" then again it could've been the pizza delivery days about 25 years ago! lol

If the latch is deadlatching, you can't slip it with a credit card.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 08:32:18 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I picked up the locks at Home Depot and the five-inch latch at OSH because Home Depot doesn't carry them. I buy all my Craftsman tools at Sears.
That's about it for my general hardware needs. If I can't find it at one of those three hardware stores, I call someone to do the work.
I did believe the package instructions which said "easy to install", and "installs in minutes". My bad.
you wrote: "Ah, now we get some more information. You bought the locks at Home Depot. Well, that makes you a frugal home owner."
Which I suppose was your attempt at sarcasm. You then went on to bitch and whine that they didn't hire a locksmith, which I suppose I should agree with since theoretically I stand to benefit financially but being that I do all my own home repairs plumbing electrical etc I take issure with none the less. Not to mention that exchange of information for anybody who wants it is more or less why this forum exists. Now you come back sweet as candy suggesting that the seller might be able to help.
I think you have a split personality. I would assume you were being forged except you never post to complain that that's the case so after numerous instances I ruled it out. That said both general methods to get the cylinder out from the back have been posted several times. So you should know how by now and so should the OP..
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 07:03:37 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

You just want the key to be "right side" up? How do you know which side is the right side? :)
Why can't you just rotate the whole lock 180 degrees?
Every second house in my n'hood has a door that swings one way, and every first and third house, the door swings the other way. (or opens from the other side, depending on how you phrase it.) And I'm sure they all have Kwikset locks like I do. Do you want me to check which side of the keyhole goes up in my neighbors' locks?
For me, I think the key's teeth point up. Is that good or bad?

Where is it written what is up and what is down?
I believe the doorknob has to be turned the opposite direction also, depending on what side of the door the lock is, and that that would be true even if the keyhole were reversed top to bottom. Isn't that true of your previous lock? People learn to do that automatically with time.

mm wrote:

good. If the key's teeth point down, someday half a century down the road when one of the tumbler springs breaks or loses tension, you could be locked out of your house when one of the tumblers jams. If the teeth point up, then gravity will help the springs and as long as the lock isn't gummed up, it will open with the correct key even if there are *no* springs inside.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:31:28 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote:

Thank you Nate.
I can't stand locks lazily put in upside down.
The "teeth" should most definately point UP!
Anyone who does anything else, is paid too much!
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:31:06 -0500, mm wrote:

Hi mm,
Thank you for the advice.
Yes, I want the key to be "right side up". :) That means the flat part of the key blade is downward and the notched part of the key is upward.
If I rotate the whole lock/knob assembly 180 degrees laterally, the keyhole is on the INSIDE of the house instead of the OUTSIDE. If I rotate 180 degrees horzontally, I'd need a two-foot-long entry door latch coming out from the hinge side instead of a five-inch entry door latch protruducing from the door-lock side of the door. :)
I hope that explains things a bit. Good luck to you,

Because it will then be backwards with respect to the latch mechanism.

It's good and reversing the lock cylinder is a 30 second operation if you know how so it's not that big a deal for anybody who does many of them.

The pins are supposed to be up. It's been discussed to death already but the short answer is if they are down they will collect debris. A broken spring will also cause a lockout. In practice it will work for a long time pins down backwards or not and if the OP hasn't figured out how to reverse it yet they should just leave it like that.
Hell a kwikset has a hard enough time working with the pins up. try using you key in a back door that hasn't been used in a while. better have some wd-40 or the likes handy. You'll be lucky to even get the key in.. at least around here anyway.. coastal environments a bitch! lube lube lube.. preventative maintenance! Spray the internal parts down good with some LokShot by strattec or similar non drying lube PRIOR to installing it and it'll probably last as long as the manufacture thinks it's supposed to. Roger