sloppy Kwikset lock

My front door hasn't sealed well since I replaced the knob/latch with a Kwikset Tylo. The latching tongue has so much slop that after I push the door closed far enough to latch, the latch lets it come open about

2.5mm (0.1"). My weatherstripping doesn't have that much elasticity.

Is this just a bad design? Can the play be reduced?

Reply to
E Z Peaces

If the D strike has a "tongue" inside the latch hole, it is often used to fine tune the latch point. Just reach in with a small screwdriver or similar and bend the tab slightly.

.1 of an inch is less than 1/8". That would seem a normal tolerance in my opinion.

Reply to
DanG

Thanks. The strike is probably a century old. I'd have to do a lot of work on the jamb to fit a new strike. I've fooled around and somehow the play in the door is down from 2.5mm to .25mm. That pretty well solves the problem.

I see the end of the latch> If the D strike has a "tongue" inside the latch hole, it is often

Reply to
E Z Peaces